All member reviews for How to Train Your Dragon

Thrilling 3-D adventure sends brains-over-brawn message.

Teen, 15 years old Written byArpy November 23, 2012

Fun But For The Girl

Anyone who can watch Monster's Inc. can watch this one! No death is actually shown, so in regard to violence, I think it minimal. The story is good, the flying is intensely exciting, Toothless is the coolest, most adorable animal in film history, and Hiccup is a great, hard-working, intelligent, caring role model. The girl, however, is another thing. The only thing she seems to think about is how she can win the dragon-training competition, and how dumb and wimpy Hiccup is. She has very few redeeming qualities, and only makes a semi-apology because she's scared of falling off a dragon to her death when Hiccup takes her flying. Sure, the two kids kind of make up -- when she discovers that Hiccup is the only Viking who can ride a dragon and therefore the coolest date. The story is fun, the animation is great, the action is exciting, and the music is incredible. All-round, a great movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byI<3God November 9, 2012

One of the best movies EVER!

When I first saw the previews for this movie a few years ago, I thought it looked stupid. BUT, I watched it at my friend's house and I LOVED IT! &lt;3 It's fabulous! I loved Hiccup and how he was different, and also his ideas. There was some violence that could be scary for little kids, but besides that, this movie is perfect for everyone! :)
Kid, 9 years old November 3, 2012

look below and start reading

this movie is on for ages 7 and up because of the violence the dragons are merciless except for i dont remember his name but the good dragon. the evil dragons are scary especially the giant one in the cave.
Kid, 10 years old November 1, 2012

Better Book, Much Better Movie.

If you have read the book, which is pretty epic, you will start the movie off disliking the major changes that are put into place. But, as the movie progresses, you will start to except the changes. Many characters in the story you wouldn't want your kid to be like, such as the vikings, but Hiccup, the main character, is a great role model, for having brain and not brawn. As violence is concerned, yeah, I guess so. The film does have some jumpy scenes, and several while flying. It's nothing major, unless you're watching it in 3D. As for romance, a little bit. Throughout the film, Hiccup wants a date, and halfway through the film, a date with Astrid. Snotlout, the bully, continuisly try to flirt with Astrid only to be rejected. Just remember: when Snotlouts on screen, prepare yourself. Language is one of the only downers of this film. At it's worst, I think it would be mockery, such as: son of a thor. All the others are normal like h word. Last note: Hiccups voice is annoying.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bylbow October 19, 2012

Fun Movie

My 6 and 9 year old really enjoyed this movie. The action and adventure was just enough as was the humor. We watched it as a rental and will be buying it since we liked it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag October 16, 2012

Superb animated picture has important messages, but also some intense scenes.

"How I Trained your Dragon" is an animated fantasy movie coming from Dreamworks pictures. One thing you propably know is that after its release there was a huge hype around this movie, especially on the internet. However, this movie proves that not all hyped movies are bad. "How to Train your Dragon" is not only very well animated and has superb, positive messages: even though they are depicted as ruthless, gruesome killers, the human protagonist looks beyond and figures out that the dragons are much less violent and much more intelligent than he thought. At first get known to someone, before you judge. Becoming friends and working together is always better than hate and violence. Apart from this, you can say that the movie is extremely well-made in animation and story. (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie is not completely harmless. The vikings and dragons fight, and even though there is no blood, it could be too intense for very young viewers. There is no strong detail. In a book there are drawings of people and dragons fighting, at some of them blood is seen. This is not too strong and it is a not graphic drawing in a book. The evil dragon may scare some younger viewers, being extremely huge, and at one point swallowing another dragon (this dragon is not part of the story). The most intense moment is at the end. The human protagonist almost dies, but in the end survives, but his leg is missing. There are no wounds or blood, or graphic detail. However, it is very unusual for an animated movie aimed at younger viewers that a character comes out harmed. However, the movies "The Lion King" and "Up" are much more intense (just that you have a comparisation). (END OF SPOILERS) Should be okay for viewers around the age of 6.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 12, 2012

Really good!

This movie was PERFECT! Geat CGI,nice acting,huge adventure,lots of action,ect.I'd recommend How To Train Your Dragon to any Dreamworks fan (like myself!)
Teen, 16 years old Written byGoodActionMovieFan7 September 16, 2012

Movie Reviews From A Teenager: How To Train Your Dragon

How To Train Your Dragon is the sweetest movie I have ever seen! I'm a junior in high school and this is still one of my favorite movies. It's one of the most touching movies you'll ever watch. What parents should look for: Violence: Though this movie is a kids' movie, it does have a fair share of violence in it, none of which gory or bloody in any way. There are multiple fight scenes between Vikings and Dragons, the outcome of which are only some non-graphic punching and tackling. In one scene, a massive dragon eats two smaller dragons; one by swallowing it whole and the other is grabbed by its tail and dragged into an abyss. But it is not graphic so I wouldn't worry about it at all. Positive messages: This movie is about teamwork, overcoming differences and not judging a book by its cover. The main character, Hiccup, discovers that dragons and humans can work together and that they don't have to kill each other. Hiccup's father has to learn that love is unconditional whether or not the child follows in their parents' footsteps. Positive Role Models: Hiccup is your skinny, intelligent and incredibly sarcastic teenager, who's dream is to fit in. Through trying to fit in, he injures and discovers a dragon. Instead of killing it, he frees it, eventually befriending the dragon and discovering that dragons are not the blood-thirsty animals they thought them to be. Hiccup eventually shows his village that dragons and humans can peacefully coexist. Astrid is a positive role model for girls, showing that a girl can be just as tough as any male viking. She's also smart and strong-willed, accentuating a strong female figure. Overall I'd give this movie 5 stars because it's just so beautiful; the music, message and movie is stunning. I would suggest that children no younger than 6 see this film due to violence.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShannon528 August 19, 2012

Fantasic Movie!

I loved this movie! It's message and themes are relatable and exciting, the animation is amazing, the characters are deep, and the dragons are very cool. My little 8-year old brother went with me to see it and loved it as well. There's really no adult humor or language that is questionable, and the violence is mild. Parents will probably enjoy this movie as much as their kids.
Parent Written byTruthSpeaker July 16, 2012

How To Train Your Dragon Review

I watch this movie numerous and for all the things I selected I agree it is true with the movie but sex, consumerism and language I think it's taking it a little bit too far. I fear that the person is overly sensitive and is probably have the mindset of 1930's person.
Kid, 9 years old June 6, 2012

Scary fun.

Very good movie. But I saw this in 3D and my little sister was terrified. It was very loud and questionably scary when it came to the dragons looks. I would not let any child younger than 6 years old watch this.
Adult Written bywonder dove May 24, 2012

Totally cute!

I saw this movie when it first hit theaters and it was love at first sight. Such a fun loving with lots of action and adventure. Some scary and violent sequences that may upset very young viewers but I think it's pretty good for kids 7 and up, depending on maturity level. If you like animated stories, this one is worth looking into. Worth purchasing also!
Teen, 16 years old Written byabbacus May 23, 2012

Fun movie with geed messages.

Very good messages about friendship. Kids (and adults) will enjoy this movie.
Kid, 9 years old May 20, 2012

Movie Based on the Book: "How To Train Your Dragon"

However, based on the book, and is a fine movie. But it shows symbols of a sword THROUGH a dragon, and that stuff. It also has a cut dragon, which is like a cat. It also has gross stuff, like when a dragon spits a fish out, a person eat a bit of it.
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 23, 2012

TOTALLY EPIC AND THRILLING!!!

Despite the mild violence and some scary scenes, there's nothing negative to say about this movie! It is totally awesome and the animation on the dragons and the scenery is absolutely amazing! This would be a great movie for the whole family! You will be on the edge of your seat!
Teen, 14 years old Written byj10a1 April 21, 2012

Great for almost all ages

Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 March 28, 2012

Great kids' action film

Lots of action. Some rude humor. Nothing m,ajor
Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2012

wow i luved it!

great film about a dragon and a boy, what more could you want?
Teen, 13 years old Written byAbe1998 March 1, 2012

Great movie!

Awesome! Very good movie. The dragons weren't that scary (they don't scare me in any sort of way, but idk about your kids). Some kids might find the dragons scary. Some intense action scenes. My 7-year-old sis loves it. The only thing in my opinion parents might find questionable is that they say some gruesome quotes about killing dragons (Your first dragon head on a spear; spilling a dragon's guts) and a part where they have a book on dragons, and some of the picks have beheaded vikings, but it's very un-realistic. Mild flirting. Good role models. Makes you want to own a dragon :) They do say "hell" once, but I don't think they mean it as a cuss word. I think they mean the place hell.
Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

A Solid film

Great movie. Music is terrific. A little violent.