All member reviews for Hyde Park on Hudson

Presidential drama is well acted but short on passion.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow January 22, 2013

Best Presidential drama of all time!

This movie is achingly beautiful. It has drama, comedy, romance, character development, and some of the best performances ever put on film in my opinion. Bill Murray, in particular, is astonishing as Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the best portrayal of a president I have ever seen, period. He infuses just the right amount of humor and seriousness in a role that will certainly turn the tables for his career. Step aside, Daniel Day-Lewis, Bill Murray portrays a President in one of the most perfect performances I have ever seen in any film, ever. Laura Linney is fascinating as Daisy, who we really feel for as someone who feels on top of everything and then shot down. Samuel West and Olivia Colman are great as the King and Queen of England, with West doing a good job with portraying the nervousness and stutter of George IV, and with Colman acting as a good, supporting wife who is nervous but strong, and they have some really good chemistry together when they're onscreen. The plot is very original and inventive (I had no idea FDR was that sleazy!), and there are some very funny jokes, some really strong, touching scenes, and a brilliant script to back it all up. My only real problem with the movie is that it could have been longer; I think we could have had more time to see what Daisy was going through and what the President felt about the situation and what he was doing. But aside from that, this film is nearly pitch-perfect. It's strong, emotive, passionate, sensual (but not TOO sensual; in fact, I don't even know why it got an R rating!), funny, dramatic, and heartfelt, making it my favorite Presidential drama, as well as one of my favorite movies of all time.
Parent Written byDan G. April 12, 2013

R-rated movie essentially about adultery, and lots of it.

This movie is based on actual letters found by a distant cousin to President Franklin Roosevelt. This movie is about their adulterous affair, Eleanor's adultery with multiple men, and the adulteries of members of the President's staff. Far from a moral tale about how such activity eventually destroys marriages, children, love and life, it presents this way of living as OK, without consequences. Not the thing we want to be teaching our children.
Parent of a 17, 19, and 20 year old Written byknysnamom July 15, 2013

FDR & his mistresses

From the back of the box it sounded like a worthwhile glimpse into a crucial period in US/UK relations; this film is actually about FDR and his mistresses. I found it to be extremely disappointing and eventually, about three-quarters of the way through, I gave up watching.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew March 2, 2015

Pretty racy but ok for oldest teens

My rating:R for language throughout