All parent member reviews for How to Train Your Dragon

Parent of a 7 year old Written byjoyy December 31, 2010

Exellent message and fun story

Loved this heart-felt, amazingly-animated movie. My 7 yr old clearly understood the excellent messages that going with the crowd is not always right...doing what IS right even when it's hard is worth it. Plus, she LOVED the tenderness between Hiccup and Toothless. Excellent animation. What a great film.
Adult Written byAlphaZK93 December 25, 2010

A perfect movie that is perfect for the family

This movie totally fired me up (LOL)! No concerns except for just a few little things: there is a part where Stoick says "When we crack open this mountain, all hell will break loose", and the violence factor. I mean, it's not gory at ALL, but younger kids might be frightened by the battles and the talk of "putting your first dragon head on a spear" and stuff. But really, the youngest age would probably be most 7 year olds. Although I do have a 3 year old cousin who absolutely loved it and was not frightened at all. It depends on your kids. But I don't want to delve into it too much. It was hilarious, awesome, great family film, great message, but a few actiony things that could frighten jittery kids. Have a great time watching it!!!
Adult Written byrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr November 17, 2010

i thought the movie was cute i watched with my siblings and we all loved it
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bynnm November 4, 2010

Fine for 6+ years old, but iffy for younger kids

I took my 4 and 6 year old boys and a 7 year old friend to see it in the theatre. My 4 year old was really scared in the end/climax of the movie. I even had to take him out in the lobby he was so scared. We are careful about what we let our kids watch, but even so, it surprised me that he was so scared, as he watches all the Star Wars movies and shows at home and has never been fearful. My 6 year old and the 7 year old friend both really liked it. I wonder if part of what scared my 4 year old so much was that it is so loud in the theaters. (He sometimes covers his ears.) For an older child (6+), I would recommend it - it is a cute story, although not the best I have seen.
Parent of a 2, 2, and 8 year old Written byFreckles_NH October 29, 2010

We just got this movie last week and all 3 of my children LOVED it. The youngest are almost 3 and the non 3D version of the movie was just fine for them. Granted I KNOW my kids and know that they are not afraid of dragons/dinosaurs so it was a non issue. My 8 yr old LOVED this movie, she was totally enthralled with the characters and story. I like that it had positive messages about not judging a book by its cover, for both the humans and dragons. Some parts might be a bit scary for younger kids, so use your judgment regarding your own children, but I am sure this is going to be a family favorite for years to come!
Adult Written bywaddlewundr October 22, 2010

Very good movie, some violence. Teaches kids about vikings. Overall good.
Parent Written byRazorMomma October 21, 2010

Perfect for All Ages

My kids are only 2 years old but they loved this movie! I think it is a good movie for kids of all ages and has a positive message in it that its ok to be different and ask questions if you dont understand or like what is going on.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byTTMa October 19, 2010

My kids and I love this movie!

Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byLovemyboyz October 16, 2010

Good for all ages

I saw this with both my boys and my youngest just like the fact that it was dragons flying around (he's 2) and my oldest liked the dragons but he said at the end when the boy fell and later his leg was removed kind of bothered him. I think it's too graphic in imagery for a child under 8 or so to see and understand and I don't think it should be in a movie that is supposed to be a positive message about courage, helping others, and cooperation (and even acceptance) .
Parent of a 5 year old Written bySuzJohnson October 12, 2010

Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written bymdpack September 30, 2010

Great dragon fun!!

I liked this move. It was a little scary and dark for younger kids who may be sensitive to that kind of thing. Overall the story was excellent and shows kids that you should not always judge people by the way they look or even by their actions at first. As the young stars of the show learn to work together and make new friends I think this will become a classic!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bywaterlilies September 22, 2010

A Family Favorite

I really loved this movie. It's a bit violent for little ones, especially at the beginning and during scenes of battle between the vikings and the dragons, but mostly it's cartoonish; you see people go flying off-screen, not getting wounded, per se. But the heart of this story is about a boy who just doesn't fit in with his culture, which is perceived as a failing on his part. Through his growing friendship with an "enemy" dragon, he discovers how his "weaknesses" are really undervalued strengths. There are many wonderful moments for the whole family. Recommended!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bylsdbird September 3, 2010

great for 6+

I was very surprised to like How to train your dragon. What surprises me was the story it was very emotional.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byTradsud August 5, 2010

Adult Written byKamaitachi August 3, 2010

Better than Avatar
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byJojano July 26, 2010

A great "big kid" movie (i.e. PG) that's not too scary.

Our whole family enjoyed this movie (mom, dad, age 9 son, age 7 daughter). It was not too scary for my daughter who tends to get scared a little easily. There are a few sad parts, but I just kept assuring my daughter that it ends happily. She did fine.
Adult Written byAYBABTU July 21, 2010

No concerns

Actually, it wouldn't let me choose the violent, sexy or language ones for my highlights. Those were my favorite parts, so I clicked on them.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byRYD July 10, 2010

Perfect for older kids but not under age 9!

I took my 5-year-old and 8-year-old to this. The 8-year-old loved it, my 5-year-old was crying and frightened for most of the movie and sad for the last part. I would say this is a fun movie for older kids who aren't afraid of scary animals, fire-breathing dragons and violent scenes, but DO NOT show this to younger children!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBig Reb July 8, 2010

Great movie, might be a little scary for very young kids.

This was a great movie, enjoyable for both kids and adults. It actually got my son interested in the Vikings. If you have very young children who scare easily, some scenes might be a little too much for them, but other wise definitely give it a try.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byexbaii July 6, 2010

The the characters were really fun and exciting for kids.