All parent member reviews for How to Train Your Dragon

Adult Written bypqwnee April 25, 2010

took three, 8 year olds, one 17, one 18 and two 66, all loved it. Enough said
Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written bypeas in a pod April 24, 2010

twin boys need a dragon

LOVED IT!!! My kids each found the dragon they liked the most. And then really liked it when they realize that the dragons are just afraid of them. It was a good message to see how everyone could work together, even though I didn't like how the father was to stubborn to listen to his own son, and constantly insulted him. Luckily he found out he (the father) was wrong in the end. It's a cute movie that keeps the kids intersted, which these days is hard to do.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byaea309 April 19, 2010

What a gem of a movie!

I read the reviews here and decided to take my 9-year old son to see this one as opposed to Clash of the Titans. I'm not a fan of Dream Works movies. I hate the toilet and suggestive humor. But this was pretty clean. It was visually beautiful in 3D. A little scary for younger kids I would imagine but there were plenty of younger ones in the audience who seemed to enjoy it. It had a great message and a great ending. I jumped and held my breath in all the same places as my son did. Lots of action and fight scenes but really exciting and fun. And we were both totally satisfied at the end, and that's the way you want to leave a movie.
Adult Written bydevolord12 April 18, 2010

Amazing.

I absolutley LOVED the movie. It is easy the best show I have seen in quite a while. I have seen it 6 times and it grabs me everytime. It one of those shows you just don't want to see end as soon as it does. I highly recommend everyone of any age to go and see it.
Adult Written byAcrophia April 16, 2010

A boy and his dragon, a bond that can never be broken. One of the best animated movies ever. Seriously.

Lets get this straight first. I'm generally your kind of person who loves hard rock and playing all sorts of video games with violence and whatnot in them, and yet this movie just made my heart leap for joy and cry at the same time to the point where I went looking for a dragon plush after the movie, the Night Fury Toothless is just so adorable! NOBODY can possibly not think he's just a cutey wittle dwagon! Anyways, this is defiantly a film almost ANYONE can enjoy. Teens, Kids, Adults, everyone! It defiantly is underrated, it deserved to earn so much more. Its a heart-wrenching tale of a boy and his dragon that create a loving bond that will make your heart melt. By the end, I was in tears (no spoilers). If you haven't yet, GO SEE IT! I've already seen it 4 times, and once in IMAX, which is totally worth the extra money to see, believe me!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bynyn20032001 April 15, 2010

Adult Written byFooPets fare April 13, 2010

Best DreamWorks Movie Ever

I just loved this movie. The end made me cry :'). It was so touching... Definitely the BEST DreamWorks movie I've EVER seen.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byParatrooperWife April 10, 2010

Well, after all the violence parents have been talking about, I was wondering how much I'd really like it. My kids LOVED it!!! The violence was mild...vikings trying to kill the dragons, dragons being captured, houses burning down, etc. Lots of action, but my kids LOVED it and so did I. We saw it in 3D and it was awesome. Not too much jumping out at you, it just enhanced the visuals. Parents with sensitive kids may want to stay clear of this movie until it comes out on video, though, if at all. I agree that the lost leg in the end was a bit much. My older one couldn't understand, so I told her now he was just like the dragon with a missing wing. I had to explain further why some people lose their limbs (accidents, illness, etc) but that they are still special and unique. I'm one that looks for opportunities like that in movies to discuss things with our kids. Age appropriate, of course! Anyway...The dragons were so endearing!! My kids just laughed and laughed!! We're definitely going to get this movie when it comes out on DVD!!! I know we'll watch it over and over. It's one I won't mind to watch right along with them!!
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bylschlezinger April 10, 2010

Visually Intense with Funny Moments

Fun film with great messages about understanding fear and how it can motivate hatred/violence. I thought the fight sequences were intense and longer than necessary. My 7.5 year old twins enjoyed it... but even six months ago would have been overwhelmed by tthe sound and visuals.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byalhj April 7, 2010

Parent Written bylittleshelly April 7, 2010

debatable about the age, but not really for kids under 6 in my opinion

My daughter is almost 6 and loved it. The only thing I didn't really like was............SPOILER..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................why did the main character have to lose a foot at the end?? It was completely unnesessary.
Adult Written byA&Ksmom April 6, 2010

The whole family really enjoyed this movie. My ten yr old daughter loved it! I'd easily see it again. Love the msgs about not doing things the same way just because that's the way they've always been done. Conflict of trying to be obedient to parents and elders yet self also.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byH2Clark April 6, 2010

Great, great show!

My 7 yo boy had questions on the dialogue and intentions, and my 5 yo boy was on the edge of his seat. We love this.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byamesisland April 5, 2010

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byduhleila April 4, 2010

Good movie for bigger kids.

This was a pretty good movie, but it was way too scary for my 5 year old. It's pretty violent & action packed. But the message is really great and makes the movie watchable for adults too.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byPhillyOC April 4, 2010

Parent of a 3 year old Written bymemommy1 April 3, 2010

wonderful movie!

love it... i went with my 4-year old... i told her there may be scary parts and that we could leave if needed... she did fine as I knew the boy was going to be ok with the dragon... I just told her that was going to happen... she never seemed scared and loved the dragons... I loved the story too!
Adult Written byDr.Pepper April 3, 2010

This is the best Dreamworks movie I have ever seen. The only problem is that there are many tense/scary scenes of dragons that will probably be frightening to young children.
Adult Written bymama k March 30, 2010

This was a fresh, original, funny, cool movie that unfortunately let itself down in favor of a big action sequence at the end. Hiccup is the inventive, scientific spirit that learns how to see dragons for what they are, and has to stand up to his father, a famous dragon-slayer. Wonderful creatures, great characters, a plot that builds. But in the end, Hiccup does not tame or understand but follows his father's assumption that the biggest dragon must be killed because it's way too scary, I guess. We left with questions about how killing a "queen dragon" could create unforeseen problems, and wondering why the writers didn't follow the theme of learn-about-what-scares-you-don't-just-kill-it through to a more satisfying conclusion.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bywateboe March 30, 2010

I saw this with my seven year old daughter this weekend and we both loved it. We happened to see the 2-D version, but I was blown away by the realistic quality of the movement and action (although the characters themselves are delightfully animated-looking.) The action was intense and may be a bit too scary for younger or more sensitive kids, but it was just right for us. The characters are terrific, funny, lovable, believable, and endearing. We both LOVED the dragons, especially Toothless. I am a pretty frugal entertainment shopper, but I am toying with the idea of going to see it again in 3-D just to get the full effect. This is a movie that we will buy as soon as it is available on DVD and will likely watch again and again.