Slapstick comedy is funny but full of iffy stuff.

Kid, 7 years old April 26, 2011

A good movie with some innapropriate language

This is my favorite movie it's so funny Violence: The booby traps are violent. Language: Ass hell and one use of s--t
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 14, 2010

A little off, but everything you could want in a movie.

Me and James have seen it once. That's it. It was funny, but maybe a bit inappropriatte for a 7-year-old. Still, a great movie, I recommend it!
Adult Written by4Spice October 24, 2009

a funny cristmas classic

one of the best funny christmas movie ever made very funny anyone can watch its very funny
Educator and Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom April 9, 2008

Classic Movie--Pushes Some Limits

I loved this movie growing up, and so I bought it for my kids for Christmas. I forgot how horribly ugly the family members in this movie speak to one another and the reference to "nude beaches" at the beginning, and when Kevin finds the Playboy magazine after he realizes he's alone in the house and can go exploring wherever-whatever he wants. But if you can get past these bits (they could have made their point more innocently) the movie is funny and empowering for kids. There were times when I thought I should turn it off, but, as always, know your kids, and talk with them about the things they see! An aside--I am very surprised that Common Sense Media doesn't address the "nude beaches" and Playboy magazine reference in their reviews. I would have liked to have seen this prior to showing the movie to my children.
Adult Written bybethblac March 26, 2009

Filled with inappropriate language

I checked the CS review, so I was caught offguard by the inappropriate language. My son (age 8) was shocked that I had rented a movie with so many "bad words". Please use caution. This site has been so helpful, please review the older movies with the same care as the current movies.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 8 year old Written bymrssonnier82 December 26, 2009

This movie is not for yonger kids

Parent of a 1, 4, and 7 year old Written byMr. Brown November 26, 2010

Disrespect prevails...

There are many things with which to take issue in this movie, given the intended audience, but what bothered me the most was the disrespectful way in which Kevin (the main character) and his family interacted in the beginning of the movie. I felt that the premise (young child accidentally left home alone for days) and ensuing events (robbers attempting to burglarize the house and said child's ability to ward them off) were all too fantastic to have an undue negative influence on my 7-year-old. I was, however, concerned about my child seeing all the verbal disrespect from child to adult and from adult to child in the beginning of the film. The understanding in our household is that we fast forward the movie to the point where the family leaves Kevin at home and take it from there. Seems counter-intuitive that a child being left home is more appropriate viewing than a child being sassy to his family, but my son seems to understand the fictional nature of the former.
Parent Written byHans_L February 28, 2015

Funny flick for older children

I remember watching this as a teenager and I found it very funny... I don't remember laughing that hard at a movie ever. I recently tried to flashback to this experience and watch this with my kids and my six year old son was wrecked. Reality check for me. My son was bummed that the kid was forgotten by his parents, kid shoplifts, freaky old guys trying to break-in... we stopped it about 20-ish minutes in. It's funny if you're older and understand it's comedy but I didn't want to try to convince my kids this was funny. I was too bummed seeing this movie through my six year old's eyes. They'll 'get it' when they're older. For now, we'll leave this on the shelf.
Adult Written byCharliePATpk April 9, 2008
Parent Written byDenver77 December 27, 2013

Not exactly family friendly, more like a PG-13

Really is hard to tell any positive models or roles in this movie. Parental disobedience, undisciplined kid, watching violent movies, foul language, siblings bullying each other. Nested on all these are the laughs. We watch the first 20mins but we spent quite a bit of time explaining so many negative things to the kids that we had turn it off.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 18, 2011

Tweens are Ok But Nothing Younger

This Is Good But No Kids (Under The Age of 9).
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

Well...

This was an okay movie, and I gave it a pause because there were about four or five swear words (I'm a real stickler for profanity). Other than that, just about nothing is wrong. Lots, and I mean LOTS of namecalling, including moron, idiot, jerk, and so on. Violence is minimal: some blowtorch action, a man gets serious burns on his head and hands. Some glass in the foot. All is made to be humorous, though. That, and a PlayBoy magazine is shown, but nothing inappropriate.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bydnpseattle December 25, 2012

Language, bad behavior and one disturbing killing scene with an automatic rifle.

We were quite surprised (shocked) by the first 15 minutes of the movie and almost shut it off. There is a lot of disrespectful talk (words/phrases like: ass, moron, idiot, jerk, shut up) and behavior between Kevin and his siblings. The dialogue between Kevin and his mother is also pretty heavy. The Playboy magazine mentioned in another reviewer's post is something we just did not call attention to and it was fine. At the time of this writing, the Sandy Hook shootings are still fresh in our minds. After Kevin realizes he is alone, he begins eating junk food and watching TV. He picks an old black and white movie, Angels with Filthy Souls, to watch. Although heavily exaggerated, the scene in which the gangster shoots another gangster with a semi-automatic weapon while laughing maniacally is really disturbing. My kids have never seen this kind of gun violence on TV or in film. The gunmen then continues shooting at the fallen body (which is shown being shot) while laughing. Look, I get that this part if important for the plot of the movie, but it was gratuitous and unnecessary. After the first 20 minutes, the movie continues to be somewhat rude. Yes the pranks Kevin plays on the burglars are terrible, but they are obviously exaggerated (and funny). Yes, Kevin is smart and resourceful, but we felt we needed to emphasize with our kids that the pranks, which led to no real harm in the movie, would have a very different outcome in the the real world. In the end, the movie ended up being OK, but the first 15-20 minutes really left a bitter aftertaste. I could have skipped this movie...and kind of wished that I had.
Adult Written byEvildrunkbee February 12, 2011

Great for older children and adults but not under 7

Ok so I remember seeing this movie when I was about 10 and at that point I was old enough to know this movie was unrealistic and for pure entertainment. Now as an expectant mother watching with my 4-year old nephew, I have had to mute and fast forward many scenes to avoid exposing him to anything offensive. I would not recommend this for any child under 7 and even at that age I would still mute the bad words and fast forward through the mobster movie scenes, the disrespectful family at the beginning, and hope my kid wouldn't get any ideas for setting dangerous traps in my house. As an adult, I love this movie and still find it amusing and highly quotable, but not for young audiences.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNory Ryan October 17, 2010

overall pretty good

This is an okay movie good for older kids but definately not younger than seven.
Teen, 14 years old Written byethanct86 January 3, 2016

An engaging, heart-felt annual tradition

“I don't want any family. Families suck!” Producer Mark Levinson said that once in a while, every kid thinks that if they could get rid of their parents and vice versa, life would be great. Chris Columbus’s 1990 hit Christmas film, Home Alone, shapes that wish into a clever tale with the addition of burglars. Left home alone, Kevin, the eight-year old victim of sibling bullying, becomes the man of the deserted household, and like a responsible child, enjoys everything once forbidden by his parents, washes the clothes, shops for milk and dinner, and defends the house, with all the wild resourcefulness a child can muster, against a pair of burglars who are fishing for “Silver Tuna” homes during the holidays. Home Alone is a well-written tale with clever booby traps, comical, lumbering burglars and strong family values. Unfortunately, this film is not completely laudable in both content and quality. Due to Kevin’s deterring, but simple snares, mildly-strong language is steadily and sporadically spouted out by the angry bandits with Kevin rejoining every so often to discourage them. Also, Kevin, his siblings and other family members repeatedly name-call each other near the beginning. A classic for (most) ages, the entertaining plot held me on the edge of my seat, while keeping me laughing and wincing at the asinine sufferings of the bandits. But however well-written the script and storyline was, I downright detested the unpleasant acting, chiefly of Kevin and his family. Although a couple veteran actors made appearances in it, even their performances were particularly rotten. Excepting Joe Pesci’s convincing performance as Harry Lime, the dreadful awkwardness of blank and unemotional neophyte actors constantly diverted my attention away from the themes of the film. I’ve mentioned theme and plot frequently. Written by John Hughes, the characters of the film, though some appear useless to the film’s plot, fit flawlessly into the importance of the film. For instance, Old Man Marley seems to be just another object of dread and fright for Kevin, but throughout the course of the film, we learn the truth about him along with many life-lessons exchanged between them. Although slightly overused by family movies, the positive elements in this film are quite strong and emphasized, significantly engulfing the expletives and violence, hence earning my high content rating. When they discover the loss of their child, Kevin’s mother, Kate (Catherine O’Hara), expresses her remorse and love as she sacrifices all her possessions and sleep while she attempts to return alone to their home in Chicago with caring donors providing transportation for every leg. Scored by John Williams, Home Alone’s memorable “Somewhere in My Memory” yet again illustrates these ideals. While not the best acted or produced Christmas flick, the superb plot, humor, lessons and implications make Home Alone an engaging, heart-felt annual tradition.
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2011

"inappropriate" but well-done

A good classic slapstick comedy movie that makes kids take a hit, since there is some sexual innuendo such as old Playboy magazines, and there is some salty language. A good tween movie if they can take violent, sexual, and potty-mouthed hits.
Teen, 13 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 January 5, 2011

sooo cute!

Although lots of slapstick falls and trips, this is a family-friendly movie with lots of comedy!! Kevin is very resourceful and smart, but that's the only reason I marked role models. There might be some iffy content for anyone under 8.
Adult Written bysafa977 April 9, 2008

A great movie

Some moderate words like "cr*p" "a**" but nothing sever.
Teen, 14 years old Written byIlovemoviesreviews December 8, 2015

Extremely Funny! But not for young kids.

This is my favorite Christmas movie that is so freakin funny! While it's funny not for the whole family. Has to much language used out loud. I know some people think it should be PG-13, but I feel like it should stick to PG. After all PG stands for Parental Guidance right? So I know I how many kids movies these days are PG but that doesn't mean it's appropriate for or made for kids. So if you find your kid watching an inappropriate movie that was rated PG, maybe instead of blaming the MPAA, you have checked less than 1 minute to look at the PG rating to warn you that this movie isn't 100% kid friendly. That's reality parents, just because I film is PG does not mean it's for kids.