All member reviews for Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

Silly but occasionally scary '80s movie has lots of peril.

Parent Written byhayleybritt August 21, 2013

French Kissing and the Ant

The reviewer failed to mention the French kissing scene between the two oldest neighbors. Not something I wanted my daughter to see....tongue on tongue action. No. Also, spoiler alert, (24 years later) the ant dies. He was a friend! A pet! My daughter was crushed by this! I think she actually needed to see it for her emotional development...or whatever, but I would have liked to have had a warning. Not fun when Mom says, "It'll be ok, everything turns out ok....oh sorry. I forgot. The ant dies."

good movie,very intense fantasy violence and peril however...

one part is NOT for sensitive kids. the characters friend,the cute and fun ant,is killed by a skunkbag scorpion,in a suprisingly gruesome fashion.I ran into my kitchen blatting all night on that one part.awesome movie overall however!!!must see for kids of whom arent sensitive.
Adult Written bySurfer_Clock April 9, 2008

Classic family fun

As a Disney Cast Member who works at the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" playground at Disney's Hollywood Studios, I -may- be a little biased here...nonetheless, being able to work in an area which allows me to reminisce upon my childhood is a dream come true. Many kids who come to our playgorund haven't seen the movie it's based on, and the generation gap is only growing. It's a sad thing, really...but the movie's great! Visual effects are on par with 1989, and I don't feel at all concerned with the 'violence' they speak of. Kids are going to have to face facts about the food chain eventually, and what better way to start? I'd recommend this movie to any macro/micro fans...(shameless plug) and after that, come visit the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground at Disney's Hollywood Studios for more sizable fun!
Kid, 10 years old July 10, 2010

Great Movie

2 neighbors connect when a father screws up a good movie.
Parent Written byWagEts January 12, 2013

beware of the language

The movie was great for our 6- and 8-year olds, but there are a few scarey parts they had to be talked through. But I can't believe the language wasn't noted.They used Stupid incessantly, there were instances of idiot and there was a "why the hell?"
Parent Written bydharder February 26, 2012

Good movie, just watch for the word "stupid" with little kids around.

This movie is pretty good, but little kids should be talked to about the ant vs. scorpion scene and depending on personal preference, the word "stupid" is used a few times which might not be ok with some parents.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfluffy gizmo July 7, 2014

Honey I scared my young kids

Parents should know this movie can scare kids under 7.Kids get attacked by a scorpion,run away from a lawn mower,and one almost gets eaten by the father.
Educator and Parent Written byEmangina June 12, 2013

I Shrunkified My Kids

I love this movie and enjoyed sharing it with my children (14, 5, and 4) recently. My only concerns were the smoking scene and it was a little intense at times (drowning scene). But overall it is a great family movie =)
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2009

I like it

I'ts awesome!!!!
Adult Written bywahoostampingirl April 9, 2008

OK for family viewing

We watched this with our 5 1/2 year old twins. Parts of it were rather intense for them (ant v. scorpion fight), but overall we enjoyed it. However, this is not a movie that I would let them watch by themselves. They had many questions and needed reassuring that everything would be fine in the end.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byvalleymomma October 4, 2014

Potentially traumatic for the sensitive. Spoiler alert

My 6.5 year old cried for an hour after the death of the ant. She sailed through the Disney princess movies where the parents die at the beginning. But this was a little more graphic; you see the scorpion sting the ant. And the ant was a sympathetic character adopted like a pet. I wish I waited a few years before letting her watch it.
Adult Written bywonder dove September 21, 2012

Clean fun for all!

Honey, I shrunk the kids was one of my favorite movies growing up. I'd even watch it as a teen and it never gets old. A very fun, engaging movie for kids and teens with lots of laughs and fantasy action - you can't go wrong! When Dad's shrinking machine gets hit by a baseball from the upstairs window triggering the on switch, it shrinks big sister Amy and her little brother along with two kid neighbors that happened to go upstairs to find their ball. The kids must work together to find a way to get noticed. I think the positive message here is that you should always try your best to cope through hard times, and that when you put your mind to it, you can achieve anything. Also about getting along with others and giving people a chance. There is one fight scene between an innocent ant and a scorpion (my sister cried when the ant died, she was about 6, so please be aware), also some bickering between the kids and some arguing. Also a boy crushes on a girl and shares one kiss, watches her through her kitchen window while she dances - some mild flirting and a brief scene of playing "footsies" under the table at the very end. Some smoking by a parent. Good action fun for families with kids over 5.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydressagehorse November 23, 2011

One of the best

This is one of the few movies that has made it onto my top all-time favorite movies. It is hilarious and the actors all play their parts very well, along with having a fun adventure along the way. A perfect family movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPS2freek April 9, 2008

cheap effects

the grass and bugs look so fake and underbugeted. the storyline is boring. however it is a good way to help kids develop their imaginations cause the young ones will be playing "tiny" after they see this movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 3, 2014

One of the best family films

Kids will love this, and it has enough in cool fx and sly humor to entertain older audiences, to. 6+?
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Fun fantasy, good values

In addition to the marvelous fantasy of 4 children reduced to the size of dust specks by a science project gone awry, this is a great story of two feuding families that eventually see beyond their differences and become friends.
Parent Written byT Dv July 9, 2012

It was okay, not great

It was okay--a little slow to get going for my daughter. Nothing about it disturbed my child--she likes drama and action--but she's not asked to see it again, either. She thought it was okay, but not great. There's one scene where one of the children seems to have drowned in mud, but after just a moment, you realize she's fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 2, 2009

This "classic" isn't so good.

For a classic, this film wasn't special. It wasn't even that funny.
Adult Written bynina1978 April 9, 2008
Parent Written byUWSmom October 12, 2014

careful of the emotions

Daughter age 7 burst into tears when the helpful ant died. And continued sobbing. Overall the movie glosses over the ins and outs of emotional connections, with both humans and animals.