All member reviews for Ice Princess

Sweet, inspiring story tween girls will love.

Kid, 8 years old November 9, 2009

its great

This movie is great, I loved it! I think that girls 7-14 will think it is cool.
Parent Written byRob79 March 22, 2009

Sends the WRONG message to our smart girls!

This movie is pretty innocuous on the surface, but the message is incredibly wrong for this era's young people. A very intelligent girl - highly gifted in math and science - is portrayed as making a good choice to pursue a VERY unrealistic dream of ice skating, mostly to flaunt what is percieved as her mother's dream that she go to Harvard. While some parents may be trying to fulfill their own dreams, most are just trying to get their children to make good and wise life choices about what the future really holds. This movie would otherwise be OK, but the message is all wrong for our smart young girls.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byMom of 3 Girlz February 19, 2013

Not quite for seven year olds

I think common sense missed the boat on this one. Girl lies to mom about going to a party, uses the mousy unpopular girl as her cover story. Not a 7 year old story line. Other girl lies to mom about what she does after school. Moms act irresponsibly. Ok, it's a movie. But I don't think 7 year olds quite get the fine lines and gray areas these characters cross. Also, the whole let's throw away our brilliant mind & hard work to chase our out-of-nowhere incredible skating talent is an uninspiring plot line.
Parent of a 7 and 18 year old Written byMidwestMom September 4, 2009

Lots to talk about....

I too really disliked the ultimate message of this movie...Not that all movies have to tow the line and be Politically Correct.. But it really would have been fabulous to have had a smart and beautiful protagonist who majors in physics at Harvard AND ice skates. There are just so very few positive images and role models in the media for girls. What if you don't want to be a rock/pop/movie/webcast star, a star athlete or a model??? I feel as though I spend major amounts of my time trying to counter the Disney and Cartoon Network images of girls and women...and we don't really watch much TV at all!
Teen, 13 years old Written byj♥j♥f♥ July 28, 2011

Cute and inspiring, but very unrealistic

Overall, "Ice Princess" was a good movie. There were many positive messages and scenes; for example, when Casey persevered through all those figure skating obstacles and overcame them all. However, some parts were completely unrealistic; for example, Casey was barely able to perform a decent toe-loop jump, but then suddenly, she "accidentally" landed a double toe-loop. I have been figure skating for about 8 1/2 years and am currently working on my double jumps; believe me, that is impossible. I'm sure even Kim Yu-Na or Michelle Kwan could not have done that.
Teen, 14 years old Written byxtorix90210x November 1, 2010

i love this movie, & i saw it when i was about 10. Casey is a really good role model- smart, pretty, and hard-working. it shows that you can live your life the way YOU want to, and no one should stop that.
Teen, 14 years old Written byshanno15 May 11, 2010

Disney done somthing right with this movie

My favorite disney movie! Great pace, awesome acting, good story.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 2, 2009

shallow.

I have to say, the plot is not that interesting. The ice-skating scenes are not that good, and the acting is second-rate.
Teen, 14 years old Written byzaneybraney12 April 9, 2008

I Fell Asleep!!

This movie is so little kids. I litteraly fell asleep!! They should try harder for a different plot. But some parts were good.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypepsicola147 April 9, 2008

Oh my gosh...

This movie was insanely... Disney. If you want a totally child-safe movie, this is it. I personally didn't like it, but the worst part is probably the main character fighting with her mom. Definitely a go if you want a movie for the young kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysunflowerscatsbooks April 9, 2008

very cute and touching

This movie has a great message about following your dreams. It is a great movie for younger girls and their mothers.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Ice Princess

This movie is great except sometimes they say the word butt. Your daughter will love love love this movie!!!!!
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 3, 2015

Great Mother-Daughter Date Movie With a Few Slick Spots

Casey Carlisle is an eighteen-year-old "mathlete" with a latent passion for skating. Challenged to complete a "personal science project" to win a physics scholarship, she unites her physics talent with her appreciation for figure skating and reaps unexpected results. The more she discovers her skating abilities, the more she is challenged both physically and emotionally, which provides great character growth. She makes true friends of some skater schoolmates who previously saw her only as a geek, and maintains her identity and self-worth in the world of a sport that tries to tear it down. Casey's newfound desire to skate puts a rift between her and her mom, but Casey does her best to treat Mom with love and respect throughout, and the rift is eventually repaired. A sweet romance between Casey and her skating coach's son round out this lovely story. The biggest caveat comes in the form of Tina Harwood, owner of the local skating club and Casey's eventual coach. She's manipulative and scheming; one of her underhanded ploys gets Casey's feet severely injured. Tina never apologizes for any of this, nor does Casey expect her to--it's seen as normal behavior for the sport. Speaking of which, most parents put a lot of undue pressure on their children to win competitions. One dad even says his daughter is only worth his working two jobs if she wins. That's an extremely negative message parents would do well to discuss. It's also worth noting that throughout the story, Casey is presented with skating as an either-or option--she can either be a skater *or* an intelligent woman whose career has a "shelf life." Casey is a good role model because of her kindness, intelligence, and fortitude, but parents need to make clear to their daughters that they can be all those things without giving up what they love. Other minor caveats include what may or may not be drinking at a teen party (beverages served in opaque cups) and catty behavior from skaters in the interest of winning competitions.
Kid, 9 years old January 1, 2014

Wowed my Expectations

The first time I watched this movie was when I was in the plane going to Los Angeles and when I saw it, I didn't want to watch it since it said ''Princess'' in it but I watched it anyways and it was way better then I thought.
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2013

Good for Younger Kids

Okay movie, just kind of boring as it was extremely slow-paced. My nine year old sister loved it though, so I guess younger kids would enjoy.
Educator Written bycaffinegirl85 January 10, 2012

nice!

i thought it was sweet and yet insipiring a truly nice movie
Kid, 10 years old January 2, 2012

Ice Lover

Polite, squeaky clean movie fine for all ages but should have more interesting parts!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byemily101998 May 21, 2011

An Average Movie

Its a pretty good movie, kinda average.The lead actress Michelle acts really badly in it, but Hayden Pattenerie acts phenomenally well along with Joan Cusack!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byshya August 1, 2010

Kid, 12 years old July 7, 2010

a sweet and enchanting movie for preteen girls.

The story of Ice Princess is a story based on a girl who wants to achieve her dream of becoming an ice skater with out disappointing her own mother, in which though out the drama must she make a choice that could her life's course: Harvard and a mothers pride or Ice Skating and fame? The movie of Ice Princess teaches many girls on how important it is to follow your dreams and to make your own choices and it teaches mothers and fathers to not project their dreams on their daughters and sons in which I believe is important to learn. A great movie, sweet and enchanting for preteen girls like me.