All member reviews for Hotel Rwanda

Excellent but disturbing film is too intense for kids.

Adult Written byRGWISE April 9, 2008

I Loved It!

This movie show how deep the human heart is when it comes to helping others and walking in Love, no matter what the cost.
Teen, 15 years old Written byuvkitty September 26, 2010

Beautiful movie.

I loved this movie. It made me cry, but its the truth about the genocide in Rwanda.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byyonnie February 4, 2010

good movie
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2009

Very powerful

This movie is very powerful. It really makes you think about the genocide in Africa! This is a good movie. Parents it is violent due to the fact that it is all about genocide. I would recomend that parents should check it out and decide if their children can watch it. ALL IN ALL IT IS A VERY POWERFUL MOVIE!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymovieman09 April 9, 2008

The Best

I rented this thinking it would just be another action packed movie with no story line but it turned out to be one of the best best movies I've ever seen. It was kind of scary because innocent people were dying and nobody was doing anything about it. It is kind of sad and it there are some very suspenseful parts. I think if kids can handle the violence and the laguage then they should be able to watch this. 10 and up
Adult Written byalexo21 April 9, 2008

U HAVE TO WATCH THIS AMAZING MOVIE!

Wow. This was one of the best movies ive seen. Amazing plot and Acting. The movie offers lots of different emotions. It talks about a genocide so its very violent and very sad but its awsome how this movie was entertaining as it was educational. Watch this movie, its a no brainer.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008
Parent Written byMotherof5Alabama March 22, 2015

Entertaining, Educational, Exceptional!

My kids have seen much more violent movies and play video games that are much worse too. I'm not sure why common sense media says the age should be 15? That seems excessive. Any good parent who cares if their child sees what actually happens in the real world will want their child to view this movie. Of course you will want to sit down and talk with the horrors that happened before they see it.
Parent Written byfamilyman1312 March 22, 2015

Educational and amazing!

Yes, there is violence in this movie but that's the point. This movie depicts the Rwandan Genocide extremely well and is appropriate for any child at least 10 years old. I would make sure you talk with your children about the topic prior, during, and after viewing about the topic. Very powerful!
Teen, 14 years old Written byJanelle Hope November 19, 2013

Excellent, but frightening content to be examined.

"Hotel Rwanda" was definitely on my top 10. However, parents need to decide whether the content is appropriate for their children. Paul Rusesabagina is a very positive role model who saves 1200 people unintentionally placed in his care to escape genocide. There is a scene where a few nude (or nearly nude) women are described as prostitutes, though nothing is seen. There is one use of the "f" word, and a few uses of s***. Several men drink alcohol. The most important aspect that parents need to pay attention to, though, is violence. There are several scenes where corpses cover the ground, several where armed men shoot guns into the air and at people, and one particularly alarming scene where men use machetes to kill others. I believe that this is a movie that must be seen by all people in their lifetimes. As shocking and frightening as the events are, it raises necessary awareness and helps us to realize the terrors of the world that the media is not willing to display and that millions have sat idly by and watched without any course of action. We need to be educated on these terrible events to prevent them in the future.
Adult Written bywonder dove April 12, 2013

May be frightening for younger viewers!

I've owned this movie for years and never bothered watching it until recently. It was pretty good, but not great. It held my interest but didn't deliver 100%. Yes it was moving, and the characters were engaging but the entire time it is really just running, hiding and killing. Not something I would watch again. Violence is extreme, even references to the slaughtering of children, beatings, machetes and shootings throughout. Sexual stuff is mild, some kissing scenes and a man & woman shown flirting and entering a hotel room together. Language isn't bad. There is lots of drinking/alcohol and some cigars. Seems alright for mature 14+ teens. Some very good messages about doing all you can for your people, caring for others and taking care of your family when times are tough.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystvn8or June 25, 2012

Hotel Rwanda=Very Good

I know, the movie has violence, foul language and smoking advertisements. But, it is a very good movie about a real event. I believe every 12 year-old should watch this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCommando_1 May 29, 2012

VERY WELL DONE MOVIE!!! THUMBS UP!!!

This movie gives you a taste of what it was like when the man, Rwanda, tries to save many lives from death! When I watch the movie I just couldn't believe on how much courage this man had. I give TWO THUMBS UP FOR THIS MOVIE FOR 14+! It does have some gruesome scenes that were a bit disturbing.
Teen, 15 years old Written bynorthcuttjj December 8, 2010

Tweens and up will enjoy this amazing story

Good, gripping, and filled with positive messages "Hotel Rwanda" delviers these and more from start to finish. The Violence is not that bad in my opinion, but it is mainly used against innocents by cruel soliders or rebels. With the exception of one scene were a man stumbles across a filed filled with the dead bodies of innocents the violence is not that graphic. Language can get a little rough including one use of the F-word and several others sprinkled in. Still all the good messages are what carry this intense movie all the way to the end credits.
Teen, 15 years old Written byllreichling November 2, 2010

Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion July 24, 2010

Moving but Harsh...

Hotel Rwanda is a stark and moving portrait of the 1994 Rwandan genocide. It is an excellently made movie, but can be rough for even adults to watch at some points. That said, the positive messages of hope, sacrifice, and love make it a must-see movie for teens and their parents. Violence consists of almost constant brutal, but not extremely graphic, massacres of innocents, plus verbal descriptions of the murders of children. Language is compromised of one f word, plus several milder profanities. There is no actual sex, but we briefly see several nude Tutsi women who are being held as sex objects for Hutu men. There Is lots of drinking and use of bribery with beer.
Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2010

Very good!

Really good but kinda violent but hey u know i watched schindelers lisr!
Parent of a 1, 3, 12, and 16 year old Written byNikkiV April 20, 2009

Important, but an emotional journey

This is an incredibly emotional movie.

Good Movie But very Violent

Suspensful and Freaky but good
Adult Written byzdevil April 9, 2008

ultimately the film is about our choices as human beings

The message of the movie is that even in in the most horrible and uncontrolled environment, a man can choose to live decently and honorably if he so chooses. The protagonist is an absolute inspiration.