All member reviews for Home Alone

Kid, 7 years old April 26, 2011

A good movie with some innapropriate language

This is my favorite movie it's so funny Violence: The booby traps are violent. Language: Ass hell and one use of s--t
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 14, 2010

A little off, but everything you could want in a movie.

Me and James have seen it once. That's it. It was funny, but maybe a bit inappropriatte for a 7-year-old. Still, a great movie, I recommend it!
Adult Written by4Spice October 24, 2009

a funny cristmas classic

one of the best funny christmas movie ever made very funny anyone can watch its very funny
Educator and Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom April 9, 2008

Classic Movie--Pushes Some Limits

I loved this movie growing up, and so I bought it for my kids for Christmas. I forgot how horribly ugly the family members in this movie speak to one another and the reference to "nude beaches" at the beginning, and when Kevin finds the Playboy magazine after he realizes he's alone in the house and can go exploring wherever-whatever he wants. But if you can get past these bits (they could have made their point more innocently) the movie is funny and empowering for kids. There were times when I thought I should turn it off, but, as always, know your kids, and talk with them about the things they see! An aside--I am very surprised that Common Sense Media doesn't address the "nude beaches" and Playboy magazine reference in their reviews. I would have liked to have seen this prior to showing the movie to my children.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 8 year old Written bymrssonnier82 December 26, 2009

This movie is not for yonger kids

Adult Written bybethblac March 26, 2009

Filled with inappropriate language

I checked the CS review, so I was caught offguard by the inappropriate language. My son (age 8) was shocked that I had rented a movie with so many "bad words". Please use caution. This site has been so helpful, please review the older movies with the same care as the current movies.
Parent of a 1, 4, and 7 year old Written byMr. Brown November 26, 2010

Disrespect prevails...

There are many things with which to take issue in this movie, given the intended audience, but what bothered me the most was the disrespectful way in which Kevin (the main character) and his family interacted in the beginning of the movie. I felt that the premise (young child accidentally left home alone for days) and ensuing events (robbers attempting to burglarize the house and said child's ability to ward them off) were all too fantastic to have an undue negative influence on my 7-year-old. I was, however, concerned about my child seeing all the verbal disrespect from child to adult and from adult to child in the beginning of the film. The understanding in our household is that we fast forward the movie to the point where the family leaves Kevin at home and take it from there. Seems counter-intuitive that a child being left home is more appropriate viewing than a child being sassy to his family, but my son seems to understand the fictional nature of the former.
Teen, 13 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 January 5, 2011

sooo cute!

Although lots of slapstick falls and trips, this is a family-friendly movie with lots of comedy!! Kevin is very resourceful and smart, but that's the only reason I marked role models. There might be some iffy content for anyone under 8.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

Well...

This was an okay movie, and I gave it a pause because there were about four or five swear words (I'm a real stickler for profanity). Other than that, just about nothing is wrong. Lots, and I mean LOTS of namecalling, including moron, idiot, jerk, and so on. Violence is minimal: some blowtorch action, a man gets serious burns on his head and hands. Some glass in the foot. All is made to be humorous, though. That, and a PlayBoy magazine is shown, but nothing inappropriate.
Adult Written bysafa977 April 9, 2008

A great movie

Some moderate words like "cr*p" "a**" but nothing sever.
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2011

"inappropriate" but well-done

A good classic slapstick comedy movie that makes kids take a hit, since there is some sexual innuendo such as old Playboy magazines, and there is some salty language. A good tween movie if they can take violent, sexual, and potty-mouthed hits.
Kid, 8 years old July 3, 2011

okay movie for okay kids

language. mild language.violence very strong
Adult Written byEvildrunkbee February 12, 2011

Great for older children and adults but not under 7

Ok so I remember seeing this movie when I was about 10 and at that point I was old enough to know this movie was unrealistic and for pure entertainment. Now as an expectant mother watching with my 4-year old nephew, I have had to mute and fast forward many scenes to avoid exposing him to anything offensive. I would not recommend this for any child under 7 and even at that age I would still mute the bad words and fast forward through the mobster movie scenes, the disrespectful family at the beginning, and hope my kid wouldn't get any ideas for setting dangerous traps in my house. As an adult, I love this movie and still find it amusing and highly quotable, but not for young audiences.
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2011

The only funny parts were the traps that the kids set up at the end.
Kid, 8 years old December 26, 2010

this is the coolest movie ever!
Teen, 14 years old Written byNory Ryan October 17, 2010

overall pretty good

This is an okay movie good for older kids but definately not younger than seven.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 September 17, 2010

Funny for kids

Home Alone is kind of funny, but I don't love it as much as I used to. There is sole slapstick violence, but it's a bit realistic (although there is no blood). Kevin uses several household objects (doors, toys) in order to hit the criminals that break into his house. Some people use curse words like, "h*ll" and "d*mn". One thing that I think I should warn you is that Kevin gets away with doing mischevious/dangerous things.
Parent of a 12, 19, 20, and 25 year old Written byhenrysessions December 9, 2008

Caution for kids under 12

I watched this a few years ago with my daughters when they were about 14 and 16 and we loved it. Rented it recently for my 10-year old son and was really shocked at how rough and disrespectful the family members are to each other in the first few minutes. We bailed out early. This is a classic, fun, inventive movie but with some really snarky, harsh dialogue. Not to mention the cartoonish violence. I'd say 12+ on this one.
Adult Written byCharliePATpk April 9, 2008

Parent Written byDenver77 December 27, 2013

Not exactly family friendly, more like a PG-13

Really is hard to tell any positive models or roles in this movie. Parental disobedience, undisciplined kid, watching violent movies, foul language, siblings bullying each other. Nested on all these are the laughs. We watch the first 20mins but we spent quite a bit of time explaining so many negative things to the kids that we had turn it off.