All member reviews for How to Train Your Dragon

Thrilling 3-D adventure sends brains-over-brawn message.

Teen, 15 years old Written byGreenMaple January 1, 2012

A great family animation

This is a great movie for a relatively wide age range, though there is some violence with reference to killing. There are a number of themes that are easy to pick up on such as loyalty, and the story is wonderful.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDVDVITI November 11, 2011

Stupid movie

Super violent, and lots of language.
Kid, 12 years old October 9, 2011

Uplifting and Much Better Than Expected

A few scenes that are scary, but not gory, bloody, or very violent. Dragons breathe fire, etc. What you'd expect for a dragon film. But this particular movie soars because of its tale of friendship between man and animal that includes great character development and messages to overcome fears and not always be afraid of the unknown. Another message is to treat with respect, even if you are respecting something that is of a different background. Entertaining and sends many good messages.
Kid, 11 years old August 17, 2011

Great movie

I have seen this movie and no blood was shown the only injury was Hiccup losing his left leg but the viewer cannot see it until the end. The language isn't really an issue for this is a PG movie. The movie stayed entertaining the whole time.
Parent Written bymom2queenie2004 July 19, 2011

A little more violent that I had thought

I agree with the original review listed, but want to add they used the word KILL over and over and over again.
Kid, 8 years old July 18, 2011

stupid

Stupid waste of time
Teen, 16 years old Written byJ-Yo July 1, 2011

Wonderful movie for everyone

How to Train Your Dragon is a fantastic movie. Hiccup is a great role model for children, especially when he stands up to his father in order to save a life. It's an action-packed, emotional movie that kids may not pick up on, but hey, they'll be entertained. Some of the violence can be a little dark and scary for younger kids, but it pays off with its story of friendship between dragon and human (SPOILER: the two come to symbolically mirror each other in the end).
Teen, 13 years old Written byheavymetalfanatic June 29, 2011

absolutely adorable movie

i loved this movie!! it was sooo cute :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byJaneEyre<3 June 17, 2011

LOVED IT!

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!WATCH IT!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySosie98 June 13, 2011

Great, With the Exception of Asnith

In this movie, Hiccup is a great hero, and I was very saddened by how his life ended up, but I found how they depicted Asnith (is that it?) as a ruthless, jerk, who fell for him so suddenly that it didn't make any sense, pointless. As a girl I like a good, strong, female role model in my movies, but Asnith, besides being strong, didn't really have good traits. She was very shallow, as were her friends at the training camp, because, as she soon finds out, they only like her for her accomplishments. Soon, when Hiccup begins to get better they leave her all alone at her own table. Asnith besides, this was a very good movie. Some action sequences, especially the large explosion at the end, will scare some children. I was shocked at the end when we found out that Hiccup's leg was blown off in the explosion and he was using a creepy wooden prosthetic. However, this movie shows that you can overcome any obstacle whether it's a broken wing or a lost leg. I loved how the story circled around again, with Hiccup and the dragon both having prosthetics. Some parents might be a little shocked about how Hiccup's father treats him. How he is ashamed of his son's lack of strength. But we all must remember Mulan and 'you have dishonored me'. Horrible parents come up in all sorts of movies. Amazing movie.
Parent of a 7, 18, and 20 year old Written byhtcblondie May 31, 2011

Very Entertaining for entire fam!

Very entertaining for our entire family ~ even for my older two kids! The 8yr old LOVED all the dragons and sword fighting (of course)....anyways great message of story......
Kid, 10 years old May 29, 2011

How to Train Your Dragon

Hiccup is a good role model from the beginning, though the others step on later. There is two uses of h***. The violence is moderate, most often leading to scary images. This was a very good movie.
Kid, 9 years old May 7, 2011

Fabulous movie!

I absolutely LOVE this movie even though it has almost nothing to do with the book.It's funny and perfect for kids and adults although young children might be scared by the more violent dragons.
Kid, 11 years old May 5, 2011

I consider this to be a *distant* prequel to the books

Well, they started with dragons fighting the vikings, very different from the book, but *I* think that this could be a *very* distant prequel. I mean the MOVIE centers on Hiccup (I think his full name is Hiccup Horrendous Haddock I). I mean really, after Movie!Hiccup dies people forget about treating their dragons with care, and start to just YELL at them to get them to obey, and only those descendants that physically resemble him will be named after him. Book!Hiccup has trouble with the fact that he *only* has a common dragon. Why? Because Movie!Hiccup had a Night Fury. Thus forcing Book!Hiccup to make up "Toothless Daydreams". So yeah, the book's better, but *maybe* you should watch this first, place Movie!Hiccup as Hiccup Horrendous Haddock The First, and Book!Hiccup as Hiccup Horrendous Haddock The Third, with people forgetting about being *nice* to dragons and just yelling at them, somewhere in between the Hiccups (and possibly before Hiccup Horrendous Haddock II). Signing off, this was Trix Bunny
Kid, 12 years old April 27, 2011

awesome movie!

I love it! best movie ever! toothless is so cool, its got lots of fun in it, like when Hiccup is first learning how to control toothless they crash a lot. its just a really great movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydark chocolate32 April 25, 2011

i liked most of it was good but i dont recomend this for the ages 9 and down.
Kid, 10 years old April 19, 2011

my 3 and 6 year old cousins watched it and was fine with it
Kid, 10 years old April 14, 2011

great family movie

AWSOME MOVIE
Teen, 15 years old Written byCedricDoodlehopper April 12, 2011

Good Movie

This is a good movie. I have heard people say there is a f word in it. I never heard it. One F word gets a movie a PG-13 rating (although I am not so sure about how often this rule is followed). Two or more gets it a R rating. There is no f word or any other sex related swear word in a PG movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLove_my_Dogs_SMR April 10, 2011

good movie

i like the dragon kinda thing. it was a good movie. got to love tootless!