Father-daughter comedy works as intro to monster movies.

Adult Written bycourtwork April 5, 2013

Cute and entertaining with one small caveat

This movie is cute and entertaining for kids and parents. The humor is typical of Adam Sandler and crew (Kevin James, David Spade et al) toned down for this age group. There are plenty of fart jokes, some sexual innuendo which will probably go over kids' heads, and good natured ribbing, none of which I found out of bounds for this age group. The story line is a monster version of Nemo: the mom has died and the dad is overprotective because he loves his child and has suffered loss. Through their experiences, he learns that his over protectiveness is not helping his child, and in fact the world of humans is not as he had perceived, and he finds the courage and love to let go. My almost 7 year old daughter and 10 year old son both really enjoyed it. There is one scary element for smaller children: we watched it in the evening, and the 6 year old had trouble going to sleep. When Dracula gets angry, he becomes larger and turns evil looking for 1 or 2 seconds. This image is what was disturbing to her. I do agree with an earlier post that this is pretty intense and scary for small kids. I read once that children think more in slide show type images than in movies. So, in other words, they don't connect the dots yet. The complexity of the nice Dracula one second and an evil scary one the next is frightening and confusing. I don't think small kids have the sophistication mentally yet to process a good guy who turns bad and then good - they work better with good guys who stay good and bad guys who stay in character too. Or maybe it's just that the image is too scary, I'm not sure. I would just say that depending on your kid's age, sensitivity to media, and what they've been exposed to already, perhaps watch this one earlier in the day if you think there may be an issue. These Dracula images are shown in the video preview on this site if you want to check it out. My daughter saw the evil Dracula on this site's video preview and it didn't seem to bother her, but I think seeing it on a big screen TV right before bed made it more intense for her. Overall I enjoyed and recommend this movie for families with children ages 7 and up.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycaribbeandream October 10, 2012

Sweet and funny Halloween-themed movie

I think they could have toned down the potty humor a bit (and written off about 11 of the dozen or so werewolf kids) but overall this was a clean family movie. I loved the relationship between father and daughter and I really appreciated that even though she was trying to gain some independence she was never rude and sassy to her vampire dad. Also, the "love interest" story was played really well and was never uncomfortable or too "adult." The whole movie was just really cute.
Adult Written bydbphunter September 30, 2012

See this movie!

It is the best cartoon movie for families that we have watched in a few years. Usually there is something inappropriate, but this cartoon is both sweet and funny. I am sorry that so few people rated it highly. So much better than the last cartoon (recently in Sept.) we watched. I can't remember the name Abnorman or something like that..was perfectly awful.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byb080170e September 29, 2012

Adorable

I thought this movie was adorable. I laughed as much or more than my 10 year old. My 6 year old was not scared a bit (she's hard to scare) but I think many of the jokes went over her head and she wasn't able to enjoy the jokes as much as an older child. Adorable movie. I'm generally very strict with what I allow my children to watch and I thought this movie was very cute.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviewannabe January 18, 2013

Vampires in a PG-rated movie!!

Vampires?! Blood-suckers only make appearances in R-rated and PG-13-rated movies. I've never seen a vampire movie for kids, but I didn't like it. "Sexy and I Know It" by LMFAO is played in some scenes and I despise LMFAO!!!
Kid, 8 years old September 28, 2012

5 stars!!!!!!!!

Awesome movie!!! I'm going to see it!!!
Parent Written byembeau October 15, 2012

Sensitive kids should wait until older to see this...

Our friends took their six year old and she did fine. Our 7 year old did not fare as well. She found it more frightening than funny and did not come away loving the movie (for reference, she loved Gnomeo and Juliet). THe scene where the dads face morphs left a bad impression. If you have a sensitive child, I think I would hold off and wait until the child is 8, otherwise, you should be fine at 7.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJoeyakers October 2, 2012

Exceptionally great for kids, if they won't get scared by MILD scenes.

It is something you need to take your kids to IMMEDIATELY! Except for some name-calling and some scary Dracula rage scenes, the movie is exceptionally fine for kids. The film itself is actually quite entertaining. An all star cast really make the movie special and worth to look through. 4/5
Kid, 9 years old September 30, 2012

Hotel Transylvania!

Very good. 2 words... SEE IT!!!!!!!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bythe_tars October 6, 2012

Parent and Kid-Approved!

It was a very entertaining movie and the entire family enjoyed it!
Kid, 12 years old September 3, 2013

Scary

I saw this movie before, it was scary but awesome. On 9-17 Pause 6-8 and Off 2-5
Teen, 15 years old Written bylizzylove 90 October 16, 2012

Hotel Transelvania

Bad for children
Parent of a 16 year old Written byMahima Negi September 29, 2012

nice one..

This is good
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bygiovanna October 1, 2012

Fabulous family movie!

We went as a whole family and we all loved it!! I have a 6 1/2 and 9 year old. My youngest was unsure of a couple of moments in the beginning but quickly saw that it wasn't scary for him. We all laughed out loud many times, it was a cute way to deliver a nice message.
Teen, 13 years old Written byK bug October 2, 2012

Go See It

Wow. I had low expecatations for this movie but i loved it!!! It was hilarious and had so many jokes that i laughed out loud. Everything was awesome!!!! You should go see it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhockeyguy October 7, 2012

i just wasted 2 hours of my life

stupid
Parent Written bymoontan June 7, 2013

this vampire sucks

Lame humor (fart jokes etc.), annoying characters, horrible music (autotuned like crazy), mediocre animation. Enjoyable for kids, but a chore for adults, so not a true family movie.
Kid, 9 years old September 30, 2012

Mild scary scenes and rude humour.

Consumer advice: Contains mild scary scenes and rude humour. My consumer advice: Contains mild scary scenes.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bywtgreene February 19, 2013

awesome movie

awesome movie. sometimes iffy with the scariness, but friendly kids movie and also very funny
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written byMommaMichelle September 29, 2012

Family Fun movie!

This was a great family movie! I enjoyed it and even laughed a little!