All member reviews for How to Train Your Dragon

Thrilling 3-D adventure sends brains-over-brawn message.

Parent Written bygarnet March 23, 2010

I saw preview of this film with my six year old, and we both loved it. Some of the images/fighting/dragon slaying were a bit dark and may be scary for younger children - particularly in 3-D. Aside from that, it was a lovely film with well developed characters, a certain sweetness, and good messages about doing the right thing, even if it means that you are "different" from the rest of the crowd. Also, nice displays of loyalty and perseverance, and the benefits of living in peace rather than at war. There is some very mild romantic content, but it involves little more than a peck on the cheek and one kiss, far less than what my kids see on Nickelodeon or in other films. All in all, I'd say it's a solid film that everyone in the family can and will enjoy.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byrush2112 March 27, 2011

This one is really special.

We've seen this countless times now that we have the DVD and I still get goosebumps and a lump in my throat at the key moments. My kids love it for obvious reasons. I love it for the breathtaking flight scenes, the beautiful music, the friendships that develop, and the positive messages throughout. As many have pointed out, some of the scenes are scary/intense. My 5-year-old was a bit frightened in the theaters, but not so much at home. And there's one aspect I haven't see discussed very much here: what Hiccup loses in the end. It was a really gutsy move by the writers. And it makes Hiccup a role model for all those children who have also lost a part of themselves.
Kid, 10 years old May 13, 2010

Kiddie Review

This was the GREATEST MOVIE I WATCHED! It's great for kids and families!
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byeduc8r13 March 30, 2010

A great movie for the whole family - you'll want to own this one!

This was an absolutely amazing movie! The animation alone (and we saw the 2D version) is enough to make your jaw drop. What we loved best was the overall message. It is the peace loving, different from everyone else Hiccup who triumphs. Hiccup has a chance to harm Toothless but chooses instead to help him, beginning their friendship. It really sends the message that being mean and violent is not the best choice, and that sometimes situations are not what they seem (the dragons attack the village but not to be nasty). The relationship between Hiccup and his dad was kind of sad but probably typical of many parent/teen. My 9 year old LOVED it; her 6 year old sister did too, although I think she was a little scared of the queen dragon. I would not suggest taking small ones to the 3D - that queen dragon would be too "in your face". The ending was a little bit of a tearjerker - I think my 6 year old cried but has denied it since. Be aware - Hiccup does not come out of the final battle unharmed - he loses a part of his body but it is handled very gently without showing anything bloody.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byAiko in WA April 13, 2010

Great story full of good morals!

My boys (ages 3 and 6) absolutely loved it and so did I. I mentioned to them ahead of time that there might be scary parts with the dragons fighting, so they were prepared. I jumped more than once, myself. I'm not sure all 3 year olds can handle it, but mine loves action. I loved that the hero was continually told he was not up to snuff, but continued to proudly be himself (inventive, creative, etc.). And the message that things are not as they may seem, breaking the "dragon stereotype" - great insight into our current world. Let's see: 1) be yourself and you will find your purpose, 2) do the right thing, 3) do it for the right reason, 4) the world might be wrong, 5) look for the good in others, 6) be confident, 7) don't worry about what others might say about you, 8) one person can make a difference and can in fact change the world, etc. I will definitely buy this DVD!
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bynancylorel April 2, 2010

Great movie... a blast!!!

Excellent movie!! Well done! Not a minute was boring! It gives different messages all through the movie... to kids, to parents! At the end, a new and beautiful message of how to overcome a dissability caused by an accident. At the beginning I was a bit concerned with the talking about killing dragons, but it really carries that worriness aside with the messages involved... besides they are vikings, warriors and rudeness is the way they are. We laughed and jumped... it was real good. My 6 year old didn't understand real well all the messages, but he loved it anyways. My 8 year old understood everything and enjoyed it, too. To my husband and me, it was a blast!
Kid, 12 years old April 4, 2010

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOVE IT! A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

its great for kids, you may think its just another one of these movies, but its actually really good!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjaywdet April 4, 2010

Depending on your child, appropriate for all ages.

I really liked this movie. I am sensitive to violence, and how it is presented. There is violence in this movie, but its presentation is appropriate, and its not malicious, gory or scary (for older kids.) My 4 year old loved the movie and did not flinch. However, I can see where some younger children would be frightened. If you have a young child who is easily frightened, consider sitting this one out until you screen it. There is one minor issue I have with the theme, and its common complaint I have with Hollywood. The hero is a social misfit. (The reasons he is a misfit, are honorable, yet he is still a misfit.) Hollywood has a way of encouraging non-conformance. As I have said before, I think we all like the idea of questioning authority, and non-conformist thinking. However, I think it is irresponsible to introduce this to children before they have learned the importance of participating in and being part of a (i.e. *our*) culture. (the good and the bad.) I am concerned kids walk away from this movie feeling good about being apart from the crowd, before they realize the good things that come with fitting in. Now, I say all this with the understanding that the Hero in this movie is very admirable for his courage/bravery and perseverance. Also, he is celebrated for using his brain and his heart above his brawn. Bravo! So perhaps if we could do this without making it a celebration of a 'loser' we'd be on to something. You won't go wrong taking your kids to this movie, unless your child has a hard time with the difference between make believe and real.
Teen, 16 years old Written byThe Informer March 26, 2010

This movie is amazing! The animation, humor, and the flying sequences are all terrific. The movie is a bit intense, but kids will surely love this film. And you have to see it in 3D; it has some of the best 3D since Avatar.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bysshaffer April 2, 2010

2-D cut the intensity for our 7 yr old.

W just saw the 2-D version, and are planning to see the 3-D version this weekend. Many scenes of cartoon violence, but in line with Viking mythology. Our 7-yr old sat through the 2-D version, and recognized the brains v. brawn interplay. She was a little squeamish at points of intense action. I suspect the 3-D version would be too intense for her. Minimal language, as noted in the CSM summary.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byblissful June 14, 2010

May be too scary for the little ones, but depends on the kid

Our whole family loved this movie enough for us to want to see it two weekends in a row! Everything about this movie was amazing and wonderful. Excellent message, well acted, well animated, well thought out... one of the best movies we've seen in a long time, and that includes ALL movies, not just kid's movies. That said, the family next to us in the theater had to leave because they had a 4 year old girl and a 2 year old girl, and it got too scary for them. It is very edge-of-your-seat in some places, and the huge dragon at the end is fairly terrifying. Our 5 year old boy held his breath, peeked through his hands and held my hand at the scariest part, but everything turns out fine, and he didn't have any nightmares later. If your kid is prone to monster nightmares, maybe wait a year or two, but if not, this movie is fantastic.
Parent of a 4, 11, 12, 14, 16, and 16 year old Written by7mom7 April 2, 2010

Great Movie!

Very good movie.
Adult Written byMom4one March 27, 2010

A must see by 7+

I took my 7 year old and he loved it. I would say tho that it was very different then the book by Cowell. Guess that is where loosely based on comes from. I am glad we read it first. The effects are wonderful and action packed to boot. Definitely worth seeing more than once.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGloryGirl April 4, 2010

I think for some people. it would be a little scary, but I just got back from watching it and I loved it. I thought it was creative, touching, and funny. Example that don't judge people by the way they look, they could be the oposite.
Kid, 8 years old March 26, 2010

wonderful

I think this is a very good movie, but has some inappropriate things such as kissing. I enjoy the music and if some thing violent happens it does not have violent noises with it.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byscratchthis April 22, 2010

a disappointing ode to violence

Luckily I don't see a lot of "kids" movies but I was surprised at how violent this movie was. I was disappointed and wished I had known this before bringing my son to see it. The message of the movie was also very confused. The peace-loving message was ultimately attained through total violence. Very disturbing. While this movie seemed to question war as a way of solving disputes, it ultimately accepts the violent road without question. I was ashamed of the mockery of our troops who return with missing limbs from Iran and Afghanistan.
Adult Written byMovie Man April 1, 2010

Quite an Adventure

This is an exceptional animated film. It has intense action, fairly good voice acting, and a positive message about understanding and friendship. Parents don't have to be very cautioned when thinking about letting their seven or eight year olds see this film, but the dragon sequences may be too intense for six and under. I enjoyed this animated feature, but I wish it had some more plot details to it. Although, I do understand kids are not looking for plot details; just a lot of comic mishaps and cool action. Thanks for reading - Movie Man
Adult Written byGA-Aunt April 8, 2010

Dragons can be dangerous....

I went to this movie partly to screen it for my 5 year old nephew. In his case, I think we will wait for the video when he is just a bit older. But I'm submitting this because the number of characters using prosthetics surprised me. They don't make a big deal about it, which is good. But *IF* your kid seems concerned, might I suggest Googling athletes "Josh Sundquist" and/or "Oscar Pistorius."
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny November 1, 2011

Another treat from Dreamworks...

In the past years, Dreamworks has established itself as a gem in CGI animation. How To Train Your Dragon is another charming adaptation. It's complete with spectacular 3-D animation, colorful characters and scenery, and a star-studded cast that is sure to make you laugh. Besides that, the action is also pretty intense and the fire that the dragons breath is almost real. Hiccup is a scrawny viking boy who is helpless on the battlefield. However, all this changes when he shoots down the legendary Nightfury dragon. Unfortunately for him, no one believes it, so he sets out to find where the dragon landed. He finds it injured, unable to fly. At first, his intentions are to kill it, so he can prove that he caught it, but his kindness leads him to do otherwise and he befriends the dragon and calls him "Toothless". He's kinda like the Dog Whisper (except for dragons or "Dragon Whisperer"). That's all I'm gonna tell you, I don't wanna spoil the movie. Anyways, the violence is the likewise: fire-breathing dragons, ax-wielding vikings, an enormous dragon queen that eats the other smaller dragons, etc. Astrid and Hiccup kiss a few times and during the end. There are a few subliminal jokes, like the "breast hat" scene and there's also a part where Hiccup is in dragon training and Astrid lands on him and one of the guys shouts "Love on the battlefield", but these jokes are most likely to fly over young kids' heads. For those of you haven't watched this yet, I recommend it. It's fun, thrilling, and just plain awesome.
Parent of a 2, 4, 7, and 10 year old Written bykristyn April 17, 2010

Great family movie

Wonderful family movie about compassion, friendship, and self-discovery. I am pretty protective about violence, but the violent scenes in this movie were more action sequences than gore. There are some tense sequences particularly near the end, but even my somewhat scaredy-four-year-old loved it. Great moral, great characters and incredible animation. Our kids have also enjoyed the original series of books.