All member reviews for I Am Number Four

Sci-fi thriller/teen romance isn't as good as the book.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviefan22 May 30, 2011

8 out of 10

Don't be fooled by this movie's trailers; this is not a rom-com! Sure, there is some romance here and there, but there is also plenty action! This movie will appeal to both genders, and that is why it sold so much. Kids 10 and younger won't understand the plot, and might be scared of the antagonists (the bad guys) in this movie. It's quite thrilling, but I do have one critique that brought this movie from a 5 to 4. The ending battle doesn't feel like the end. It's not like this movie is short or anything(1 hr 49 mins to be exact) but the ending was like the only BIG battle. It's hard to explain, but I felt that there was room for more action(not as a second movie, but just about 10-15 mins more movie). So, overall I give this movie an 8 out of 10 and I say, "See it!"
Teen, 13 years old Written byJaneEyre<3 June 9, 2011

Decent,but.......

I was disappointed,'cause I really thought it would be good, and it wasn't that the acting was bad,but the dialogue was really lame. It would have been soooo much better if they had worked a little on the dialogue. The language wasn't too bad, as long as you know not to repeat it, and the violence wasn't terrible,except for one part with the Mogs. I liked John ,cause he stayed behind to protect Sarah, and Sam, just cause he was the one who was picked on the most by Mark. I think the appearance of Number 6 was cool. Overall 5/10 stars. Watch it if you like sc-fi. But don't expect it to be the best movie ever.(And don't take me wrong by my username,I LOVE action and sci-fi and drama! and adventure)
Adult Written bykhan2705 June 7, 2011

another silly sci fi romantic flick which is dull but last act is fun.

Three are dead. He is Number Four. D.J. Caruso ("Eagle Eye," "Disturbia") helms an action-packed thriller about an extraordinary young man, John Smith (Alex Pettyfer), who is a fugitive on the run from ruthless enemies sent to destroy him. Changing his identity, moving from town to town with his guardian Henri (Timothy Olyphant), John is always the new kid with no ties to his past. In the small Ohio town he now calls home, John encounters unexpected, life-changing events-his first love (Dianna Agron), powerful new abilities and a connection to the others who share his incredible destiny. John (Alex Pettyfer) is an extraordinary young man, masking his true identity and passing as a typical student to elude a deadly enemy seeking to destroy him. Three like him have already been killed...he is Number Four. Based on the book by Pittacus Lore. well another Sci-Fi teen romance flick, it was on my NOT INTERESTED list but there wasn't anything else to do in my boring summer holidays so i saw it on TV. i must be honest the movie is pretty below average and dull the whole time but it gets superbly thrilling towards the end and thats is why i gave it extra half star. screenplay has some big issues which my friends is a nowadays problem with every single movie, why can't they concentrate on the writing instead of the visuals? story was not that interesting but still acceptable, i am still a teen, come on i really get effected and charmed by the whole Teen romance thing. editing was awful. Directed by D.J. Caruso who's Disturbia was above average to me but Eagle Eyes was something i enjoyed watching. he likes this teen sci fi or teen thrillers i think. but his direction in this movie is very bad. the special effects were really below average, not impressed by them. it had few action scenes but nice one. the ending big finale was the only thing i actually enjoyed watching. that is what was thrilling and suspenseful and pretty entertaining. about the casting thing. i liked the whole good looks and charms of Alex Pettyfer but he can't act well. as much as i am a die hard fan of GLEE, i don't like Dianna Agron looks or her acting skills she looks good in the Cheerleader costumes though. other actors include Timothy Olyphant, Teresa Palmer, Callan McAuliffe , Kevin Durand , Jake Abel. ofcourse bad performances are something you will expect from it. this movie is another teen sci fi romantic flick which i am getting so sicked of right now. it has that Twilight charm to it but far worst than it. it was an experiment wen't wrong. honestly if you wan't to have a good time you might see it but you will have to wait for the ending to actually have that real fun. very dull movie i didn't liked it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytwilightfan2459 April 17, 2011

alright movie werent the best though specially cus everyone was speaking so i wud like to watch it at home so tht erveryone can be silent unlike last time grr but it was good and the acting was pretty good now to read the book.....
Teen, 15 years old Written byqazquiz March 31, 2011

lol
Parent Written byParent of 7,9,14 February 17, 2012

I am number four

very easy film hardly anything bad nothing to be scared of but you might want to talk to your kids about why this is happening
Teen, 13 years old Written byiluvmoviesnbooks March 12, 2011

=] Yeah its a PG-13 MOVIE! Thats WHY theres violence, teen language and A TAD of sexuallity Big Whoop!

Well duh there's gonna be violence and a little romance too cause it IS A PG-13 MOVIE! Its really good and you should read the book because its better than the movie and then you can compare the two.
Parent Written byparent of 6,10 February 17, 2012

I am number four

BESIDES VIOLENCE THIS MOVIE REALLY IS NOT BAD A AWESOME ALIEN invasion that might be... ok this movie is off from 1 to 4 pause for 5 to 6 and perfect for ages 7 and up
Adult Written by13 year old kid November 1, 2011

7th grader response to the movie

This movie is just fine as long as everyone knows this isn't real that being said this is one of my favorite movies and to watch this you should realize that kids shoud make there own boundries instead of mom or dad making there guidelines 6th grade and up is my suggestion there is no sexual behavior the chacters are pretty friendly and the violance isn't very heavy maybe one or two schenes ayone can see this as long as thy're A. mature B. understanding its not real and C. have common sence
Teen, 17 years old Written byUgli Chic August 25, 2011

This movie says, "I Am Number One"

I love superhero movies, and this was a new twist on the usual story. A young man, who is an alien from a different galaxy, is sent with 6 or 7 aliens to Earth because an old enemy has taken over their planetary system. They try to blend in, because they look like humans, but it is not easy as their superpowers start to manifest themselves. I loved the special effects used; amazing scenes. There is the usual superhero violence, good guys vs. bad guys, etc. Some dark scenes, and the ugliness of the bad guys, may be frightening to younger people. A few uses of d---, a--h---, and hell. Teenage bullying in high school is portrayed, and some drinking between high schoolers, but nothing graphic. Good lessons about standing by your friends. This would be a good family film, minus the few swear words :) ~Ugli Chic
Kid, 12 years old July 2, 2011

Good, But Dog Gets Hurt

great but sad
Kid, 11 years old June 7, 2011

Not too mad but maybe....

Really great book AND movie. The main part of this movie is the violence.
Kid, 11 years old April 6, 2011

I am number 4 is a great movie...for tweens. I was surprised that there really weren't that many "bad" parts. However, there was a lot of violence and I think some kids under 11 might not understand some parts of it! This would be ok for a mature 10 year old. But, as always, it's the parents choice and I would reccomend seeing this movie before your child.
Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2011

I thought this was a really fun movie. The action was cool. It wasn't perfect though.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bySimonsnickers February 21, 2011

Okay for older 13 year olds - no younger

I felt pretty comfortable seeing this film with my 13-1/2 year-old daughter. Lots of violence, but it was mostly "cartoony." There were only two flinchworthy moments of violence - one when a character inserts a spinning globe of blades into another's mouth (the camera cuts away, but pretty obvious what's happened to the victim) and another scene where you see a floor cleaning machine running idle in a pool of blood. So I would definitely reserve this for "older" 13 year olds and use your best judgement. It's really not any scarier than some of the later Harry Potter movies. My husband and I both thought the film overall was very entertaining and the characters were very good. Language was no saltier than what's heard every day most middle school hallways. Kissing scenes were pretty passionate (open mouths and all) and that in combination with some of the gorier scenes is why I say take older 13 year olds to this movie - no younger.
Parent Written byanld January 28, 2011

best ever

perfect if you read book
Parent Written byfaya1 March 27, 2015

Disturbing Torture Scene

My sixth grader and his friends love this book series, ( Scholastic book club sells these books) so when my son asked to rent the movie I agreed. Huge mistake! It is rated PG 13, but the violence, and torture in this movie is shocking and disturbing. I am 38 years old and couldn't watch some of the scenes. Why is it necessary to include a horrific torture scene that isn't even in the book? What is wrong with our culture that we are okay with this?
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew February 12, 2015

Slick looking teen romance isn't good for younger kids at all

My rating: PG-13 for violence and sexuality
Kid, 10 years old January 13, 2015

A Good Movie

Very Good but can get slightly scary at times. Some colourful language like A--hole and S--t. But not too scary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHorselover117 November 12, 2013