All member reviews for Hotel for Dogs

Young pet lovers will get a kick out of dog comedy.

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bytande April 30, 2010

Cute movie but discuss crime/police elements with your kids.

Cute factor with the dogs and various inventions is great for kids. However... the kids (main characters) are constantly getting into trouble with police, are involved in some kind of scam and there is some stealing and plenty of lying. Somehow this is done without the fast paced tension that is in a lot of kids movies, but there's a bit of a message that crime is OK if you have a reason so definitely discuss this with your kids.
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2014

Quite original, but a bit of language (which is "cr*p")

Epicboy21 here, and I'll tell you the only thing that made the movie PG for language pretty much was that they use the term "we scr*wed up" or that a woman uses "cr*p" twice and a man says it once. The language is completely gratuitous, but otherwise it's very mild. Anyway, the movie's about two orphans that scam people by pawning fake cell-phones for $26, who are named Bruce (Jake T. Austin, Disney's Wizards of Waverly Place), and Andie (Emma Roberts: after Nancy Drew, whatever happened to her?); the two hatch an idea when they save some dogs to make a hotel for them, so it's the "Hotel for Dogs", where saving dogs is their business and helping them is their job. The G content would be: - A man is kicked in the groin, hard, but otherwise there's no violence other than suspense from running and chasing. - The main characters are orphans and they pawn for money. The PG content would be: - Kyla Pratt steps in dog poop by accident - They create a fire hydrant so dogs can pee there - The above-mentioned swearing Anyway, it is quite original, with this idea about the Hotel for Dogs, and the technology is an absolute highlight. In short, the acting isn't that bad, the slapstick and scatological humour is quite good, and there's a good sense of drama, and character development is just quite enough. The animals don't even talk (for once, yay!) DreamWorks did a good job. Some dogs are seen drinking, and one dog is described as only having "three legs"; the accident is seen but is mentioned. Anyway, thankyou for reading.
Kid, 12 years old January 22, 2012

Jake T. Austin is so cute

I love Jake T. Austin! This film is great for anyone - WATCH IT!
Parent of a 7, 10, and 12 year old Written byjfaughnan April 26, 2009

Tricky for children with some backgrounds

This is another of those treacherous adoption/foster care films. Probably fine for kids with dual birth parents, no abandonment fears, etc. Very tricky for children who've lost a parent, been adopted, been in foster care, etc. For some such children it might be a way to explore complex issues, for some it might have them sleeping in their parent's bed for the next six months. Adoptive and foster care parents and caregivers -- be careful. You may want to wait for the DVD version and then watch it BEFORE the kids.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byKateHRN February 28, 2009

Not at all like the book!

My kids and I just finished reading the book together, so this movie was a HUGE disappointment. The only similarity were the names used. After the movie I asked my 6 yr old if he liked it. He said "The book was Waaaay better!"
Educator and Parent of a 3 year old Written byyellie February 26, 2009

Not for every child

I work as an advocate for children who are coming from homes of Domestic Violence and I often take children to the movies when there is no school. After viewing the trailer the children decided it would be a fun movie to see (ages 8 & 12). I took them thinking it would be a silly pointless movie, only to find it was full of things that are all to real in my line of work. The children I had taken to the movies were recently removed from their mother and placed with grandparents, but have easily been those kids on the screen. I think the movie would have been great for "normal" happy children, but I wish somewhere in the previews I would have known the plot....now I know to check this site!
Written byAnonymous September 7, 2014

Silly dog comedy has kindergarten humor. Immature stuff.

My rating:PG for rude humor and mild action
Adult Written bymimijunebug December 17, 2013

In My Top Ten!

I love this movie! Great for all ages!
Kid, 8 years old May 25, 2013

Good but scary

I love the movie but it scares me when they talk about "getting" the dogs.
Written byAnonymous December 10, 2012

I Give it 10+ Because is Rated PG.

Hotel For Dogs rated PG for (S) = Kissing (L) = Saying the word St*pid. (V) = Falling. Will this movie is good for me to see then Kids 10+ will too.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTotally500 August 31, 2012

hotel for dogs is great

i thought it was great and i like it alot
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 20, 2012

Really good!

Great family movie with little inappropriate content. I'd give it three and a half stars out of five.
Kid, 11 years old May 20, 2012

Very good

A very good movie, see it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrbookworm01 May 13, 2012

Really good movie, but some upsetting moments

I just watched this movie on Nickelodeon and it was a really good movie. It has little inappropriate content for young kids, and it has some positive messages about caring about others, working together, and the importance of family. OK for kids 8+. Education: The movie's based off a book, so kids might want to read it after watching the movie. Violence: Some mild slapstick violence, but nobody gets hurt. Some dogs can seem a bit vicious to younger kids. Some brief references to the death of the main characters' parents, but not in detail. One dog is shown missing a leg, which might upset sensitive kids. Some mild peril when the main characters' are being chased by police, and sad moments like when the main characters' are briefly seperated from each other and their dogs, but nothing too upsetting. Sex: Some mild flirting and two brief kisses between teens. But nothing farther than that. Language: Use of the word, "crap" Consumerism: Brief showing of a Nintendo DS.
Kid, 12 years old January 28, 2012

what I noticed

Pedigree dog food is noticable, also c--p is mentioned, like, twice. In one scene, there's a picture of a dog urinating, standing up, on a door, or something.
Kid, 8 years old November 17, 2011

Hotel for Dogs

It's good with dogs. The result: This 3 star movie
Kid, 10 years old August 7, 2011

Funny

Happy and silly.
Kid, 11 years old April 9, 2011
I like it! to many dogs the problem is the crime and the police will bust the dogs it is VIOLENT! and the old place of hotel it is dirty a little bit...
Kid, 11 years old January 29, 2011

Cute and Funny movie!!!!

I really enjoyed watching this movie because i love any movie with dogs in it and i LOVE Emma Roberts. I also think this movie has great role models in it!
Kid, 12 years old November 13, 2010

all ages allowed good movie too.

very simple great movie appropriate and delivers great messages for kids!!!