All member reviews for How to Train Your Dragon

Thrilling 3-D adventure sends brains-over-brawn message.

Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written byAnne1 February 5, 2011

ok for kindergarteners if they are not easily scared.

my 5 year old twins liked it, but one was very concerned about the loss of hiccup's leg.
Kid, 9 years old January 20, 2011

sad first time

Hiccup wants to kill dragons and main person loses his leg
Teen, 13 years old Written byocie14 October 30, 2010

Fun movie

I really enjoyed this movie. It is a bit violent though, but little kids can handle it. But the end is actually kind of sad, cause the main character, Hiccup, ends up losing his leg and he's only like 15.
Parent of a 2, 2, and 8 year old Written byFreckles_NH October 29, 2010

We just got this movie last week and all 3 of my children LOVED it. The youngest are almost 3 and the non 3D version of the movie was just fine for them. Granted I KNOW my kids and know that they are not afraid of dragons/dinosaurs so it was a non issue. My 8 yr old LOVED this movie, she was totally enthralled with the characters and story. I like that it had positive messages about not judging a book by its cover, for both the humans and dragons. Some parts might be a bit scary for younger kids, so use your judgment regarding your own children, but I am sure this is going to be a family favorite for years to come!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bywaterlilies September 22, 2010

A Family Favorite

I really loved this movie. It's a bit violent for little ones, especially at the beginning and during scenes of battle between the vikings and the dragons, but mostly it's cartoonish; you see people go flying off-screen, not getting wounded, per se. But the heart of this story is about a boy who just doesn't fit in with his culture, which is perceived as a failing on his part. Through his growing friendship with an "enemy" dragon, he discovers how his "weaknesses" are really undervalued strengths. There are many wonderful moments for the whole family. Recommended!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bylsdbird September 3, 2010

great for 6+

I was very surprised to like How to train your dragon. What surprises me was the story it was very emotional.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byTradsud August 5, 2010

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byJojano July 26, 2010

A great "big kid" movie (i.e. PG) that's not too scary.

Our whole family enjoyed this movie (mom, dad, age 9 son, age 7 daughter). It was not too scary for my daughter who tends to get scared a little easily. There are a few sad parts, but I just kept assuring my daughter that it ends happily. She did fine.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBig Reb July 8, 2010

Great movie, might be a little scary for very young kids.

This was a great movie, enjoyable for both kids and adults. It actually got my son interested in the Vikings. If you have very young children who scare easily, some scenes might be a little too much for them, but other wise definitely give it a try.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRosenrott June 4, 2010

A great family film

I loved this movie. It shows the importance of family, friends, how 'brain beats brawn', and has a little bit of that fantasy magic that bring out the child in older viewers and spark fascination and wonder in younger viewers. My family and my friends all enjoyed it. A few scenes are a bit violent and may scare young children. The ending somewhat negates the message of the film, but is still effective. Also, it's absolutely beautiful in 3-D!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMamaBearNJ June 3, 2010

My son loved this action-packed movie, and I also cheered, though not always for the same reasons. How often do you see a movie that glamorizes nurturing as a heroic act? Not very often. All right, how often do you see a movie that celebrates nurturing in *boys*? Even less. Well, parents of boys, here's the movie to show your son that it can be cool to be kind. Hiccup -- a sort of nerd hero with a disarming sense of humor -- shows tremendous courage not by killing dragon but by taking the risk to make friends with one -- risking both social rejection if his friends find out, and death if the dragon misunderstands his gesture. You've probably heard by now how exciting the fight scenes are, especially in 3D. But there are also great character development scenes with the boy and dragon. This is also a great movie for people who love animals, because Hiccup essentially acts like an animal trainer, reading the dragon's body language and learning to send the right signals with his own gestures. How to Train Your Dragon also has positive portrayals of characters with disabilities. It's heart-warming, funny, and yes, full of exciting action. Some kids may find it a bit scary -- you have to know your kid's tolerance for scenes where the characters are in danger. Nobody dies, so you can safely tell them not to fear.
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2010

Cute but a little scary.

Overall, the movie is cute and great but I didn't like the scene where the dragon and the boy were fighting all those evil, scary, mean dragons. The biggest dragon could have been the scariest character of all in this movie. But thanks to the small dragon and the boy, they all lived happily ever after.
Adult Written bygoosiekeen April 5, 2010

Other than a reference to breasts (Hiccup's Viking helmet made from "your mother's breast plate") my six year old and I loved this movie. Most kids in this age range love dinosaurs and dragons, and you realize early on that the dragons (with the exception of the "queen") were sensitive and had likeable personalities. I think most kids around 6 get this. The flying and battle scenes were exhilarating. We smiled from start to end. I didn't think the 3D was really a benefit, though.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byDesignerMama March 30, 2010

My 7 year old loved it, my 5 year old liked it but was a little antsy... it is slightly long for an animated flick.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byTammyBailey March 30, 2010

This movie will frighten young children but tweens will love it.

I like that the dad told his son he was sorry for not listening to him
Parent of a 12 year old Written byRenediance March 30, 2010

One of my favorite movies since Finding Nemo!!!

This movie had a wonderful message of friendship, loyalty, communication and standing up for what you believe in. It also had a great message about accepting yourself and others for who they are. Great story, graphics and charactors. May be a bit scary with some of the dragons for littler kids, but perfect for Everyone else. Go see it!!!
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written byjuls March 30, 2010

This is a great movie for older kids. The dragons can be a bit scary throughout the whole movie and although the ending has a good message (everyone can work together and be happy), it's hard for a young child to see past the scary dragons.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bypattygb March 27, 2010

pretty good movie

this is a really good movie - so good that we saw it on opening day. Some scenes may be too scary for younger kids, the 3D effects really intensify the action.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byflashinthepan March 27, 2010

Just O.K. nothing that special - a remake stealing parts from 10 other movies

This animation movie is o.k.. It is a story taken from numerous other movies like Eragon, Dragonheart, Harry Potter, Dragonslayer, Reign of Fire, etc. Just another remake of other movie characters into this theme with vikings? So big deal! It has good computer animation, but so what. What is the big deal everybody is making about this movie, it is just o.k. It's not a wholesome movie with real people in it like "Diary of a Wimpy Kid", which we enjoyed more as a family. We didn't think it was as clever as Shrek. It's just o.k. I am getting tired of computer graphics movies in 3D with a high price tag. Just because Dreamworks made it doesn't mean it's great? There are way too many computer animated stories and too few "real people" stories these days for kids and families. Is everybody resigned today to just join the bandwagon and say it's great if something is computer animation with rollercoaster action? Is that what we have become, puppets?
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBest Mom March 26, 2010

Just because something or someone looks scarry doesn't mean it is. Fear can lead to hate but understanding can lead to peace. What a wonderful movie!