Sweet, clumsy family film about saving owls.

Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN February 16, 2011

A cute movie that shows kids that they should stand up for what they belive in and what's right.

Roy has moved around his whole life; so when his family moves to Coconut Cove he hopes he isn't staying too long. Bullied on the school bus by Dana Matherson, Roy sees a kid running super fast. The weird thing? The kid wasn't wearing any shoes. One day Roy follows the kid, and embarks on a journey with the boy (who we learn to call Mullet Fingers), and Beatrice, the boy's sister, to save a small population of owls on a soon-to-be Mother Paula's Pancake House property. Together they run into some obstacles, which they overcome with some pretty intuitive schemes. The movie is nicely tied together by the beautiful Florida wildlife and the movie soundtrack, which includes songs by Jimmy Buffet. (He also has a small role in the movie!)
Kid, 12 years old April 9, 2010

A see-once-and-forget movie

Pretty good movie. I don't remember anything that terrible in it. The acting was cute and all, but not a movie I would watch again.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLissaNicky April 30, 2010

Okay

We watched this movie right after reading the novel in school and I thought it was Ok. Not bad not great.
Adult Written byjimmygu3 April 9, 2008

Two wrongs don't make a right

I had to have a talk with my 5 and 7-year old after this movie. Besides the fact that the movie itself was not that well executed, my main problem with it involved the "moral" of the story. The main characters engage in vandalism, theft and even kidnapping in the name of good. But they never even try going through the proper channels to achieve what they want. They could have put up flyers around town explaining the situation to the people, talked to the Mayor, called the corporate headquarters, organized a boycott if necessary, etc. But instead we are supposed to excuse all the law breaking because the "cause was just" and the bad guys were unlikable buffoons. I'm all for protecting wildlife, but this film sends the wrong message in my book.
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Sweet family film is fine for kids 9+

Sexual Content (Not an Issue): A commercial starts out with "Are you a big boy with a big appetite?" said sultrily. Mullet Fingers is seen shirtless and Dana is shown in his underwear only. Beatrice runs away to Roy's house, where he lets her spend the night (but they don't do anything sexual). Violence (Pause): Roy is hit in the head with a golf ball two times. Dana bullies Roy by shoving his face into a bus window and gagging him (with Roy punching him for doing so, and we later see a large welt on Dana). Mullet Fingers is attacked by a dog, and we briefly see his bloody wound. Mullet Fingers has a construction worker tied up and gagged after he tries to kill the owls. Language (Not an Issue): None other than a few uses of "Oh my God". However, we do see Mullet Finger's mouth say "damn", but the audio says "dang" instead. Social Behavior (Pause): Characters lie, steal, pick on and bully others, and engage in illegal activities. Commercialism (Not an Issue): None. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): Some adults have drinks that may or may not be alcoholic.
Kid, 12 years old April 3, 2010
Hoot was okay. I didn't like on account that it was terribly feel good. Logan Lerman and Cody Linley are both very good actors in this movie, but the rest of the actors aren't great. Hoot got to the point where it was extremely unrealistic. This movie would be okay for kids 8 and up/
Kid, 6 years old March 1, 2009

beatrice the bear

it was cool! it's about the new kid in town when he finds out that millions of owl's habitats are getting destroyed. He teams up with 2 friends to save the owl's habitat. It's not really scary but I think that it should be for kids and adults.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYengmeng April 9, 2008
The movie was okay,I think that they should show the the part where Beatrice bited Roy's tire,Mullet Fingers put his torn green shirt on top of Officer Delinko's satelite.
Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2014

The film is average, the book is great

I read the book and then watched the movie. The book was great, the movie was okay. The content in the movie is okay for kids, however the plot may be confusing for kids under 10. Overall an okay family movie.
Parent Written byMixyplixl February 4, 2014

Has potential, but very disappointing - poor values and where are the owls?

First to say, that if you like movies about animals, you will be very disappointed-- the owls are really not part of the movie until the tail end of the movie. It is more about the kids saving the owls... though we objected to the glorification of vandalism rather than activism to get their message across. It is really too bad, as with Carl Hiaasen as a writer, there is a great portrayal of local color and characters, with Owen Wilson and Clark Gregg being particularly fun to watch. For that, it is a good all ages movie.
Kid, 12 years old December 4, 2011

:{)

really good. it makes you want to go save an animal!
Kid, 10 years old August 8, 2011

Don't bother seeing it.

Worthless adaption of GREAT BOOK.
Kid, 11 years old July 5, 2011

best family film out there!

i love it and so does my family! we all hope for a seqal to the best family film on dvd!
Kid, 10 years old August 14, 2010
very good movie with owls and a good plot
Kid, 10 years old July 22, 2010

Teen, 17 years old Written byyayymexoxo55 January 4, 2010

Good.

It's good. Yayy.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoubleDee. September 4, 2009
the movie is great! i love it.
Kid, 11 years old July 12, 2009

Loved it

I love the movie. my sisters fell in love with it.