All parent member reviews for Hop

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 20, 2012

Very bad.

I saw this movie last year because it looked so good,and it turned out to be garbage.It was boring,lame,stupid,bad voice acting,eye burning CGI,and unlikeable characters.I mean it was aboslutly horrible,and i'm not hard to please at all.Bleh.
Parent Written bypriestofthehome May 25, 2012

Strange scenes

This movie had many uncomfortable moments a lot of which have been posted by other reviewers. One I found subtle and disturbing was what seemed to be a marriage of sorts between the male human character and the male bunny. In the ceremony they are both asked to touch the egg of destiny scepter (phallic symbol) with their fingers while the presiding bunny says something like "by the power vested in me I pronounce Fred and EB co Easter bunnies, ... now go forth and deliver".
Educator and Parent Written bykduff1980 April 15, 2012

Cute movie, but read reviews before your decision :)

I wasn't happy with my kids hearing the phrase, "Oh, my God!" twice. That is simply something we do not say in our household. I was surprised at the word "sexy" being used during the Playboy bunny mansion scenes. There were a few other questionable parts, but overall, the movie is cute with lovable characters, and I do believe younger kids would enjoy it.
Adult Written byTrami Nguyen April 13, 2012

Hop is the Easter movie!

I like this movie, because E.B. and Fred are good friends and Easter bunnies workers!
Parent Written byMommy2six April 6, 2012

Hop was a FLOP

Seriously, you let your child see this movie? I am so glad I screen movies before allowing my children to see them. Hop was disgusting. Not only was it completely lame, awkward and insulting on a pre-school level, it also had sexual humor that was not even subtle. The bunny going to the playboy mansion and insisting he was “a sexy bunny” was probably the worst, but when he hugged the guys sister and rolled his eyes erotically sniffing her hair, well, that was nasty too. Not to mention he poops jelly beans....and the girl eats them. Perhaps it would be suitable for a child who is too young to actually watch it but overall it is no good for ANYONE. Hop was a FLOP.
Parent Written byNoHop March 2, 2012

Avoid Hop for Its Racist Depiction of Hispanics

On March 23, 2012, Universal Pictures will release the Easter-themed film, Hop, on Blu-ray and DVD. Although some hail Hop as a family-friendly Easter classic, the message of this film is something far more insidious. Akin to the worst examples of racial and ethnic stereotyping found in twentieth century film, the not-so-subtle message of Hop is that those who speak with a "Spanish" dialect do not count in American society. Put another way, Hop depicts Hispanics as deluded and dangerous for believing that they can ascend to a position of employment beyond that of menial labor. Despite public controversy surrounding the film's initial release on April 1, 2011, Universal Pictures has decided to move ahead with a home video release of the film that they describe as a "comic tale" that blends "state-of-the-art animation with live action." Universal's cheerful press description omits the offensive subplot that revolves around the actions of Carlos (Hank Azaria), a possible heir to the Easter Bunny mantle. In fact, the majority of the press about the film ignores the Carlos character and instead dwells on the relationship between EB and Fred O'Hare. EB (Russell Brand) is the son of the retiring Easter Bunny. Unwilling to follow in his father's footsteps, EB flees to Hollywood to pursue his dream of becoming a rock drummer. Back in the live-action world, the audience meets Fred O'Hare (James Marsden), the unambitious and irresponsible son of Henry O'Hare (Gary Cole). Despite his pattern of unreliability, Fred gets the opportunity to housesit a multi-million dollar home. Predictably, Fred encounters and injures runaway EB. "Hilarity" ensues as EB ransacks the home, plays his rock drums, and slowly wins the friendship of Fred. Meanwhile, the picture is much less rosy in the animated Easter world. EB's father is beside himself with worry about his missing son and fears that he will have to cancel Easter. Carlos, a loyal factory supervisor, steps forward to offer his assistance to EB's father. He articulates a compelling case for why, in the absence of EB, he should become the next Easter Bunny. After all, he has worked in the factory for years, knows the entire production process, and is familiar to the workers. EB's father scoffs at the idea and informs him that a chicken can never become the Easter Bunny. Regardless of his tireless loyalty and ample qualifications, Hop boldly ridicules even the suggestion that "Carlos" can become the Easter Bunny. Admittedly, it would not seem racist, or even far-fetched, to suggest that the Easter Bunny should in fact be a bunny. However, the consistent negative portrayal of Carlos and the film's denouement ultimately reveal the true reason Carlos cannot become the Easter Bunny: his ethnicity. Inexplicably, the filmmakers choose to racialize the character of Carlos. Throughout the film, Carlos speaks in broken English with a strong mock-Spanish dialect. Imagine how this film might have been received had the Carlos character been renamed "Chang" and unable to discern his "Rs" from his "Ls." Likewise, what if he had been named "Darius" and spoke with a mock, African-American dialect? Hop doubles down on persisting stereotypes of Hispanics in American film and television. First, Carlos is not depicted simply owning or transporting chickens (as is often the case in American television and film), he literally is a chicken, or more precisely, un pollito. Second, his broken English and mixed metaphors encourage the audience to laugh at and mock him. Consequently, the film reinforces the belief that Mexicans who speak English with a thick accent are somehow stupid, unqualified, or a joke. Sadly, the film dashes the viewer's hope that the negative portrayal of Carlos is actually somehow subversive. Replete with weaponry and violence, Carlos leads a failed Che Guevara-style revolution at the factory that ultimately leaves him disfigured. Banished, Carlos leaves his chick henchmen to toil in the factory with no hope of a better life. Ironically, the film then playfully resolves by declaring the conspicuously human Fred O'Hare "co-Easter Bunny." The audience is left to ponder why this entitled, untalented, lazy, white twenty-something is more qualified to be Easter Bunny than the loyal and hardworking Carlos. Hop is disturbing for what it reveals about Universal Pictures and American culture more generally. It suggests that Universal Pictures, or at the very least the production team of Hop, involved very few culturally aware individuals in positions of authority. The racial subtext of this film is glaringly evident for anyone who has even tangentially experienced discrimination based on race, class, religion, gender, or sexual preference. Secondly, it suggests that American consumers are blind to, or perhaps even comfortable with, the negative portrayals of Hispanics advanced in American television and film today. As consumers, we need to relegate Hop to the dustbin of history alongside decaying reels containing the faces of Charlie Chan and Uncle Remus.
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 2, 2012

Hop 2011

not that good of a easter movie, aiming low for goodness.
Parent Written byErohiel December 31, 2011

Corny

Aside from the mention of "sexy bunnies" at the playboy mansion, most other offenses are likely to go unnoticed by children. However, this movie is very poorly acted and extremely corny. Some people are understandably confused by a talking rabbit, while others seem inexplicably comfortable with it, without ever really explaining why. On top of this, the protagonist 'E.B.' whom we are meant to like, is an unabashed, selfish, lazy slob, who needlessly and intentionally causes trouble, and ultimately never amounts to a likable character. Very young children MAY be able to enjoy this movie if they still believe in the easter bunny, but adults will likely feel their brain leaking out their ears.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjaxdirsch April 22, 2011
Adult Written bycoloradobutterfly April 21, 2011

Words fail just how bad it was

The animation was great, the problem was with the rest of it. If you want to see a kids movie during Easter, Rio was better.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byReaganX April 15, 2011

The worst kids movie ever made

I see all kids movies, and grade them on a liberal curve, but this movie was more than awful. Even my 6 year old daughter fell asleep. Predictable, boring, its an embarrasment. I want my money back. My first ever F rating.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymrs G April 13, 2011

great for 5+

Very watchable my 7 year old son loved it. Also has the hoff in it brilliant! Russell Brand is great as EB go see it!
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byJmac5 April 11, 2011

Great for toddlers or early preschoolers!

MY 2 year old LOVED it! My 4 year old couldn't wait to leave. I had a hard time keeping my eyes open.
Parent of a 2, 5, 12, and 15 year old Written byMommy to Mom April 11, 2011

Perfect for any age.

We saw Hop- and John loved it. He is only 2, and he just loved the rabbits and chicks. A great family movie!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byleeshalou April 10, 2011

Kids will love it, parents will tolerate...

My four year old son really liked the movie. It was cute and harmless, not the greatest movie but still nice for young kids.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byjakimcd April 10, 2011

Cute movie but not real engaging.

Some parts were very cute.
Parent of a 3, 7, and 15 year old Written byrunawaybunny April 10, 2011

Good for any age

We chose this movie to take my 3 year old daughter to the theater for the first time. She loved it and the whole family enjoyed it as well. Very cute movie.
Parent Written byCecilia927 April 9, 2011

I thought this movie was really terrible. My 7 and 8 year old loved it, while it was far too loud and an assault on the senses for my 4 year old. I didn't like that the evil character had a hispanic accent, they never addressed an adult upstaging an important moment for a child and that the ending was really very frightening. And really, jokes about serial killers, vicious dogs and the playboy mansion do not belong in a movie being marketed to children. However, the worst thing about this movie is that is just wasn't very clever or good.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written bymac71130 April 8, 2011

It was a cute movie where we get to see a story about the Easter Bunny (something that hasn't been done in awhile). It was fun for my children to get to "see where the Easter Bunny lives and how he makes the candy" Also, how he travels :)
Adult Written bywallyk2334 April 8, 2011

Wait and rent it for the kids

An ok movie, but should wait for it to come out on DVD. Both my kids really liked it but I think most adults would prefer to sleep through it.