Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Family-friendly threequel has peril, bloodless battles.

Adult Written byAhornblow February 10, 2019

Excellent film, disappointing use of unnecessary bad language!

The film was excellent, it showed all sorts of good values, courage and educational values as well as great music and an engaging story line. I was really disappointed to hear the totally unnecessary phrase “bloody hobgoblins” loud and clear and completely unmistakable in the cinema in front of a couple of hundred young children. A couple of leaks of “arse” as well which are just unwelcome in a “U” certificate film. (I also note that common sense media have missed this)! It was otherwise fantastic but I really hope this isn’t a sign of things to come that film classification now thinks that children of any age should be taking these word home and freely using them. A blot on an otherwise excellent experience.

Adult Written bySamMag March 4, 2019

Loved and liked

We all really, really loved the sequence of Toothless trying to impress his new lady and the scenes in the hidden world were very beautiful and amazingly detailed. The movie as a whole was pretty good but started a little slow (this was necessary to lay out the storyline). My only complaint is that it lost some of the 'drama' from the first two. There wasn't the same climax in the storyline and this made some of the decisions of the characters seem less needed. They did a great job saying that men and women compliment each other and each has a unique role instead of pushing that one gender is better than the other. We're still huge fans of HTTYD and it is definitely worth seeing!

Adult Written byPawsome AnimalLover April 23, 2019

Amazing movie but sad

I think this movie was amazing. It was a great end to the trilogy and will make everyone cry. There is some fighting and violence as well, a character nearly falls to his death while one does but is not shown. A dragon try’s to mate but fails, there are kisses and 2 characters get married. A character says that she’s ‘gorgeous’ and ‘all the boys love me’, but she is joking around. As a dragon named the ‘deathgripper’ kills and eats over dragons (told but not showed on screen) and there is part where the deathgripper’s head is being held by the villain. His eyes turning evil and leaking venom from the mouth. A swear was said because a character was been followed by dragons. Otherwise, the movie is great and I recommend to children over 9+ since it’s a PG.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byObservantmama April 17, 2019

Definitely for older kids

Our family loved the first movie. Not too much violence., but still there is. The second, violence increased, villains increased. The third, yikes. The villain looks guy fiery in devil form. The villains goal is only to kill dragons. He drugs them, alters their minds and manipulates them. This is all in the first half of the movie. Granted it’s mixed in with some relationship banter between Astrid and hiccup. But nonetheless if you want to keep your child from witnessing a lot of violence, wait until they’re much older to watch this. My husband and I both watched it to gauge whether we could share it with our child. And it’s a big NO! The story line of letting the toothless go on to his destiny is a sweet one but marred with a lot of violence. It’s nice to see the kids get older and take on responsibility. So that’s a positive. And overall the relationships in the movie are positive. The ending is sweet but most kids could do without watching this til 7 or 8. I find it jarring that reviewers say it’s is good for 2year olds. Sure if you want to normalize violence and death in their minds at a young age. I think people forget, whatever you show or do with your kids you are normalizing that behavior. Movies with violence desensitize kids from a young age to violence. Just watch this movie without your kids first then decide. Listen to language. Watch the simplest of actions people are doing. Count the amount of times there are dark moments. You only get one shot as a parent to raise your child into a caring adult. Choose wisely!

Parent of a 15 year old Written bysprinkles577345 April 5, 2019

Dragon's New Movie Soars Above Expectations

Dragons and violence, but not bloody. Slightly tense scenes, and quite a tearjerker. A much anticipated film, the trailer is much too revealing. Don't watch the trailer if you don't want most of the plot revealed. Definitely shows the message: to love is to let go and very sad. It had much of the theater laughing. Spoiler warning below- Toothless was slightly flirty with his new, "girlfriend,".

Adult Written byimisstherainstz March 13, 2019

Satisfying conclusion to a beautiful trilogy

I'll cut right to chase here: "How to Train Your Dragon: the Hidden World" is ultimately a powerful story about growing up. When the second movie closed, Hiccup had taken over as chief of Berk in place of his father. Where the second movie's message emphasized leadership, sacrifice, and stepping up, this movie explores how leadership and stepping up are themselves, a sacrifice, but a good and honorable one. Ultimately this third movie depicts a strong and positive message that sometimes even good things need to be let go of to make way for better things for everyone. Hard as it is, there comes a time to quit recklessly setting off into the sunset and settle down to be the chief and lead your people. SPOILER WARNING - The movie concludes with a beautiful end to an era that is appropriately closing for everyone. Happily Ever After, but separately. Younger viewers may find the battle scenes to be a little intense/scary; the villain is un-remorseful about killing dragons and doesn't hesitate to take extreme measures in his quest. At least one dragon is killed onscreen.
Adult Written byMinissa March 3, 2019

A Movie About Perfect Sacrificial Love

For our family, which has grown up with this best of all franchises, this was pretty much the perfect end to the perfect story arc. That said, it will mean a whole lot less if you haven't seen at least the first two movies, and I strongly recommend also watching the excellent animated series (all 8 seasons' worth). My age rating is based on "will get something out of" but there's nothing offensive here at all, my only caution being that some of the antagonist dragons might scare the little ones. I disagree that the romantic angle is overplayed. It's such a trope that the big, macho scary male falls apart when confronted with girls, but this is the best I've ever seen it done. Smart, fast, fierce Toothless (is there anyone who doesn't love this character?), whom we've always been led to believe is the last of his dragon species, comes across a female of his kind. Hiccup, the human main character, attempts to coach him through a courtship dance, which is utterly hilarious because it's the blind leading the blind (or maybe the Nerd leading the Clueless). Toothless coming up with an original approach is a wonderful shout-out to the most iconic moment of the first movie. Ultimately, though the movie is funny, thrilling and a host of other good things, the plot is about perfect sacrificial love. Parents may get this more than children will. Kids who follow the series will be sad at the ending, but I think it takes an adult to grasp that the supreme act of bravery and selfless love is not keeping those we love close but letting them go when that is what is best for them. One nice extra for the whole franchise is that it portrays young love (also love between adults) as something whose best manifestation arises from firm friendship, slowly rather than at breakneck speed. If you have kids approaching or at dating age, this is a good talking point for this franchise, as it gives an excellent example of this in "Hiccstrid." It may be a little corny, but the relationships as portrayed are blessedly free of R-rated material, and that is such a rarity anymore that I could have given the movie lots of stars for that example alone. Bring lots of tissues; there will be tears!

Adult Written by12Jcochran March 1, 2019

Love story, story of confidence, good family movie but might bore some children b/c of the boyfriend/girlfriend theme

My kids, 7 and 9 enjoyed this movie but it was not their favorite. Why? Because there were major themes of love and marriage. These values/covenants are shown extremely appropriately- with proper courtship and ceremonies, but for my boy and girl, relating to a boyfriend/girlfriend/marriage theme (spoiler alert: marriage and courtship theme with both the dragons as well as the main characters)was challenging. They wanted more action and surprise, not a love story. Regardless- a solid, suitable movie for the family.

Parent Written byCooldudeben75 February 23, 2019

I love this!

How to train your dragon the hidden world for liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife!!!!

Adult Written byEmmit29 February 18, 2019

Good movie just alot going on

Okay so let's say I wasn't the one with the idea to go see this but I did and I'm very thrilled it turns out my only percaution is theres alot of action and violence for a pg I can't recommend taking the youngest of kids however it's a beautiful movie and a very very happy ending

Parent of a 5, 5, 5, 9, and 11 year old Written byLushdreamer February 11, 2019

had feeling

I thought it had a good layout every thing happened at the right time it was funny when the girl did not shut up.

Adult Written byfatso2019 May 14, 2019

best of the saga

this has been a saga i have liked not loved liked this however completley changed everything to do with the first two its so much fun so good and extremly adventuress best animated movie of the year so so good my only advice is if your taking the youngest of kids due to a scary villian and slight havioc on sevilians its best to see on the small screen

Adult Written byhertavein May 13, 2019

PCJSA

Comrades who have looked, but is there any reference to the second in the third film or are the plot lines connected with it? Those. without the second, everything in the third will be clear jobs

Parent of a 2, 2, 10, and 10 year old Written byStac Kin May 3, 2019

One of my favorite movie's

One of my favorite movie's since my kid's were younger. I couldn't wait to see it . Hope their's at least 2 more movie's to come .

Adult Written byCapi01 April 15, 2019

MY FAVORITE ANIMATED FILM FROM DREAMWORKS!!

I absolutely adore the HTTYD franchise from the first two films to the tv series on CartoonNetwork and Netflix. As the series continued the films just get better and better. The Hidden World is a very special movie in the franchise with a lot of positive messages for children. This movie over all is great for any age nothing terrible that parents need to look out for. What I love most about this franchise is how it was able to grow with the original audience from the first films release up to now. I’ve been watching the HTTYD franchise since it all started in 2010. The first films deals with them as teens and they age up into their 20s/30s as the film series progresses. This film deals with issues of taking on the challenges of letting go of something and focusing on being responsible as far as adulthood goes. Toothless and the Light Fury are so cute together!! Overall this is my favorite film in the franchise I think any age would enjoy.

Adult Written bymovieman48 March 23, 2019

Amazing animation but....

The animation is amazing but my grandkids were not impressed with the film as the story was really poor with too many static spots.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byElizabethandL March 14, 2019

Darker dragon movie for older kids

My 5 year old enjoyed the 1st movie, so I thought he would enjoy this one. I was wrong! If you want a happier, more feel-good movie this is not the one for you. Gone is the disney-like cuteness of the 1st one, it is much more darker, solemn, and serious. It is definitely geared for older kids, plus the kids around us were bored and squirming around in their seats (I was also bored as well). My son wanted to leave after a few minutes. Besides that, it is much more violent than the 1st one. During one of the 1st scenes the villain cold-heartedly shoots and kills a dragon. We didn't make it past 25 minutes before we left.

Adult Written byOmer_Tarig March 14, 2019

Crap!

This is one of the worst movies ever in this series , it really disappointed me
Adult Written byLwFTW March 13, 2019

Everyone needs to see this film!

This film is incredible! The action is awesome, but not too inappropriate for young children, there is practically no inappropriate language, and it is an emotional and gripping conclusion to the series! You need to see this movie right now, or your doing yourself a disfavor!

Adult Written byLogantheCrazy123 March 13, 2019

Gud!

Okay, first of all... That kiss. That was a wedding kiss! That seals the deal! Okay, second of all. Kids should be free to watch or play any games they want! (Well, besides the mature scary stuff.) Just give them a controller, and a huge thing of games, and let them run wild! It's what my parents did for me! Anyways, back to the movie, It was pretty good. Sure, there were battles here and there, and a few other select things, but other than that, I'd say it's a good movie to show your kids!