All parent member reviews for How to Train Your Dragon

Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bysusanlu70 January 10, 2015
Parent Written bySteph H July 17, 2014

4 year old

Excellent movie, but not for a four year old. The message was much older than he could understand. First movie my sons seen with kissing and he was shocked! Lol
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMemphisMaestro May 30, 2014

Nothing special, Dreamworks fail...

Definitely a movie for 10+ years old and up. Lots of "kill" usage and exorbitant amounts of fight scenes and violence, even a few "stab through the heart" phrases. Boring plot as it's the same ole' same ole': Misfit boy doesn't fit in, disapproving father, boy tries to make father proud and fit in and in the end, the boy proves everyone wrong, including his father. And of course there is a mix-in of boy likes girl, girl kisses boy in the end. Don't waste your time, it's better to watch re-runs of Tangled or Toy Story 1 before trying this movie out. Trust me.
Parent of a 3 and 3 year old Written byseagull77 March 23, 2013

very positive female role models

only saw in 2d on dvd, very positive female role models, my 3 year olds loved it but they are not easily scared. this is the only pg film i have let them see so far.
Adult Written bycourtwork March 6, 2013

A quality film - love it

I think this movie is spectacular. One of my favorites for kids. My nine year old boy loved loved loved it. A very quality film, I applaud DreamWorks.
Educator and Parent Written byhybs January 16, 2013

Great Movie, only loosely connected to the books

This was a terrific movie. The series of books by Cressida Cowel is also terrific. They really shouldn't have the same title. Other than the title and the adoption of character names they have a completely different premise and relationship between the dragons and the people. I found it disconcerting how different they were, even though my family really enjoys both. If you like the movie, check out the books. But come to them with an open mind. They will have a very different storyline than the movie.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bylbow October 19, 2012

Fun Movie

My 6 and 9 year old really enjoyed this movie. The action and adventure was just enough as was the humor. We watched it as a rental and will be buying it since we liked it.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 12, 2012

Really good!

This movie was PERFECT! Geat CGI,nice acting,huge adventure,lots of action,ect.I'd recommend How To Train Your Dragon to any Dreamworks fan (like myself!)
Parent Written byTruthSpeaker July 16, 2012

How To Train Your Dragon Review

I watch this movie numerous and for all the things I selected I agree it is true with the movie but sex, consumerism and language I think it's taking it a little bit too far. I fear that the person is overly sensitive and is probably have the mindset of 1930's person.
Adult Written bywonder dove May 24, 2012

Totally cute!

I saw this movie when it first hit theaters and it was love at first sight. Such a fun loving with lots of action and adventure. Some scary and violent sequences that may upset very young viewers but I think it's pretty good for kids 7 and up, depending on maturity level. If you like animated stories, this one is worth looking into. Worth purchasing also!
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 23, 2012

TOTALLY EPIC AND THRILLING!!!

Despite the mild violence and some scary scenes, there's nothing negative to say about this movie! It is totally awesome and the animation on the dragons and the scenery is absolutely amazing! This would be a great movie for the whole family! You will be on the edge of your seat!
Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

A Solid film

Great movie. Music is terrific. A little violent.
Parent Written bymom2queenie2004 July 19, 2011

A little more violent that I had thought

I agree with the original review listed, but want to add they used the word KILL over and over and over again.
Parent of a 7, 18+, and 18+ year old Written byhtcblondie May 31, 2011

Very Entertaining for entire fam!

Very entertaining for our entire family ~ even for my older two kids! The 8yr old LOVED all the dragons and sword fighting (of course)....anyways great message of story......
Parent Written byalovell April 1, 2011

sweet movie, you'll all cry together!

Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bymwood999 March 23, 2011

My daughter loved it!

My daughter loved this movie at the age of 6 and a half. She is normally scared at the intense action sequences, but she was ok with these in the context of the movie. I think that it helped that it was animated and with dragons. She has asked to rent this movie again and I am considering buying it instead because she enjoyed it so much.
Parent of a 10, 10, and 13 year old Written byOdysseyteacher March 15, 2011

Great family movie with something for everyone

Parent Written byimpish March 9, 2011

Terrific movie. May be intense for younger kids

I loved this movie and so did my kids. The story is sweet and kind with many positive messages for kids. That said, Parents might want to know that there are some violent and scary parts (fighting of dragons/battle scenes). My kids loved it, but some younger kids might find it scary.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byInconceivable March 5, 2011
Parent of a 6 and 16 year old Written bycowboygeek January 29, 2011

My six year old loved it!

Fantastic! Good story, lots of fun action. I have a pretty sensitive 6 year old that cried in Up! and he loved this.