All member reviews for I Am Legend

Intense, thoughtful thriller has some big scares.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion June 13, 2009

A Stellar Thriller With a Thoughtful Side...

I AM LEGEND could have been a bad movie. The people making it could have messed up in many ways. However, they turn the flaws of the story into advantages. Its biggest asset is Will Smith's powerhouse performance. The script is very well-written also. The people making this movie took a big risk. Instead of making it an all-out action thriller with mindless, constant violence, they took the story line and made it, primarily, a tragedy about one man left alone in the world (with some great action pieces on the side). Parents need to know that this movie is very intense. Even when the action lets up, the emotion doesn't, and several scenes are emotionally draining, whether by fright or sadness. I don't like to include SPOILERS! in my reviews, but for the sake of a well-informed review, I will now. SPOILER! About 50 minutes into the movie, Neville's dog, Sam, becomes infected with the virus. He must strangle her before she becomes a zombie like the rest, and, since the dog is his only companion through the movie, this scene will be too overpowering for kids under 12 at least. END OF SPOILERS. In addition to that emotional scene, there are several others detailing the death of Neville's wife and daughter (helicopter crash). There's no more violence in the movie than there is in, say, a SPIDER-MAN film, but many scenes featuring the zombies will be frightening for kids. The film has a constant feel of desperation and despair, and while I wouldn't call it disturbing, it makes the film NOT for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 14, 2011

good for tweens who can handle scary movies

What to watch out for * Messages: In the aftermath of a viral apocalypse, society has collapsed. People have become zombie-like mutants that feast on human flesh. The main character is reduced to his base nature, paranoid and on the brink. But he rises to the occasion when the time comes and makes a difficult decision for the good of mankind. * Violence: Frequent. The main character totes guns and shoots at marauding, rabid mutants who attack him with the intent to either eat him or kill him -- or both. He also accidentally stabs himself, flashes a gun at a woman and her child, and conducts experiments on feral rats and other creatures. Bridges and buildings explode, cars careen, and a loyal dog becomes collateral damage. * Sex: A married couple shares a tender kiss. * Language: Pretty mild; "d--n," "h--l," "Oh my God." * Consumerism: Premium placement for the Mustang GT500, Apple computers, iPod, and a Time magazine cover. Lots of signage left behind in New York, especially in Times Square, where billboards for Broadway shows abound, as well as hotel brands like Hyatt. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Robert downs prescription pills at a very difficult moment.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPoetic Ramblings December 20, 2010

A decent flick

Very generic movie, but the acting is fantastic. I recently saw this movie, and at 14 years old, I still found it very frightening. That said, my friend saw it at 12, and he had no problems with it. It may be a difference in gender, but I don't recommend this movie to children or tweens.
Parent Written byPlague January 11, 2010

A great movie thats not too scary. I wouldn't recommend it for any little ones, but ok for kids 11+.
Adult Written byRSS April 21, 2012

True Responsibility

I am legend is a thrilling movie about the accidental evolution of man. The cure for cancer has transformed people into super strong, wall climbing, flesh eating beast. But these super-humans are more than what they seem; they have pets, are part of a hierarchy and care for one another. Perhaps the only things that separates us from them, besides the obvious, is the control of anger. "they are always biting" states Anna as her description of them to Robert Neville. Perhaps this movie was meant for the viewer to appreciate what separates us from all other creatures on earth. I am legand is heart breaking as the Roberts dog and child are very cleverly linked to one another; making their death so much more painful to endure. This movie is thrilling, heartbreaking and even humorous at times. Although the ending may not satisfy many, in life death is a guaranteed ending to all. Robert had completed his mission, stayed at ground 0 and found a cure. Now he can rest in peace with his family.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjimmyjo55 August 28, 2011

coolio

its an awesome movie
Adult Written bythediamondd March 13, 2015

I was soooo young

I watched this when I was 4 it is easy to understand what's going on. Zombies look fake. WTF.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjohnstewart February 1, 2015

Not what I expected!

Okay, let me just say, whenever I watch a movie for the first time I always try not to watch the trailer or read what the movie is about. That's what I did with this movie last night. I'm one of those kids who never get scared by movies but man that movie was terrifying! Infected zombie-like creatures attack and jump out of nowhere. I didn't even know this movie was going to have zombies to be honest. Anyway, the movie was pretty entertaining and the acting was great! There are also some sad scenes that might upset people, especially kids. The movie does have consumerism but I don't see what's so explicit about that and why Commonsense media rates that, honestly. I rated it 3 stars because here, 4 stars don't mean "good" it means "really good" and I don't think this movie was "REALLY good" so I rated it 3 stars. Mature 14+
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmileyface February 1, 2015

thought provoking action; this movie is the stuff of legend

I love this film: it really makes you think. now for the review: swearing: only things like oh my god, hell and stuff like that, less swearing then other will smith films positive: will smith acted very well and Robert Neville (will) was a good person -------------------Spoiler------------------ but in the end he lost his life --------------------end of spoiler------------------- violence: not really any violence, just one jump when sam chases the deer into the dark. at one point will smith lands on his knife and it makes you grimace because it looks SO painful. lots of tension. Sadness: by the way this film is sad. :::::::spoilers:::::: will has to break his own dogs neck because it got bitten by a mutant zombie thing, he dies at the end but its still a happy ending kind of because he found a cure, also he's the only man alive meaning his family died :( ::::::::::::;;;end of spoilers:::::::::::::: and he experiments on rats and they look sort of in pain I guess. I loved this film. and it is NOT scary just so you know. ONE jump, although it can be quite tense. please watch if you're 12/13 up! :)
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 26, 2015

I am legend Review..

The Film itself was quite an interesting one.. The Film at times will get pretty scary.. Otherwise, A great film For ages 14 and up.. On the other hand, I wouldn’t recommend this film to younger children.. Too Scary..
Teen, 13 years old Written byedward4 October 11, 2014

Not appropriate for young teens and children

As a young teen, I almost immediately wanted to watch Will Smiths' I Am Legend. I mean, what teen doesn't want to watch a zombie action movie? I personally had to stop the movie 45 minutes in. First of all, there are LOTS of zombie pop-out scenes. Secondly, there lots of blood including one scene in which Will Smith is walking through a house full of zombies with a flashlight. In the scene, there is blood splattered all over the walls and staircase (This is a pop-out scene!). Thirdly, it may be challenging for younger children to comprehend the fact of Will Smith being one of the last survivors of a horrible plague in the world. These few reasons should show that I Am Legend may be hard for younger ages to work with, and understand.
Kid, 12 years old September 30, 2014

Very good film, very violent and provides some very good scares
Teen, 17 years old Written bySaintlyFigure007 November 30, 2013

Bleak

Great movie, but the bleakest film I have ever seen. The CGI was poor but ok. The film didn't make me feel great to be alive. This only has jump scares and not much gory violence. Good but bleak.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEric Paul September 22, 2013

Kids will get nightmares

Teen, 15 years old Written byJosh2515 September 17, 2013

pretty good!

Pretty good. nuff said
Teen, 13 years old Written byfilmfreaknatxox July 24, 2013

emotional for me

This film was so good, better than expected, to be honest I found this pretty emotional, like when they all die, i cried soo much , it was violent but personally it did not scare me at all just a little violent. Anyway a definite watch, oh it also depends on you wether you like this type of stuff for me it was a no scare but if you dont like things that jump out i'd say it was a no for you
Teen, 16 years old Written byTip yap July 17, 2013

Non scary will smith thriller still rocks

Teen, 14 years old Written byBecca583 July 1, 2013

I am Legend

this movie is very violent
Kid, 10 years old June 23, 2013

Mutants vs Will!

This is good! I just got this on blu ray at target for 7.50. I watched it and liked it. I thought some scenes were kind of scary. No people get shown eaten. Will does shoot zombies sometimes with no blood. There is no language or sex in this movie. Will is a good role model. I would not recommend this film to kids under 12
Teen, 13 years old Written bymiles12345677A. June 17, 2013

A VERY GOOD MOVIE

intense and very scary but good. some disturbing and sad scenes. also some jump-scenes.