Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Family-friendly threequel has peril, bloodless battles.

Adult Written byAhornblow February 10, 2019

Excellent film, disappointing use of unnecessary bad language!

The film was excellent, it showed all sorts of good values, courage and educational values as well as great music and an engaging story line. I was really disappointed to hear the totally unnecessary phrase “bloody hobgoblins” loud and clear and completely unmistakable in the cinema in front of a couple of hundred young children. A couple of leaks of “arse” as well which are just unwelcome in a “U” certificate film. (I also note that common sense media have missed this)! It was otherwise fantastic but I really hope this isn’t a sign of things to come that film classification now thinks that children of any age should be taking these word home and freely using them. A blot on an otherwise excellent experience.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bybekasue February 4, 2019

Take your tissues

This movie was amazing. It was funny, entertaining, fun, emotional.... We cried. Ugly cried. But in the end it felt like closure. The story went full-circle and ended with an emotional farewell to my favorite Dreamworks characters.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byCooldudeben75 February 23, 2019

I love this!

How to train your dragon the hidden world for liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!!!!

Adult Written by12Jcochran March 1, 2019

Love story, story of confidence, good family movie but might bore some children b/c of the boyfriend/girlfriend theme

My kids, 7 and 9 enjoyed this movie but it was not their favorite. Why? Because there were major themes of love and marriage. These values/covenants are shown extremely appropriately- with proper courtship and ceremonies, but for my boy and girl, relating to a boyfriend/girlfriend/marriage theme (spoiler alert: marriage and courtship theme with both the dragons as well as the main characters)was challenging. They wanted more action and surprise, not a love story. Regardless- a solid, suitable movie for the family.

Adult Written byEmmit29 February 18, 2019

Good movie just alot going on

Okay so let's say I wasn't the one with the idea to go see this but I did and I'm very thrilled it turns out my only percaution is theres alot of action and violence for a pg I can't recommend taking the youngest of kids however it's a beautiful movie and a very very happy ending

Adult Written bySam P. February 23, 2019

Go Watch This Movie ❤️

My 7 yr old daughter and myself absolutely adore films one and two, maybe myself more so than her! We were very thrilled the third movie finally came out, and let me tell you it is just amazing. You will definitely leave with tears if you follow this series and have grown attached to the characters. The thoughtfulness of individuals in the film is touching. Just overall a great movie. So sad, personally, to see this come to an end.

Parent of a 5, 5, 5, 9, and 11 year old Written byLushdreamer February 11, 2019

had feeling

I thought it had a good layout every thing happened at the right time it was funny when the girl did not shut up.

Adult Written byHarvestMoonFreak March 10, 2019

21 year old fan weighs in

It's easy to write this film off as the best out of nostalgia, since I've been a fan of it for 9 years (age 12-21) but it really is pretty great. The themes are very easy to understand and well thought, the lessons are impactful as always, the romance is well mixed with the action, there is plenty of well timed humor, the battles have nothing graphic and no blood or real imagery of the effects of using fire and explosives. Some parts like the very ending have the rushed feeling where it was thrown at us in an attempt to appease what we'd been asking for but it was very short and lacking in any real details, which kids won't mind but the older fans definitely did. There was a little drinking but it was presented in a way that in no way tries to convince kids to go out and start drinking beers. There was marriage talk but it seemed more about their dynamic and image as leaders than a call to create new heirs, so it wasn't even really sexual. I do wish there had been a redemption scene with Tuffnut after he had forgotten Ruffnut behind, but it did not happen. The film had a good closure feeling, you were sad at it being over but it was a good kind of sad. I can't wait for my niece to get a little older so I can try to turn her on to the series.

Adult Written byMinissa March 3, 2019

A Movie About Perfect Sacrificial Love

For our family, which has grown up with this best of all franchises, this was pretty much the perfect end to the perfect story arc. That said, it will mean a whole lot less if you haven't seen at least the first two movies, and I strongly recommend also watching the excellent animated series (all 8 seasons' worth). My age rating is based on "will get something out of" but there's nothing offensive here at all, my only caution being that some of the antagonist dragons might scare the little ones. I disagree that the romantic angle is overplayed. It's such a trope that the big, macho scary male falls apart when confronted with girls, but this is the best I've ever seen it done. Smart, fast, fierce Toothless (is there anyone who doesn't love this character?), whom we've always been led to believe is the last of his dragon species, comes across a female of his kind. Hiccup, the human main character, attempts to coach him through a courtship dance, which is utterly hilarious because it's the blind leading the blind (or maybe the Nerd leading the Clueless). Toothless coming up with an original approach is a wonderful shout-out to the most iconic moment of the first movie. Ultimately, though the movie is funny, thrilling and a host of other good things, the plot is about perfect sacrificial love. Parents may get this more than children will. Kids who follow the series will be sad at the ending, but I think it takes an adult to grasp that the supreme act of bravery and selfless love is not keeping those we love close but letting them go when that is what is best for them. One nice extra for the whole franchise is that it portrays young love (also love between adults) as something whose best manifestation arises from firm friendship, slowly rather than at breakneck speed. If you have kids approaching or at dating age, this is a good talking point for this franchise, as it gives an excellent example of this in "Hiccstrid." It may be a little corny, but the relationships as portrayed are blessedly free of R-rated material, and that is such a rarity anymore that I could have given the movie lots of stars for that example alone. Bring lots of tissues; there will be tears!

Adult Written byCheryl B. February 24, 2019

Great ending to a loved movie!!

If you are a fan, this movie won't disappoint! It has it's typical dark and loud fighting moments but there is also beauty and a sweet love story in the mix. I'm so so sad this is the end but they did it justice! The is my favorite animated trilogy and toothless is my favorite animate character!

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byratatask February 23, 2019

Great ending for the franchise!

There is some violence, but less than in the other movies in the franchise. The theme of selfless friendship and love is strong, and the ending is mostly happy. It definitely leaves you with a smile, rather than tears (maybe a bit of both).

Parent Written byAndrom3da February 10, 2019

Okay but very predictable and repetitive

The movie is okay but seems to be very predictable and repetitive. My 6 year old son enjoyed it but did get a little bored in the middle.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byAreno March 9, 2019

Adult Written bySamMag March 4, 2019

Loved and liked

We all really, really loved the sequence of Toothless trying to impress his new lady and the scenes in the hidden world were very beautiful and amazingly detailed. The movie as a whole was pretty good but started a little slow (this was necessary to lay out the storyline). My only complaint is that it lost some of the 'drama' from the first two. There wasn't the same climax in the storyline and this made some of the decisions of the characters seem less needed. They did a great job saying that men and women compliment each other and each has a unique role instead of pushing that one gender is better than the other. We're still huge fans of HTTYD and it is definitely worth seeing!

Parent Written byPandaL March 2, 2019

A very good movie!

How to Train Your Dragon the Hidden World is very good movie. I suggest watching the first two movies then watching the third one. Hiccup, the main character shows good maturity, bravery, and determination. He learns to let go and learn how the world might not agree with the way you want do things. In the end, you don’t have to do things alone. You can have friends help you through tough times. Grimmel is a bad guy and wants toothless dead. It show a good reason to not use drugs. I think it is for 7 +. It has some mushy stuff but all around it is a very good movie.

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bykarenh11 March 10, 2019

Perfect wrapup to the series

My kids loved it from start to finish, and I had no concerns as a parent. Really tiny or very sensitive kids may find some moments a little too intense, but the violence level is the same as or less than the previous two. All the loose ends got tied up, leaving just enough room to maybe create a sequel down the road. ;)

Adult Written byBebesqueaky2 March 5, 2019

Good movie, bad animation

The story was good... nice closure to the movie series. Nothing horrifically scary. Was SUPER DISAPPOINTED with the animation. E.g., Astrid had a fat, round head, and her eyes turned/looked in different directions. Dreamworks said it is because she got older-but the rest of her is uber skinny. Super different, not a fan :o(

Parent of a 13, 13, 14, and 16 year old Written byDio fry February 27, 2019
Adult Written byNAMcCabe February 22, 2019

Great Final!

Parent of a 5 year old Written byElizabethandL March 14, 2019

Darker dragon movie for older kids

My 5 year old enjoyed the 1st movie, so I thought he would enjoy this one. I was wrong! If you want a happier, more feel-good movie this is not the one for you. Gone is the disney-like cuteness of the 1st one, it is much more darker, solemn, and serious. It is definitely geared for older kids, plus the kids around us were bored and squirming around in their seats (I was also bored as well). My son wanted to leave after a few minutes. Besides that, it is much more violent than the 1st one. During one of the 1st scenes the villain cold-heartedly shoots and kills a dragon. We didn't make it past 25 minutes before we left.