All member reviews for Independence Day

Nonstop over-the-top fun for teens and up.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMitchell Charleston May 15, 2013

Really good film.

This film had great graphics, action, and everything. Remember: Don't let kids watch it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMimi Moo March 22, 2013

Unoriginal, but still fun to watch; 12 and up

An (un-original) story about aliens invading Earth. Starring Will Smith your kid will definitely want to watch it. Some language. A dissection of an alien may scare younger kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written by17588218731912 January 27, 2013

A great Scifi action movie.

I really genuinely enjoyed this movie. You learned about the characters at the beginning, unlike most action films now a days that go straight to the explosions. The special effects are great for 1996, and not all too much. The aliens aren't that scary, only when the supposedly dead one becomes alive and strangles someone. Many many people die, and many famous landmarks are destroyed. In the end, it's the cable guy David that saves the world, so I guess it's showing that even if your not in the position of power you can still help. There is some sexual content, like a couple sleeping in the same bed, a man using the bathroom(though you see nothing explicit), a short scene of a strip club and women in skimpy outfits, but that's pretty much it. There's a lot of action and death as the cities are blown up, and swearing, but no 'F-bomb'. In the end, the world comes together and corporates with each other to destroy the Aliens, with even the president helping in the fight. In all, this movie is awesome, and I think a movie that most people will thoroughly enjoy.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 16, 2012

Nice.

This movie is fun to watch.Great music,nice artwork,and everything.I'd recommend Independence Day if you love alien movies.
Kid, 9 years old June 15, 2012

INDEPENDENCE DAY

Will Smith stops aliens from destroying the world. Probably the basis for MIB.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow May 31, 2012

Nice Emmerich film with great CGI

This was a great landmark in CGI history. Roland Emmerich once again proves to be a phenomenol director, and the film's acting was very nice. The character development was slightly off, but that is all compensated by it's splended visuals. There is a suggestive scene in a strip club, as well as some language and drinking, but Russell does proves to be a good role model for sacrificing himself to destroy one of the alien ships, the President is a great leader, and David's Jewish father is very kind. This is my second favorite Emmerich film, after 2012 and Godzilla, respectively. Sustained, campy fun for all ages!
Kid, 10 years old March 27, 2012

My Report.

Ill admit. It totally caught me off guard When that alien in area 51Got up. And the Club? A night Club? REALLY? Sure, Ill give ya that on the clothes. But actual Clubs are worse :L. This movie is pretty nice. My favorite parts when the presidents all like,''Nuke Em!" The violence? Practically nothing. Just, You know, Buildings Go boom, Like unsatisfied Nine Year olds like to see :D Really, Nothing in detail. The aliens, Are not like, Xenomorphs in Alien! They are, Those big eyed things :D And also, They like lasers :D. Language? B**Ch, D**n, Sh*t. Other than that, You can miss out easily :D Thanks For Reading! And BTW some cigars.
Kid, 10 years old September 13, 2011

very good movie

steven smokes heavy cigars (he gets david to smoke at the end) and shows a aliens body killing a man. many explosions and uses of sh*t and a**. but no big concern, its a great movie. will smith, jeff goldblum, and bill pullman's best performence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieReviewGuy July 19, 2011

Good for 12+

•Movie Review: Independence Day •Recommended Age: 12 •Sexual Content: Two unmarried characters are shown lying in bed.  There is a brief club scene, where a character, along with many other women, are shown in revealing clothing; the woman dances suggestively.  •Violence: Lots of destruction; buildings collapse, crushing people. Cities light on fire, many people are shown injured or dead.  A character is strangled.  An alien is shot and killed.  An alien telepathically tortures a man, before they shoot the alien.  Lots of other violence concerning an alien invasion; aliens fire big lasers, crush buildings, shoot down planes, etc.  •Profanity: B*stard,  Son of a b**ch, Sh*t, Other mild language (h*ll, d*mn, etc.) •Positive Messages: Self-sacrifice to save others you love, standing up for yourself (or in this case your entire planet), etc.  •Consumerism: None.  •Drugs, Smoking, Drinking: None.  Check out more complete, detailed reviews from MovieReviewGuy! commonsensemedia.org/user/moviereviewguy (If you like this review, please give it a good rating!)
Teen, 15 years old Written byTamsin Johnson July 14, 2011

Unbelievable.

Well sci-fi films and disaster movies tend to follow the same story line, for example independence day seems to follow an almost identical story line to films such as 2012 and the war of the worlds. You get the same old boring characters, meeting up in unlikely situations throughout the film and for the 'climax' you get a unrealistic survival to top it all off. I suppose if you like special effects then this is the film for you, however when you see the alien, it makes the whole film even tackier and kind of like a stupid comedy, you know the ones where you see somebody like simon pegg running away from a massive slimy alien with tenticles. Put it this way, if independence day was meant to be a comedy, well worth watching, however it is meant to be a serious film, so unless you're looking for a laugh and to poke some fun at a film, then this is the one to watch. If not, then seriously, don't bother.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytwilightfan2459 April 17, 2011

luv it, the movie tht got me into the whole sc fi scene and neva turned bk the acting is amazing and everytime i watch it i notice something i havent b4 and thts like 10 times im not obsessed but luv it lol will smith is amazing on it!! XD gr8 4 nyone
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 23, 2011

stupid story

i absolutly hate this movie i don't get the story! the whole world being attacks by aliens. stupid conseped. there is some sex and alot of violence but not alot of cursing. don't waste your time watching this over 3 hour long movie. it sucks like heck.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytransformersdar... February 22, 2011

Violence: Buildings Explode , Ships ECT.. Language: Son Of A B*ch, D*mn , What The Hell , Sh*t , Bullsh*t ,B*stard,A*s Hole, A*s, Sex: A Woman Job Is To Be A Stripper. The Reason I Rate This On For 12+ is because the language is almost unhearable, and the violence is almost only in one scene
Kid, 11 years old February 16, 2011

fun movie for 8 and up

This movie is pretty hard to take seriously, which makes it actually pretty funny. There is a lot of bad language and one guy gets drunk. The special effects are really cool when they destroy New York, LA, and DC. Overall, a pretty fun, entertaining movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process December 28, 2010

Good and campy.

Of course it's not intended to be realistic, but I personally have a hard time getting into the plot of a movie if I can't take it seriously. How did the guy survive the explosion at the end, for example? I haven't seen any of the old classic alien or disaster movies, so I didn't see the references to those. But it was a fine film, and I can't give it a bad review just because I didn't se the the older movies. "Campy", I guess, is just the right word for it. But if you want to have a fun movie to watch with your friends, this is the right movie for you. Special effects were great, considering that it was made in 1996, the year I was born!
Kid, 9 years old July 17, 2010

good moive

a good moive i like it kids 9+ will love it
Teen, 15 years old Written byLinkin Park vs.... June 27, 2010

Great movie for almost all ages

Good movie for almost all ages... not too scary and Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum do a magnificent job
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2010

its was my favorite movie as a kid

this movie was really good some bad stuff in it but i watched it when i was like 5 or 4 language mild violence mild also overall its a good movie
Adult Written byTracerBullet June 3, 2010

e.g. PeThe Quintessential moronic summer blockbuster, but don't try and be cool and admirfect for older kids, but not for tweens

And seriously is it really that bad? Here is an action film that makes you wait an hour before the action kicks in and spends that time setting up characters. This should be applauded, not ridiculed. And when the action does come, the effects look a little dated now, but it is still thrilling stuff. The 8 year old inside me thinks this film is great and I'm still willing to go along with his excitement. Content: Violence mostly - cities are levelled, protracted dogfights. Just below the original Star Wars Trilogy on my yardstick Some naughty words and sexual stuff as well
Kid, 9 years old May 22, 2010

10+, mild profanity

While this movie is great, the only problem is profanity. "Crap" and "Oh, s**t!" are what I've heard, nothing worse. Great movie, 10+