All member reviews for Howl's Moving Castle

Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

So good. A must for everyone.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvioletflames January 19, 2012

Amazing!

One of my favorite Miyazaki moives! It is a very charming, sweet story. Sophie is a great female role model, sticking up for her beliefs and never giving up. Howl shows how someone can change from vain, to caring. The animation is also beautiful! I rated it at 9 and up, because the scenes with the witches henchmen may frighten younger children, as well as howl in his tantrum. Also, I watched this when I was 7 and was bored, but coming back to it 2 years later, I loved it! So I say anyone 9 and up should watch this!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTangiRose January 18, 2012

A Wonderful Masterpeice...With a "Ketchup" Covered Scene

I love this movie. Love. Love. Love. The storyline is imaginative yet realistic, and the animation is stellar, especially for an anime. I got a lot of insparation from this (Animation and art-wise...I love drawing and animating shorts!! <3), but it is rather violent. SPOILER ALERT: One scene (Hahahah...and one of my favorites), it's the middle of the night, and Howl is walking in to his Moving Castle, apperently after a long and exhausting battle. As he stumbles up the stairs, a trail of think, red blood can be seen. He goes into his room upstairs, and the door shutting wakes up the main charachter. She follows him, trying to avoid the blood, to make sure he's okay (odviously not). When she opens the door, Howl has turned into some type of bird-like monster, with feathers and blood covering the room. He's sitting up in his bed, breathing heavily and gasping. She reaches out to him, but he only says, "Go away." After this motion and line are repeated a few times, he--or should I say it--turns on her and rampages. She gets out in time, and in the morning Howl has returned to normal. No blood, no feathers, nothin'. END OF SPOILERS ...Just thought ya might like to know. If that were live-action, I don't think the movie would've been rated PG. Other than that AWESOME scene, the rest of the movie is great. So, if you're watching it with young children, I suggest you just skip it. :)
Teen, 15 years old Written by99IsMyLuckyNumber December 29, 2011

NO. JUST NO.

GEEZ THE WAY HOWL WAS COVERED IN GREEN SLIME, AND THEN THE OLD LADY AND HOWL? NO NO NO NO, I CANT HELP BUT BE GROSSED OUT AND SERIOUSLY. EVERYTHING WAS UGLY SO MANY EVIL PEOPLE AND SJUST NOOOO......EWWW AND ALL THE KISSING AND THEY ALL HAD WHISKEY O_O
Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette November 26, 2011

To people with little kids:

There are some disturbing scenes. Howl in beast form is scary! The blob-men are scary! To me, the little dancing star peeps are creepy! The witch climbing up the stairs gives my 18 year old sister nightmares! don't get me wrong! this movie is AWESOME
Teen, 16 years old Written bymrmistofelees November 12, 2011

If your kids watch Harry Potter, this movie is no problem.

This is a great movie. Most of the main characters have flaws which are worked out by the end of the movie, and also, as a bonus, the main character is female, so if you're the type to look for female role models, here you go. There are a couple of scary scenes toward the end of the movies, and a character "dies" Beauty-and-the-Beast-style. Anyone who loves fantasy movies should watch this.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAnimeAelita August 17, 2011

Howl's Moving Castle~

Another well done Miyazaki film! I quite enjoyed this film, as did my mother (who usually doesn't like Anime films). It was cute, &funny; there is violence &some "scarry" images, so parents be cautioned when thinking about letting young children watch this film. Calcifer (the fire-demon) is a bit rude, but still comical &a decent character. Sophie was a young lady who was turned into an old woman by the Witch of the Waste. I liked how she says, "Why do you get so cold when you're old? I'm fatter than ever yet the wind blows right through me!" It made my mother laugh (&myself). Overall I thought it was a grand film, definatly reccomending it!
Teen, 16 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina August 10, 2011

So cute :)

Ok so I am a bit of an older teen and me and my sisters (ones my twin and another 2 years younger) we were going to watch a bunch of horror movies but didn't feel like it so we watched this movie which I haven't seen in years. I loved it! A few of the scenes may be scary to younger kids and I thought the witch of the waste was kinda creepy but the story is GREAT. And I love the talking fire character. It's so cute and I would recommend it to anyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieWizard August 7, 2011

Well worth the watch.

Even though the story is a little weird, it is perfectly appropriate and absolutely brilliant.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEvonyflyer June 19, 2011

Awesome Movie!

I loved this movie!! Probably one of the best Studio Ghibli movies there is. Very sweet, kind of like Beauty and the Beast, but in this case the girl gets turned into a old lady by an evil witch. I highly recommend this movie for younger children, tweens, and kids in their early teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymathgirlie June 13, 2011

One of my favorite Miyazaki films of all time!

This movie is NOT based on the book by Diana Wynne Jones, just to get that out of the way. While I'm usually a little wary of movies that don't follow the book, Miyazaki pulls it off, creating something that (dare I say it?) is better than the book itself. A classic Miyazaki film, portraying love at its sweetest and most innocent, blossoming between two unlikely people: a vain and seemingly childish wizard (but don't judge a book by its cover!)and a girl with a curse placed on her that has turned her into an old woman. I highly recommend this movie for anyone, although you might want to preview it for children under the age of 7 - while Howl hates the idea of war and does everything he can to avoid fighting, the aerial battles and bombs exploding on towns might frighten the very young.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycasnip May 13, 2011

I have been watching Miyazaki movies since I was little, and they all have a positive message, and good role models.
Kid, 11 years old April 17, 2011

random up to you but i think 10+ cause they might not understand because they dont know much and well... thats it!

what ever don't care anyways. it sounds boring so i recommend it is boring to me that is but i suggest that ppl shouldn't take this as an example its good to do new things but for my opinion watch new things! LOL :)
Teen, 17 years old Written byAlysson_Wonderland March 26, 2011

Teen, 15 years old Written byangelabovedemonbelow March 4, 2011

Good for older people

I saw this a long time ago, and it bored me because I couldn't understand it to save my life. I just recently watched it (recently being last night) and realized this is an amazing movie with good messages and good animation. I don't see why some say it's somewhat creepy, but I am older. It a great movie and a must to see.
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2010

beautiful art, nice characters. 10 stars ;)

I watched this when I was 8, and and zoned through the WHOLE film. (what can i say?...) I watched it again when i was 10, and for the whooolllleee moving stuck my face to the screen. Very entertaining, slightly bittersweet. I recommend this for a family movie night, or just a friday night flick. :D very nice! <3 it
Kid, 11 years old December 22, 2010

It was boring to me....
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusic4life92 October 13, 2010

Kid, 12 years old August 13, 2010

Perfect For Older Ones, But Younger Ones May Not Like It As Much

I LOVE this movie! As always, Miyazaki created another masterpiece! Younger ones may find the blob-people a little creepy, but everyone will love it, just the same! Even people who aren't fond of anime (japanese animation, which is what this is) like it!
Kid, 11 years old August 1, 2010

Younger ones won't appreciate it, but everyone will love it no matter what

Another Masterpeice done by Miyazaki. The plot is somewhat confusing so your younger ones may not understand it too well, but a pause break to explain things will solve it. Your familly will enjoy this movie wether its teenagers or 5-year-olds :))