All member reviews for Hugo

Kid, 12 years old December 3, 2011

very great for people and kids who can comprehend well

very great movie! No violence, accept hugo almost gets run over by a train in his dream, then in his real life. No sexual stuff. Isabelle kisses hugo on the cheek. The only reason I put it as 9+ is because the plot is advanced and the book is young adult level. Iread it and the movie follows nearly every word. My sister is 8 and she didn't really understand the messages.
Kid, 11 years old November 27, 2011

Truly the best!

There were no boring parts. This movie also teaches you how movies used to be and how they were silent. However, some parts were scary and may be disturbing for little kids. Also, they might not understand what is going on in some scenes. Overall, a great movie for tweens. P.S: the 3-D was amazing and magical!
Kid, 12 years old November 23, 2011

A brilliant take on the book is most enjoyable for those who have read the story

Hugo is very fun and touching. It closely follows the story with relatively few plot changes. Like the book, the movie deals with death, the treatment of orphans in the early 1930's of Paris, and friendship. Scenes are made visual that in the book were described in pictures. There is a rather tense (if you've read the book) moment when you see Hugo's dad walking in the museum, as readers of the story may be nervous about the inevitable fire. If you haven't read the book it is a "jump scene" when suddenly a fire rushes at Hugo's father. Also, Hugo's uncle Claude is shown as a drunkard, and later described so. Hugo is almost run over by a train twice, though, it turns out that the first time was just a dream. He also has a disturbing dream that he is turning into the automaton and being crushed by giant cogs. One scene made visual is the demonstration of what happens to orphans: Hugo sees a boy start to steal food, only to be roughly dragged off and put in a puny cell by the station inspector. The next day, that boy is put in a police van and presumably taken to an orphanage. This scene really disturbed my 10 year old sister, though I doubt most kids her age would find it so. There is a sweet romance between three pairs of characters; the station inspector and the flower vendor, a cafe waitress and a man whom her dog hates, and Mr. and Mrs. Méliès. Hugo and Isabelle also become fast friends, and help each other out of (and into) realistic dangers. This film will have appeal to both boys and girls, but may be most enchanting to those who have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2011

Touching

"Hugo" is very touching and has positive messages. I think any people can watch this movie if they can understand what it's about. I watched this with my friends because it was one of my friends birthday and my friend actually read the book and is a big fan of "Hugo" but I've never read it before so I was kinda worry that I would not understand what it's about and not like the movie, but what the heck?! I loved it! It was very touching I wanted to cry. It was not really sad but the part when the Hugo's father dies and Hugo is taken to live with his uncle I felt really bad for him. I hope you guys will enjoy it too^^
Kid, 12 years old September 29, 2014

Yikes

Ouch. This movie is flat out weird. I had nightmares about exploding doors and creepy robots for days after I watched this film. It's sad, it's creepy, and it's disturbing. Sure, there isn't language or sex, but it deals with kid's parents dying, depression, poverty, and a whole lot of other bad stuff. This is for adults, not kids.
Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2014

Tik tik tik

Hugo is a great movie about a boy ho lives in a train station and has to fix his maching that he and his father almost finished then he needs one more piece and that mystery leads to one finding a great director from the past...
Kid, 10 years old December 11, 2011

Hugo

Its Very Good But Some Parts Are Very perilous. Sometimes Theres Funny Moments. And A few Parts Scared me.I recommend it for people Who Can Handle It. But AMAZING movie!
Kid, 10 years old December 8, 2011

hu-GO!

I love this movie it would be confusing for kids under9
Kid, 10 years old November 26, 2011

Beautiful, magical movie-- as good as the book!

The book was so perfect, I couldn't imagine the movie would be good compared to the book, but amazingly, it was beautiful! The plot was just right, the actors were great, and the whole movie through I was moved, or dazzled by the images and similarity to the book. It's a magical story, made all the more magical by having it right in front of you. I can't say I like it more than the book, but I'd definitely buy it on DVD when it comes out! Some chase scenes (Hugo is a boy living in a Paris train station, so sometimes he steals food and the station manager chases him) might be a little tense for younger kids, but any tween, teen, or grownup would love it! So, so magically beautiful! Also, the 3D is very cool and worth it. A lot of the movies for kids in theaters these days are jarring, ugly and inappropriate, but this one was rarely perfect. Five stars!
Kid, 10 years old June 28, 2014

Martin Scorseses' masterpiece.

Brilliant movie for all ages, Martin Scorsese's' first family movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFaith Andreasen March 10, 2014

Exciting Adventured of Hugo...

Hugo, is a great movie about a little boy fixing a robot with his dad, the dad later dies and Hugo, the little boy has to find a mystery key to fix what left of his dad.
Kid, 11 years old February 9, 2014

READ THIS!

Hugo is about a young boy in France Train Station. He is trying to fix his wind up robot, so he steals parts from a toy store, but the owner catches him and takes his notebook. He learns about the owner and it uncovers a big secret. the only bad parts of the movie are that his uncle drinks and some violence in a dream. The movie was made very well, because of the little things in it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byResidentEvilPotter November 27, 2011

Love It!

Amazing. Just an amazing film. There isn't really anything too bad about it. Great film. I highly recommend you see this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew November 29, 2014

Great movie for Tweens and teens

My rating:PG for language and thematic elements
Kid, 11 years old October 24, 2014

Great but complex film

Violence- 2 (Hugo's Dad killed in a fire)
Kid, 11 years old March 7, 2014

5,4,3,2,1 Hugo

Well this is what I call a five star movie. With amazing young actors. A young boy named Hugo Debraue lives in a train station changing the clocks everyday waiting for a new adventure. This movie gives an inspiring story,this movie will leave you on the edge of your seat. I think this is a great story appropriate except for one part when the uncle gets drunk from having one to many drinks. Other than that one thing this is a five star movie.
Kid, 10 years old February 10, 2014

A Sense of Wonder

Hugo has made me appreciate film making and the movies that we are able to have today. We see so much media that we are used to most anything we see, but movies have come from a lot of thinking and amazing people. Hugo demonstrates film making very well, in the story and in the scenery. Hugo is a boy that goes on great adventures to discover what his father's machine will lead him to. An old man and Hugo end up helping each other. This is truly an amazing movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhanoz February 9, 2014

Hugo - everyone matters

Hugo is an amazing movie. It had educational value, involved great role models, and puts across a great message. In this movie Hugo a, young orphan boy, goes on a adventurer to discovery that everyone matters, and that no one is a mistake. He meets two people who help him along his journey, and they too discover something new. In this movie Hugo meets a man how seems rude and mean but has a soft spot, and Hugo helps him to move past his hurt. This movie has wonderful visual effects, and great cinematography. I give it a five theater seats out of five for family friendly. But there are some scenes that might scare younger children. Over all this movie is great and I would defiantly recommend this for family movie night. If you decide to watch this movie, I hope you enjoy.
Kid, 12 years old February 9, 2014

5 oscar winning Hugo

Hugo is an amazing movie, it is about a boy who lives in a train station because his father was caught in a tragic accident. His uncle took him in and taught him to run the clocks. When his uncle dies and only has an automaton mystery to solve. He meets a girl named Isabelle and embark on a journey to discover the automaton mystery. He finds himself ending up where he started with a great moral behind it. The reason I think it should be 8 and up is because the lot is a little hard to understand for younger children, besides that, it's a great movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byrandom girl 88 February 9, 2014

good movie

Hugo is a good movie about the making of films. the message I got was that nobody is a mistake in the world. The movie has great role modals. It has a little bit of drinking but not too much. This movie is about a boy that lives in a train station, trying to fix a wind up toy that his father started then died tragically.