All member reviews for Hook

A clumsy mishmash of a comedy.

Parent Written byMomandpsychologist September 28, 2010

Fun for kids who like Peter Pan, with some objections to think about

I watched this movie with my 8 year old son and 9 year old daughter; we all enjoyed it. Very nice special effects and visual appeal: snowy London, Neverland sunsets, etc. This would make the movie particularly enjoyable on a large-screen TV. The story stays faithful to the themes of the original Peter Pan, which means that if your children know and like that story they will particularly enjoy this one. No greater violence and scariness than in the original. Hook is menacing but doesn't do a lot of significant damage so any children who know the story but can't handle seeing characters really get hurt will be ok. I took minor objection to 5 things: 1. a pirate who has betrayed Hook is put in the "boo box" - a cramped barrel where small yucky creatures (spiders? snakes?) are fed through a window into the box with him in order to scare him. If you're sensitive, this feels like a nasty torture scene; however, it lasts for only a few seconds and the worst part is the part where the pirate is forced into the box. 2. at one point Tinkerbell turns herself human-sized, and she is wearing an off-the-shoulder gown; she kisses the adult Peter Pan romantically and somewhat breathlessly, and reveals that she loves him. He rejects her because he loves his wife and kids. The scene is brief and not too explicit, but if you feel as I do that romantic scenes have no place in children's movies, then it was an unnecessary disappointment. Really, shouldn't Tinkerbell stay a fairy? Why do romance and unrequited love have to be introduced into this story? 3. In one scene Hook slashes the adult Pan's arm with his hook; you don't see blood but you do see the slash; again, it's quick; 4. Hook stabs and kills one of the main Lost Boys - you don't see blood but the death is sad; 5. one of the lost boys is overweight and this is sort of exploited - he rolls up into a ball and knocks pirates over; 6. the movie continues upon and expands the themes of sad/painful loss from the original - the lost boys wish they had a mother, the dying lost boy reveals his wish that he had had a father, Tinkerbell will never see Pan again, etc. Overall, however, I recommend the movie as fun and visually appealing especially for kids who like the original.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 6 year old Written byplayafromdahimalaya January 2, 2011

Great movie, could have done without some of the language.

Loved it and my boys loved it. Could have done without some of the language, especially the long name calling session though :( Examples: "What the hell are you doing?" - father to son Fornication blubber butt "Get off your ass"
Teen, 16 years old Written byPianoForEver December 19, 2010

Good for the whole family!

This movie was one of my favorites growing up. Because it's never too scary I think it's great for younger kids and because it is so funny it's good for older kids too.
Adult Written bycourtwork April 17, 2014

Love this movie

I had not seen this movie since it was originally released, and watched it with my almost 8 year old daughter the other day. To me, it's right up there with "The Princess Bride" for quality, originality, creativity and superb acting. Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Smith, and Arthur Malet top my list from this all star cast. Julia Roberts is perhaps the weakest link, but she was in her hay day in 1991. I was so surprised when I discovered that this movie was made that long ago. It is truly timeless. The cell phones are ridiculously large and a big deal is made of traveling overseas, which is commonplace for execs now, but the "Cat's in the Cradle" theme along with the fantastic adventure of the lost boys is timeless. I was struck by the difference in my experience, seeing this movie before having kids the first time, and now as a parent. It pulled at my heart in so many more ways. My daughter was nervous in some parts - when Hook comes to take the children (I would not have wanted her to see this in the theater at 7), and also the boo box was freaky for her. The movie is long - over 2 hours, and she was fully engaged the whole time. Again, it made me yearn for more movies of this quality instead of the formulated fart joke films that the studios churn out today. The costumes, the creativity, the story line... this is truly a collective work of art vs. just a movie product. I can't wait to watch this one with the whole family, it is a perfect family movie night pick in my opinion. Perhaps my favorite thing about the movie is that it is truly for boys, and portrays boys as they truly are with no compromise to make sure girls feel included or empowered. How refreshing! There is some swearing and some violence, however, I HIGHLY recommend this movie for anyone 8 years old and up. More sensitive kids may need to be 9. Enjoy this great film!
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2011

Good movie

Educator and Parent Written byBstanella October 12, 2014

Inappropriate and underlying messages

Did not enjoy this movie neither did my 7 year old boy . We changed it half way through . Suicidal tendencies by Hook , 2 mermaids kissing Peter Pan ( my son commented on that saying why would they show this if it's for kids and why would they kiss Peter Pan if they are not even in a relationship ) it was a U on sky movies . Don't see how this movie can be a U . I'm a parent who is careful about what my boys watch and I'm always looking at the underlying messages of children's movies as not all of them are as innocent as they may come across . If you are like me I'll say stay away from this movie if you have young children . My boys are 7 and 4 . Not sure what the rest of the movie was like but I'm sure it got progressively worst.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmile08 June 17, 2012

Hook: I really enjoyed it :)

I thought Hook was a pretty good movie. There isn't any bad language except the dad yells at his kid and it is hurtful. It is a little violent since Hook stabs a boy in the torso and kills him. Other than that it tries to get the message across to Peter Pan that he needs to not be so engrossed in his job and spend time with his kids before they grow up. Kids 9 and up will like it. I enjoyed the satisfying ending, and I believe kids will like yet another twist on the reality of Peter Pan.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 May 9, 2011

Fantastic Twist To Peter Pan!

Like Robin William's Mrs. Doubtfire, this family friendly film portrays Williams as a father. Peter Pan fell in love with Wendy's grandaughter and did not go back to Neverland until Hook kidnaps his kids. Spoilers Some mild language, and Hook kill Rupio the lost boy in one said scene, and he tells Peter that he wishes he had a dad like him before he dies. It's a sad scene and may confuse little ones.
Kid, 10 years old November 30, 2009

Me and my cousins watched this last summer and it was awesome. Even though i don't like the idea of Peter Pan becomeing a lawyer.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Great fun for the family

Excellent job by Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman. This was the best kids movie in years. Such fun and fantastic fantasy!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow November 4, 2012

A bit disappointing, but still fun

When I saw the poster for this movie, I got hyped. I was like, you got Robin Williams as Peter Pan, Dustin Hoffman as Captain Hook, and Bob Hoskins as Smee? That's the best casting a studio could do with Peter Pan! So I watched it. But when it started, I got very confused. Why is Peter Pan a lawyer? Why does he keep calling himself Peter Banning? So I looked the film up while I was watching, and I found out it's a film SEQUEL to the original Peter Pan story. I had absolutely no idea! I thought the film was just another film adaptation of the story. Does the title "Hook" give any indication of being a sequel? Why not call it "Peter Pan 2" or something like that? I never read the original "Peter Pan" stories, nor did I watch the animated Disney film, so I was very confused at the storyline. Everything seemed garbled and misguided, and there were more than a dozen plotholes. I was seriously staring at the clock half the time. But this film does have some plusses. The art direction and visual effects were strikingly beautiful, and the musical score was jolly and upbeat. But like I said earlier, its best saving grace is the casting. Robin Williams has enormous energy as Peter Pan, Dustin Hoffman is strikingly menacing and humorous as Captain Hook, and Bob Hoskins is deadpan and silly enough to fit the role of Smee. The two child stars were also fun and dedicated, and Maggie Smith is a great Grandma. The only actress I didn't like was Julia Roberts as Tinker Bell; I thought she was just too annoying and steryotypically she acted. But I digress. The plot will probably please fans of the Peter Pan stories, but everyone else will only go for the visuals.
Kid, 12 years old September 15, 2010

luv it!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2010

One dark pierate who slashes peters hand with tharshing blood nah just kidding just about 8 cm but ultrla violient
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

I know some people who love Hook but I am not one of them...I found it to be somewhat dull and annoying. The story Peter Pan was already a great fairy tale, so why did Steven Spielberg need to change it? If it isn't broke, don't fix it! I found that the modern changes brought to Hook were irritating. Rufio and the Lost Boys are mostly obnoxious punks. Peter Pan is a lawyer. And Tinkerbell is...Julia Roberts? Hook wasn't a horrible movie but you wouldn't be missing anything if you didn't see it.
Parent Written byrebsy July 24, 2015

Trigger warning: some content related to suicide in the film

My primary concern about this film is Hook's suicidal ideation: at one point, he pulls out a gun, aims it at his head and tells Smee repeatedly that he is planning to end it all and not to try to stop him. While this scene is short, it was painful for my family. The rest of the film is relatively sweet, if formulaic.
Kid, 9 years old June 5, 2015

And I thought movies couldn't get better since Big Hero 6!

This movie was truly amazing! Best line: "Oh my, a wall!" It's a horrible shame that Robin Williams died last year. I laughed and cried, and I haven't done that since Lion King. Tink is a positive role model when she helps Peter prepare for his battle. Common Sense can do WAAAY better than three stars for this movie!!!!
Adult Written byh.mac April 24, 2015

GREAT MOVIE

Great for a family movie night and A great twist on the fairytail.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 18, 2012

It's Okay

Not Steven Speilberg's best, kids will like it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner April 4, 2011

A feel good movie that brings out the love in Peter Pan

Funny, imaginative, and creatively thought-out, Hook tells about what Peter Pan's life is like now. As a buisness man, a successful grown-up, and a bad father. That is, until Captain Hook kidnaps his children and Peter must rejoin "the lost boys" in order to get his kids back from the dastardly pirate. Swears and violence between pirates and kids are potrayed throuout the story. As long as your 10 and up I'd think you'd be responsible enough to see Hook. Even my 5th Grade teacher enjoyed this movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilightgirl137 May 30, 2010

Happy thoughts!

Language is not that much of a problem. The volence is an issue, but that's Peter Pan to you! The Educational part is to always find your happy thoughts!