All member reviews for Home Alone

Slapstick family holiday comedy brings the pain.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bydnpseattle December 25, 2012

Language, bad behavior and one disturbing killing scene with an automatic rifle.

We were quite surprised (shocked) by the first 15 minutes of the movie and almost shut it off. There is a lot of disrespectful talk (words/phrases like: ass, moron, idiot, jerk, shut up) and behavior between Kevin and his siblings. The dialogue between Kevin and his mother is also pretty heavy. The Playboy magazine mentioned in another reviewer's post is something we just did not call attention to and it was fine. At the time of this writing, the Sandy Hook shootings are still fresh in our minds. After Kevin realizes he is alone, he begins eating junk food and watching TV. He picks an old black and white movie, Angels with Filthy Souls, to watch. Although heavily exaggerated, the scene in which the gangster shoots another gangster with a semi-automatic weapon while laughing maniacally is really disturbing. My kids have never seen this kind of gun violence on TV or in film. The gunmen then continues shooting at the fallen body (which is shown being shot) while laughing. Look, I get that this part if important for the plot of the movie, but it was gratuitous and unnecessary. After the first 20 minutes, the movie continues to be somewhat rude. Yes the pranks Kevin plays on the burglars are terrible, but they are obviously exaggerated (and funny). Yes, Kevin is smart and resourceful, but we felt we needed to emphasize with our kids that the pranks, which led to no real harm in the movie, would have a very different outcome in the the real world. In the end, the movie ended up being OK, but the first 15-20 minutes really left a bitter aftertaste. I could have skipped this movie...and kind of wished that I had.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJo Blow December 20, 2011

Funny Movie!

Funny movie. Also one of my favorite Christmas films. One use of "s--t", other mild uses of "hell". "ass", and "d-mn"
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 18, 2011

Tweens are Ok But Nothing Younger

This Is Good But No Kids (Under The Age of 9).
Teen, 14 years old Written bydavstern1500 October 10, 2011

One of the greatest family comedies

Family comedy, great one. In reality, the traps would've caused lots more damage. But hey, it's a kid's movie. For more information, contact me on YouTube - davstern1500
Kid, 11 years old July 25, 2011

Makes Me Laugh

Harry mumbles some words under his breath that you might be able to hear, but I love this movie for a great family holiday.
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2011

WICKED MOVIE

home alone is sooooo funny and i love the traps that Kevin makes and the only thing that's a bit worrying is the language but overall it's a defenite rcommendation to all
Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2011

perfect for family

I love this movie!! it is the best movie to get you into the christmas spirit!!
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bybitsinator January 12, 2010

Learned this the hard way - NOT appropriate for younger kids

I remembered loving this movie when it came out. Turns out my 4-yr-old loves it too -- but not for good reasons. Lots of VERY rude language/attitude from all characters (including main character) in the beginning, before Kevin gets left "home alone." I finally had to erase it from our DVR when too much of the rude language was being "tested" in our house and at daycare. I was also very uncomfortable with the use of the gangster movie, in which a mafioso very explicitly shoots and kills another man with a Tommy gun -- lots of aggression, bad language, and BULLETS. If I could have edited out the use of the gangster movie and all the bad language in the beginning it would have been fine. The "wet bandits" ended up being the least of our problems and his favorite part. (Although he has started asking at bedtime whether any robbers are coming to our house.) I'll save it for when he's 7.
Kid, 12 years old November 8, 2009

A GREAT FILM FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!!!!!!

This is one of my favorite holiday family films!!!!!!!! It's funny,amusing,and awsome!!!!! But the reason i say it's IFFY for age 8 is because there is strong language and over the top vilonce including a scene that show a man shout another man in FULL display.
Parent of a 8, 14, 18, 22, and 24 year old Written by6_Grandchildren April 17, 2009

AWFUL

Oh no no no no no! This is a horrid film because all children under the age of 18 that live in a household will be afraid of this movie! They will think that some terrible people would be after them in their OWN HOME (a place that is supposed to be comforting) also, the idiotic parents that allow their children to stay home alone, will wet their pants just as much as their children! tisk tisk!
Kid, 11 years old March 24, 2015

Amazing film!

I really loved this film! It was so awesome and funny! The ending is very emotional and touching :)! But, wouldn't recommend for kids under 8. Has the word sh_t, but its just used once. Also includes ass, but not that many too innapropriate words.
Parent Written byHans_L February 28, 2015

Funny flick for older children

I remember watching this as a teenager and I found it very funny... I don't remember laughing that hard at a movie ever. I recently tried to flashback to this experience and watch this with my kids and my six year old son was wrecked. Reality check for me. My son was bummed that the kid was forgotten by his parents, kid shoplifts, freaky old guys trying to break-in... we stopped it about 20-ish minutes in. It's funny if you're older and understand it's comedy but I didn't want to try to convince my kids this was funny. I was too bummed seeing this movie through my six year old's eyes. They'll 'get it' when they're older. For now, we'll leave this on the shelf.
Kid, 11 years old February 27, 2015

Good Holiday Movie, but Mild Violence.

Mild violence. Good holiday family movie. Some bloody stuff and bandits get beat up while trying to rob a house, with a kid alone in it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew February 24, 2015

Really funny beginning of the series

My rating:PG for rude humor and language
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2015

Language Not So Good

I think the language is horrible for little kids the whole entire way. The violence is way too much for a sensitive kid to take for sure let alone the language. I say to know your 9 year old well, and make the choice based on maturity.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybtoc007 December 28, 2014

Retard kid misses plane

The only bad thing in this movie is the violence. The kid was being a idiot so his parents forgot to bring him on vacation. So some robbers try to get in the house. But the kid is so smart that he beats fully grown men.
Kid, 10 years old December 10, 2014

Educator and Parent Written byjonnyb7800 November 25, 2014

Written byAnonymous October 10, 2014

Classic John Hughes "family comedy without the family" is perfect for kids

This is a fan-spanking-tastic movie but it does have some brief violence (Kevin watches a movie where a guy shoots a another guy, the old man whacks the burglars in the head with a shovel, some comic violence) but the language is surprisingly not bad. (sucks, hell, jerk(s), frickin') All in all, it's perfect for kids and anyone who wants to enjoy a classic John Hughes movie.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 5, 2014

I see no problem with it

I adore this movie, it is one movie that I watch every Christmas, nothing in the film actually strikes me as anything to really worry about with your child, there might be a slight fright near the end, but it is quickly resolved in a satisfying way and shouldn't really frighten most children. I wouldn't say this film is troublesome at all.