All member reviews for Idiocracy

Vulgar satire manages to be both stupid and smart.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySynchronicity January 21, 2010

Underrated and funny satire by none other than Mike Judge

In the year 2505, a perfectly average man from the army that was frozen in an experiment from 2005 learns that...human society has dwindled down to the lowest level there possibly is. In this world, the most popular TV show is "Ow! My B*lls", a movie aptly titled "A**" swept the Oscars, Costco is a mini-city, and the president is named Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho. Not to mention, the man from the army, and his cohort, a prostitute named Rita, are now the smartest people in the world. This biting satire is also a cautionary tale about how mindless programming and commercialism will eventually turn the world into a mass Idiocracy. (I was being sarcastic.) Think Harrison Bergeron meets Wall-E (but not in space) and you're not too far off. In terms of content, this is probably fine for most young teens and older. There's a lot of slapstick violence, such as an impeachment trial becoming a monster truck deathmatch. But the reason Idiocracy got an R rating is because of the f-bombs (there were about 10 or 11). There are also some sexual references; for one thing, Rita's a prostitute. Also, we see some of the Academy Award winning movie (in the time period) called "A**", which, of course, is just a static shot of a bare butt. We see this go on for about 3 seconds. There's more innuendo, but it's about as bad as Mike Judge's other movies and TV shows. As can be expected, there's a lot of product placement, including Carl's Jr., Lexus, Mountain Dew, Crocs, Fritos, Velveeta, Starbucks, Fuddruckers, and H&R Block. But it's not all needless - there's clearly a point to all of the product placement. Overall, Idiocracy was pretty good, and if you're a Mike Judge fan, it's required viewing.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydicapriofreak94 September 13, 2010
Definitely a lot of sexual content, and language. Funny and interesting movie, but might be inappropiate for younger people.
Kid, 10 years old October 17, 2009

I just don't get it.

Okay, yeah, sure. It swears and they have lots of inipropraiate, (I don't care if i spelled that wrong), things but still. you really think after watching that movie your kids will start swearing and stuff? Think about it. Though it kind off depends on your kid, lol. I suggest that you watch the movie and listen to every single detail and then maybe you'll let you kids watch it! I watched the one on comedy central and I'm 10 actually I think I was 9 when I watched it for the first time and they blocked out some of the bad words except a--, and whr-e and maybe one or too more so yeah. Also the thing where the guy gets hit in the "lower area" is so funny god lol.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymauriciob1 January 13, 2016

Deeper than it seems

It is a great movie to start the following discussions: * are we getting dumber? * are we getting shallower? * what motivates our political choices (or, why was camacho elected)? * do we truly understand the technology around us? (but it has electrolytes!!) * are tv shows getting better? (are we going towards "man getting kicked..."?) Surprisingly few movies raise these questions and even though this is mostly a visual comedy, bits from this movie will stay with grown ups for a long time. Not for young kids but older teens might understand the subtle messages behind all the fart jokes.
Adult Written byAlmost Normal July 31, 2012

Some great movies are just not for kids.

This is one of the funniest movies of all time, because it feels like it could really happen. But it's not for kids. There is some cursing (but not as much as many other films with the same rating), and sexual things are discussed and implied (but fortunately never shown on screen). It's just some dark humor about stupid people. We've all thought deep down at some point that the "wrong" people are having all the kids. This takes that premise and runs with it; all of the educated people are putting off having kids sometimes until it's too late, and the trailer trash breed like rabbits, resulting in a collapsed society where no one knows how to deal with basic problems anymore. It's kind of related to a science fiction work called "The Marching Morons." Again, I wouldn't show it to kids, but your adult friends will think this is hilarious while at the same time fearing for humanity.
Teen, 14 years old Written byReviewer X1 October 7, 2009

"I was somewhat disappointed"...

when I read this movies plot I thought it had promise. Was I horribly mistaken? No, it did have potential. But it didn't use in the best ways. It got boring and crazy at the same time. If you're an adult,give this movie a chance. your kids might get bored.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byCattail March 12, 2010

For mature kids that understand evolution ( and popular culture) enough to joke about it

My 7th grade student covered evolution this year. This movie proposes the posibility that natural selection may be redifined for our species since we are the top of the food chain and exert such controll of our environment. And the proposition is a silly and sad statement about the social selection that we have created in our society. What if the stupid inherit the earth?
Teen, 15 years old Written byNvG Nick November 29, 2015

Idiocracy Review

A fantastic movie. It's a shame nobody saw this film because it's one of the best.