Nonstop over-the-top fun for teens and up.

Parent Written bymrsmollyj March 16, 2011

Action hero type of movie. I think my kid can handle it.

I watched this movie and wondered if my 9 year old could see it. It's very human motivating. There are some obvious curse words but ones I think my 9 year old understands is "adult language". My true concern is that it's scary. Lots of people die but off screen like in an okay action movie. But it is human motivating. We beat the bad guys by uniting the world and joining together.
Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2010

America's Popcorn Flick

From the first minute of viewing, I implore you to set your brain to power-saving mode; if you initiate any sentient thought, or thought in general, as to the validity of the plot, characters, setting, or any detail of this movie, you will find yourself monumentally disappointed with why and what you spent at the cinema. This is a popcorn flick, pure and simple. It is meant for those that choose to enjoy explosions for the sake of explosions, and fighting for the sake of wiping out an alien race within two days of their arrival, which is completely realistic, if you don't think about it. Have fun!
Kid, 10 years old March 9, 2010
Not to realistic(I've seen to much new movies). Good movie tho.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion May 30, 2009

Fun, But NOT for Kids...

INDEPENDENCE DAY is corny, unrealistic, and completely far-fetched. It's also fun and exciting, but not for kids. The film is very violent, and there are some disturbing sequences where whole cities are wiped out (one particular scene, where everyone fleeing a city is consumed by a fiery explosion is too intense for kids). In addition, ships are exploded, aliens and people are zapped with lasers and missles, and there's one frightening scene where a scary alien kills everyone in a lab, then takes possession of one man and makes him speak the alien's thoughts. Sex is iffy too, with some subtle innuendos, a man obsessed with sexual abuse by aliens, and a brief shot of a stripper theater (no nudity, but extremely scanty clothes). A boy tries to get his girlfriend to have sex with him by saying "this might be our last night on Earth. You don't want to die a virgin, do you?" Her brother snatches her away before anything happens. Language is some "a*s"s, several "SOB"s and "s**t"s, and numerous "d**n"s and "h*ll"s.
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byjrenee56 May 23, 2009

Global Swarming gives new meaning to July 4th

It took many heroes to save the world in this movie, and some of them were unlikely heroes that ranged from the President of the United States to a delusional alcoholic crop duster living in a trailer with his kids in New Mexico. There were several relationship sub-plots and twists in the movie including the father who thought his son was a cable TV repairman when he was really an MIT graduate working as a satellite technician for the cable company. The aliens (both living and preserved) did not look cheesy. The simulated disaster footage lacked realism by today's standards but still got its point across. This was a story on a global scale - an extrememly ambitious undertaking - but I think they pulled it off!
Parent Written byerinw2 October 20, 2014
Adult Written bybdh July 3, 2011

fun campy movie

fun movie
Adult Written byTracerBullet June 3, 2010

e.g. PeThe Quintessential moronic summer blockbuster, but don't try and be cool and admirfect for older kids, but not for tweens

And seriously is it really that bad? Here is an action film that makes you wait an hour before the action kicks in and spends that time setting up characters. This should be applauded, not ridiculed. And when the action does come, the effects look a little dated now, but it is still thrilling stuff. The 8 year old inside me thinks this film is great and I'm still willing to go along with his excitement. Content: Violence mostly - cities are levelled, protracted dogfights. Just below the original Star Wars Trilogy on my yardstick Some naughty words and sexual stuff as well
Kid, 11 years old February 16, 2011

fun movie for 8 and up

This movie is pretty hard to take seriously, which makes it actually pretty funny. There is a lot of bad language and one guy gets drunk. The special effects are really cool when they destroy New York, LA, and DC. Overall, a pretty fun, entertaining movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoldenretriever1234 October 23, 2015

Good movie, but not for little kids

Independence Day directed by Roland Emmerich is nonstop action and fun. There is very frequent swearing, cities getting blasted with laser beams with lots of fire, millions die, but there is no blood ever in the movie (at least not what I could remember). The scary part is when a man is choked to death by an alien. A woman is also shown in very little clothing. My rating: PG-13 for intense science fiction terror, some strong language, mild nudity, and smoking
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2015

Spectacularly over-the-top, violent and thrilling alien invasion movie.

Most kids over 12 will like this movie with it's loud, action packed quality, but some may be scared for the same reasons. BIoody violence, big alien and human face offs and chases. Near the beginning, a women is shown at a strip club, implied that she was the one stripping. Also some salty language, goddamn, bulls--t, shmuck and bitch, used regularly. But for a classic alien defense movie, with this with your teen (just make sure younger siblings are already tucked in bed!).
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

"We're all in this together boys!"

Pearl Harbor meets Men In Black. Bill Pullman's oh-so-earnest President is a bit much, but this is a great homage to those old WWII buddy movies, celebrating patriotism, brotherhood, and benign stereotypes: Jews are good with computers and wisecracks, blacks are kickass action heroes, women are stoically supportive, (but don't do much) and WASPs can deliver inspiring speeches in moments of crisis. USA!!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bygmoots December 15, 2010

great movie, some swearing

Really good movie w/ too much swearing. Nothing too strong, but I'd like to get the TV-edited movie becasue you could get all the action w/o the swearing.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat June 7, 2015
Kid, 9 years old June 15, 2012

INDEPENDENCE DAY

Will Smith stops aliens from destroying the world. Probably the basis for MIB.
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 25, 2012

WE'RE NOT ALONE AFTER ALL!!!

This is one of the best alien movies ever! For a movie that was made in the mid 90's, the special effects are truly impressive! But like other alien movies, there's plenty of violence and total destruction, and some other adult content. That's why I suggest this movie is ok for kids ages 13 and up. It's a great movie! I love it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebo344 June 21, 2016

A true classic.

Despite being a sci-fi blockbuster, this movie has amazing action scenes, excellent acting (mainly Jeff Goldblum), great special effects and a decent story with heart. David Arnold's score is perfect. Grade: A.
Kid, 8 years old August 24, 2015

Pretty gory but cool alien,end of the world flick for teens.

My rating:R for bloody violence and language throughout.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 23, 2011

stupid story

i absolutly hate this movie i don't get the story! the whole world being attacks by aliens. stupid conseped. there is some sex and alot of violence but not alot of cursing. don't waste your time watching this over 3 hour long movie. it sucks like heck.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMovieLover1117 September 8, 2010

Perfect For 5 Year Olds

I Hate This Movie... I Thought It'd Be Okay (Cause I Had Nothing To Watch) But No It's Just Plain Old HORRIBLE