All member reviews for Idiocracy

Teen, 16 years old Written bySynchronicity January 21, 2010

Underrated and funny satire by none other than Mike Judge

In the year 2505, a perfectly average man from the army that was frozen in an experiment from 2005 learns that...human society has dwindled down to the lowest level there possibly is. In this world, the most popular TV show is "Ow! My B*lls", a movie aptly titled "A**" swept the Oscars, Costco is a mini-city, and the president is named Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho. Not to mention, the man from the army, and his cohort, a prostitute named Rita, are now the smartest people in the world. This biting satire is also a cautionary tale about how mindless programming and commercialism will eventually turn the world into a mass Idiocracy. (I was being sarcastic.) Think Harrison Bergeron meets Wall-E (but not in space) and you're not too far off. In terms of content, this is probably fine for most young teens and older. There's a lot of slapstick violence, such as an impeachment trial becoming a monster truck deathmatch. But the reason Idiocracy got an R rating is because of the f-bombs (there were about 10 or 11). There are also some sexual references; for one thing, Rita's a prostitute. Also, we see some of the Academy Award winning movie (in the time period) called "A**", which, of course, is just a static shot of a bare butt. We see this go on for about 3 seconds. There's more innuendo, but it's about as bad as Mike Judge's other movies and TV shows. As can be expected, there's a lot of product placement, including Carl's Jr., Lexus, Mountain Dew, Crocs, Fritos, Velveeta, Starbucks, Fuddruckers, and H&R Block. But it's not all needless - there's clearly a point to all of the product placement. Overall, Idiocracy was pretty good, and if you're a Mike Judge fan, it's required viewing.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydicapriofreak94 September 13, 2010

Definitely a lot of sexual content, and language. Funny and interesting movie, but might be inappropiate for younger people.
Kid, 10 years old October 17, 2009

I just don't get it.

Okay, yeah, sure. It swears and they have lots of inipropraiate, (I don't care if i spelled that wrong), things but still. you really think after watching that movie your kids will start swearing and stuff? Think about it. Though it kind off depends on your kid, lol. I suggest that you watch the movie and listen to every single detail and then maybe you'll let you kids watch it! I watched the one on comedy central and I'm 10 actually I think I was 9 when I watched it for the first time and they blocked out some of the bad words except a--, and whr-e and maybe one or too more so yeah. Also the thing where the guy gets hit in the "lower area" is so funny god lol.
Teen, 14 years old Written byReviewer X1 October 7, 2009

"I was somewhat disappointed"...

when I read this movies plot I thought it had promise. Was I horribly mistaken? No, it did have potential. But it didn't use in the best ways. It got boring and crazy at the same time. If you're an adult,give this movie a chance. your kids might get bored.