Sweet, inspiring story tween girls will love.

Parent Written byRob79 March 22, 2009

Sends the WRONG message to our smart girls!

This movie is pretty innocuous on the surface, but the message is incredibly wrong for this era's young people. A very intelligent girl - highly gifted in math and science - is portrayed as making a good choice to pursue a VERY unrealistic dream of ice skating, mostly to flaunt what is percieved as her mother's dream that she go to Harvard. While some parents may be trying to fulfill their own dreams, most are just trying to get their children to make good and wise life choices about what the future really holds. This movie would otherwise be OK, but the message is all wrong for our smart young girls.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byMom of 3 Girlz February 19, 2013

Not quite for seven year olds

I think common sense missed the boat on this one. Girl lies to mom about going to a party, uses the mousy unpopular girl as her cover story. Not a 7 year old story line. Other girl lies to mom about what she does after school. Moms act irresponsibly. Ok, it's a movie. But I don't think 7 year olds quite get the fine lines and gray areas these characters cross. Also, the whole let's throw away our brilliant mind & hard work to chase our out-of-nowhere incredible skating talent is an uninspiring plot line.
Kid, 8 years old November 9, 2009

its great

This movie is great, I loved it! I think that girls 7-14 will think it is cool.
Parent of a 7 and 18+ year old Written byMidwestMom September 4, 2009

Lots to talk about....

I too really disliked the ultimate message of this movie...Not that all movies have to tow the line and be Politically Correct.. But it really would have been fabulous to have had a smart and beautiful protagonist who majors in physics at Harvard AND ice skates. There are just so very few positive images and role models in the media for girls. What if you don't want to be a rock/pop/movie/webcast star, a star athlete or a model??? I feel as though I spend major amounts of my time trying to counter the Disney and Cartoon Network images of girls and women...and we don't really watch much TV at all!
Teen, 14 years old Written byxtorix90210x November 1, 2010
i love this movie, & i saw it when i was about 10. Casey is a really good role model- smart, pretty, and hard-working. it shows that you can live your life the way YOU want to, and no one should stop that.
Teen, 13 years old Written byj♥j♥f♥ July 28, 2011

Cute and inspiring, but very unrealistic

Overall, "Ice Princess" was a good movie. There were many positive messages and scenes; for example, when Casey persevered through all those figure skating obstacles and overcame them all. However, some parts were completely unrealistic; for example, Casey was barely able to perform a decent toe-loop jump, but then suddenly, she "accidentally" landed a double toe-loop. I have been figure skating for about 8 1/2 years and am currently working on my double jumps; believe me, that is impossible. I'm sure even Kim Yu-Na or Michelle Kwan could not have done that.
Teen, 14 years old Written byshanno15 May 11, 2010

Disney done somthing right with this movie

My favorite disney movie! Great pace, awesome acting, good story.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 2, 2009

shallow.

I have to say, the plot is not that interesting. The ice-skating scenes are not that good, and the acting is second-rate.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypepsicola147 April 9, 2008

Oh my gosh...

This movie was insanely... Disney. If you want a totally child-safe movie, this is it. I personally didn't like it, but the worst part is probably the main character fighting with her mom. Definitely a go if you want a movie for the young kids.
Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2009

OK

This movie is very good. It is a wonderful story about a girl who dreams of being an ice skatter. But her mom wants her to go to harvard. So the girl does everything she can to follow her own dream and not someone elses. Although there is some mild iffy stuff like some use of the word "stupid" or "you look hot!" and some kissing between teens. Also for vilonce there is about a 3 second shot of a very painful looking injury. Besides these very little things it's OK!
Kid, 12 years old November 9, 2009

GREAT

This movie is pritty good girls ages 7-13 or 14 are going to love it!!!! i know i did!!!!!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byzaneybraney12 April 9, 2008

I Fell Asleep!!

This movie is so little kids. I litteraly fell asleep!! They should try harder for a different plot. But some parts were good.
Adult Written bypegzhere April 9, 2008

Very cute!

Very cute movie! I was pleasantly surprised that there was some variation to the normal "tweenie" formula. My only problem was with loose usage of the words "stupid" and "idiot". Also the very last scene sort of does a 180 on the message the movie pretty successfully gave. But what kid is actually watching at that point? The climax of the movie was already over. Also there could have been more skating scenes to keep it from getting a bit slow in parts - who doesn't like those?
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Perfect Mom/Daugher Outing

My 8 year old loved this as did the 11 year old girl who came with us.
Adult Written bypiggyslp April 9, 2008

Very Inspiring for young dreamers.

I was impressed with this teen that uses her academic skills to follow her dreams. Her respect for her mother was obvious even in the face of disagreement. A must see for any parent to remember our children's dreams are not those we would choose, but are just as important. Wonderful actors and actresses all around. Team building and supportive. A must buy for home library.
Adult Written bylorlinhail April 9, 2008

Sweet story kids and moms will enjoy

Teen, 13 years old Written bysunflowerscatsbooks April 9, 2008

very cute and touching

This movie has a great message about following your dreams. It is a great movie for younger girls and their mothers.
Adult Written byicebluejanuary April 9, 2008
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

A movie about reaching for the stars

This movie is realy good you will love it.It is about a girl named casey who is the teachers pet.But she gets assigned a science project and decides to do ice skating.your sure to love this movie.Buy it on dvd its sure to be one of your favorite movies.Have fun.