All member reviews for Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

3-D sequel is fun but also more intense than past films.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byLB2010 June 17, 2010

Not my favorite

I didn't like it when I took my 5yr old to see it. The T-Rex was scary. The jokes and innuendo about homosexuality were un-funny. The language was not cool. But the thing I hated most was the implication about adoption. My daughter, who I adopted as a baby, saw Sid's "adoption" of the 3 baby t-rexes as "stealing from the mama" - which in fact is how the movie portrayed it. The baby dinos, however attached they became to Sid, were not supposed to be with him. They think Sid is their mama and we're supposed to laugh about that. Meanwhile their mom is furious, and we're supposed to laugh about Sid's peril - well, he stole away her babies after all. What was the movie saying about adoption? Anything? Well, this adoptive mom and her 5yr old daughter got some confusing messages from it.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byachilleseffect July 10, 2009

Extreme Gender Bias

My problem with this movie lies in the gender stereotypes it perpetuates. First, there are too few female characters. Second, the ones that are present are highly stereotypical. The female squirrel uses her feminine wiles to manipulate the male. Ultimately, she is rescued by him and, of course, falls in love. Once the two are "married" she turns into a bossy shrew and he longs for escape. Terrible messages all around. Then there is Ellie. I see that other people consider her a strong role model, and in many ways she is. She is brave and courageous. Yet she is held back from rescuing Sid the Sloth because she is having a baby. How convenient that the baby comes just as they are about to go on the most dangerous part of their mission, which keeps her out of the hero role - a situation that is all too common for female characters in kids' movies. What kind of message does this movie send about women? They are either manipulative vamps or beatific mothers who are strong enough to bear children but not qualified to be rescuers. On the male side, we have other stereotypes, namely the idea that men cannot talk about their feelings. Manny is very uncomfortable admitting how he feels about his friends. Ultimately he is shown to be wrong in this belief, but his discomfort never quite goes away. Very unfortunate. This film was funny and had lots of action, but it sends entirely the wrong message about gender.
Adult Written bydkrdm July 24, 2009
I took my kids 4 and 8. Both loved it, and it was fun. We all enjoyed the new character "Buck". I'm disappointed in some of the sexual humor in the movie -- why must they include that? In addition to stuff already referenced here there is a scene where Mannie and Diego are being digested by a carnivorus plant. As the digestive juices rise, Diego says "oh, I'm all tingly" to which Mannie replies "don't say that when you are pressed up against me". Another reference later about a character "coming out". I'm sure most kids don't get the references, but they were just really unnecessary. The overall message was good. Sometimes families change (i.e. the introduction of a baby changes a lot), but in the end families (or the pack) stick together . . . and a family can come in many non-traditional forms. I also liked Sid's "mothering" of the dino eggs. Cute and sweet. Overall a good movie, just annoyed about the unnecessary sexual humor.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byerinmort December 16, 2009

fine if they already know the birds and bees

my only concern with this movie was the discussion of giving birth and contractions. my daughter is young enough that those words dont mean anything yet. but in kids a little older it might raise questions you werent ready for yet.
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2012

lol funny :) :D ;) XD

i watch it it was funny :) with the high pitch humor and slapstick humor
Kid, 10 years old May 18, 2010

well...language

well some swearing also buck said a few nasty things
Teen, 16 years old Written byBreaden Hoffmaster June 29, 2016

"The name's Buck!" - Buck

(So far) this is by far the best film in the "Ice Age Saga". It's unbelievably funny, and will have you crying from laughter. The story is well-writtten, and is enjoyable for the whole family....execpt for the inudenos and references to certain male body-parts. "The good stuff" is said, as well as "That's it's tail Sid" etc. It will go over kid's heads, but it is the only problem of the film. The rest is non-stop humor, and heart-felt characters interacting with one another
Teen, 13 years old Written byedelman100 January 16, 2016

Great family flick

Ice age has always been an enjoyable family comedy, has mature themes though. Violence: The dinosaurs may frighten little ones, Buck says he lost an eye to the T. rex at one point, there are some points at in which the main characters almost die, but they survive the entire movie. Sex: Some innuendos that may go over younger children's heads, but adults will definitely get the references, Sid mistakes a bull for a female when he tries to milk it, Manny and Ellie are now mates, they are very sweet with each other, Ellie is also expecting a baby, and at the end of the movie, she is heard giving birth to Peaches. Language: Insults are mostly the only language in the entire movie, consisting of barf, poop, stupid,etc. Consumerism: Not applicable, although many product tie-ins with the Ice age franchise. Drinking: not an issue. I love this movie, I always used to watch it when I was a little. I would recommend this movie ages 7 and up.
Adult Written byBan Moy June 13, 2015

Fun sequel has more edge than original.

Parents need to know that this sequel has more edge than the first two. Positive messages: 4/5 The film shows the importance of staying together as a family. Role models: 2/5 Manny is annoyed by Sid often and shows it. Violence: 3/5 Several intense action scenes. Sex: 2/5 Occasional innuendo. Drugs: 0/5 None Consumerism: 0/5 None Off for ages 3 and under, Pause for ages 4-6, On for ages 7+
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2015

The best of the Ice Age franchise!

I remember myself seeing this when I was 5. All I did in the movie was laugh and enjoy. I doubt that there is language (unlike the second one), but the dinosaurs may scare small kids. It's a bit frightening in two scenes (when I was 5, I wasn't scared of them). Overall, funny movie, because the humor makes sense and the role models are great.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn July 27, 2013

Don't like.....

Not that much.....In my opinion.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypersonperson May 3, 2013

Some off material, but a good flick

Parents need to know that a lot of the humor in this movie will zoom right past the kids heads. Innuendo is frequent, and some of the insults are a bit raunchy. However, the children will like the cartoony slapstick, the character of Buck, and some of the humor will result in giggles. Some of the action is scary, and there is one perilous scene where a character starts giving birth while raptors surround her, and the primary antagonist is not played for laughs, and may intimidate smaller viewers. Overall, while the story is pale and some laughs are flat, there is a lot kids and teens can enjoy.
Teen, 16 years old Written byndrwcd November 17, 2012

2nd best animated film for 2009

this is my 2nd favorite film in the ice age series behind the first ice age and also the funniest chracter in the movie is buck the one -eyed weasel
Parent Written byImSpidey2 July 26, 2012

Not bad!

In my opinion, this is the worst Ice Age sequel. But that doesn't mean I think it's bad. A lot of kids love dinosaurs, but you have to be careful about the violence. I bet they'll love Buck...he's hilarious!
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. July 20, 2012

Terrible, and just plain annoying.

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 21, 2012

Really good!

Better than the second Ice Age, but still not as good as the first.
Kid, 11 years old May 8, 2012

Good

Yes, it's better than Furry Vengance, an already OK movie. Is it an instant classic or as good as Phineas and Ferb? No way! I'm going to say it's great, not awesome. It has nice role-models, a surprising amount of messages for this type of film, but a large amount of scary sequences with the bad guy dino, Rudy.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 April 15, 2012

yet another irratating, putrid attempt and making people laugh

this is yet another installment in the dragged-out, bland, unfunny, and tiring CGI animated franhise. dont bother seeing this.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymrbookworm01 February 6, 2012

Good movie, but too intense for younger viewers

I have the DVD of this movie and it's really good. It has some cartoonish violence and peril that might be intense for the younger viewers, but it's still a good movie and has positive messages about the importance of family, teamwork, and bravery. Violence: Some cartoonish violence (mostly from Scrat as he tries to get his acorn) and peril (mostly when the gang is in the dinosaur world) There are many close calls (Ex. When Sid almost goes down a lava waterfall, or when Diego and Manny are almost eaten by a plant). Some dinosaurs can be frightening to younger kids, especially Rudy. But nobody gets seriously hurt (other than Buck's mentioning of losing of an eye to a dinosaur) and nothing graphic is shown. Sex: Scrat falls in love with a female squirrel and they hug and kiss, as do Manny and Ellie. Ellie gives birth, but it's done offscreen. Some mild sexual innduendo (Ex. Manny: I have a tingling sensation Diego: Don't say that when you're pressed so close to me. Sid: (after Ellie gives birth) It's a boy! Diego: That's it's tail.) Consumerism: Part of the popular Ice Age series, which has many merchandise for sale.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOfficial Critic January 27, 2012

3-D use is superb, but the jokes are old

MOVIE INFO: It's not perfect, but it's not a disaster either. There's still quite a lot of funny scenes, but it just seems like it's been used over and over again. There are some good use of 3-D though. VIOLENCE: Low-Medium. Some action, chases and fights. No graphical/bloody scenes. LANGUAGE: None. SEX: None.