All parent member reviews for How to Train Your Dragon

Parent of a 2 year old Written byHeyLillie May 21, 2010
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 23, 2012

TOTALLY EPIC AND THRILLING!!!

Despite the mild violence and some scary scenes, there's nothing negative to say about this movie! It is totally awesome and the animation on the dragons and the scenery is absolutely amazing! This would be a great movie for the whole family! You will be on the edge of your seat!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBig Reb July 8, 2010

Great movie, might be a little scary for very young kids.

This was a great movie, enjoyable for both kids and adults. It actually got my son interested in the Vikings. If you have very young children who scare easily, some scenes might be a little too much for them, but other wise definitely give it a try.
Parent of a 6, 11, 15, and 17 year old Written bychrissyridergirl June 29, 2010
LOVED this movie. My 6 year old wasn't frightened, but I can see some more sensitive children being overwhelmed at certain points. Overall though an excellent movie.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bycyndifug8 June 20, 2010
My kids adore this movie - loved it to the extreme!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMamaBearNJ June 3, 2010
My son loved this action-packed movie, and I also cheered, though not always for the same reasons. How often do you see a movie that glamorizes nurturing as a heroic act? Not very often. All right, how often do you see a movie that celebrates nurturing in *boys*? Even less. Well, parents of boys, here's the movie to show your son that it can be cool to be kind. Hiccup -- a sort of nerd hero with a disarming sense of humor -- shows tremendous courage not by killing dragon but by taking the risk to make friends with one -- risking both social rejection if his friends find out, and death if the dragon misunderstands his gesture. You've probably heard by now how exciting the fight scenes are, especially in 3D. But there are also great character development scenes with the boy and dragon. This is also a great movie for people who love animals, because Hiccup essentially acts like an animal trainer, reading the dragon's body language and learning to send the right signals with his own gestures. How to Train Your Dragon also has positive portrayals of characters with disabilities. It's heart-warming, funny, and yes, full of exciting action. Some kids may find it a bit scary -- you have to know your kid's tolerance for scenes where the characters are in danger. Nobody dies, so you can safely tell them not to fear.
Adult Written bysignbrat04 May 28, 2010
when I saw this movie it is so adorable and it will help the kids to understand how to respect eery creature respect... I cant wait for the dvd to be release I willing to buy that dvd for my little sister and the kids
Parent of a 7 year old Written bySingleCatholicDad May 21, 2010

ALMOST a "Good Message"

While most of the movie seems to be making a positive statement about the benefits of "loving your enemies", it takes a huge poop near the end and ends up teaching us that violence prevails after all. The movie certainly isn't "inappropriate" for younger viewers (in this dad's opinion), but I'd recommend explaining to your child how the writers/directors missed the boat in the full story.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bycreativemom May 19, 2010

Younger children will require an adult

One will have to explain and talk about what is proper or improper with the characters behavior. But the end message and the message through the movie I think is good for all children to view and hear. Good always wins over evil and never hurt animals. Great movie!
Adult Written bykavmonkey May 6, 2010

An adventure for boys and girls!

My 4 year old daughter LOVED this movie. While there were some parts that startled us, it wasn't TOO scary. If your child scares pretty easily - I would wait a bit. We went in with the 'if at any point you would like to leave - we are out'. No need. Also, I loved that there were several girls, and they were in the movie quite a bit as central characters. It seems that often there are 'boy' movies or 'girl' movies. This had adventures for both.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byallietx April 26, 2010
Adult Written bydevolord12 April 18, 2010

Amazing.

I absolutley LOVED the movie. It is easy the best show I have seen in quite a while. I have seen it 6 times and it grabs me everytime. It one of those shows you just don't want to see end as soon as it does. I highly recommend everyone of any age to go and see it.
Adult Written byAcrophia April 16, 2010

A boy and his dragon, a bond that can never be broken. One of the best animated movies ever. Seriously.

Lets get this straight first. I'm generally your kind of person who loves hard rock and playing all sorts of video games with violence and whatnot in them, and yet this movie just made my heart leap for joy and cry at the same time to the point where I went looking for a dragon plush after the movie, the Night Fury Toothless is just so adorable! NOBODY can possibly not think he's just a cutey wittle dwagon! Anyways, this is defiantly a film almost ANYONE can enjoy. Teens, Kids, Adults, everyone! It defiantly is underrated, it deserved to earn so much more. Its a heart-wrenching tale of a boy and his dragon that create a loving bond that will make your heart melt. By the end, I was in tears (no spoilers). If you haven't yet, GO SEE IT! I've already seen it 4 times, and once in IMAX, which is totally worth the extra money to see, believe me!
Educator and Parent of a 6 year old Written bynylamowery April 11, 2010

Great movie, great message!

I thought this movie was great. There was a lot of violence and some parts that could be scary to younger or sensitive kids. My six year old loved it. She knows that dragons don't exist, so she was not frightened at all. There were a couple parts that made her jump while watching, but we saw it in 3-D too. In the ends the dragons are friendly so I don't have any worries of a lasting fear of dragons based off of this movie. Great animation!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife April 10, 2010
Well, after all the violence parents have been talking about, I was wondering how much I'd really like it. My kids LOVED it!!! The violence was mild...vikings trying to kill the dragons, dragons being captured, houses burning down, etc. Lots of action, but my kids LOVED it and so did I. We saw it in 3D and it was awesome. Not too much jumping out at you, it just enhanced the visuals. Parents with sensitive kids may want to stay clear of this movie until it comes out on video, though, if at all. I agree that the lost leg in the end was a bit much. My older one couldn't understand, so I told her now he was just like the dragon with a missing wing. I had to explain further why some people lose their limbs (accidents, illness, etc) but that they are still special and unique. I'm one that looks for opportunities like that in movies to discuss things with our kids. Age appropriate, of course! Anyway...The dragons were so endearing!! My kids just laughed and laughed!! We're definitely going to get this movie when it comes out on DVD!!! I know we'll watch it over and over. It's one I won't mind to watch right along with them!!
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bylschlezinger April 10, 2010

Visually Intense with Funny Moments

Fun film with great messages about understanding fear and how it can motivate hatred/violence. I thought the fight sequences were intense and longer than necessary. My 7.5 year old twins enjoyed it... but even six months ago would have been overwhelmed by tthe sound and visuals.
Adult Written byGA-Aunt April 8, 2010

Dragons can be dangerous....

I went to this movie partly to screen it for my 5 year old nephew. In his case, I think we will wait for the video when he is just a bit older. But I'm submitting this because the number of characters using prosthetics surprised me. They don't make a big deal about it, which is good. But *IF* your kid seems concerned, might I suggest Googling athletes "Josh Sundquist" and/or "Oscar Pistorius."
Parent of a 9 year old Written bysmccann April 8, 2010

We want to see it again!

LOVED IT! My eight, almost nine year old son was mesmerized. Heck my husband and I were mesmerized. As everyone has mentioned this is not for the youngsters who are sensitive, especially in the 3D version. There are darkly lit scenes, scary dragons, intense situations and a heavy theme about not fitting in. The saving grace to the intensity is that the humans are obviously animated so there is a large disconnect even if you do find yourself wishing you could train a dragon :) I think for 8/9 up this one is well worth seeing because of the story and because it's a beautiful work of animation. I don't think I've ever paid to see a movie more than once in a theater but this one I will! For me it was one of those movies where it starts and then suddenly you find yourself wishing it wouldn't end. Bottom line; a very touching, up lifting story about following your heart and finding your way despite differences set in an amazing fantasy animated world.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byalhj April 7, 2010