All member reviews for Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indy's first adventure is a rip-roaring action masterpiece.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bykarimck May 15, 2009

Who cares if "all of the other kids" have seen it!

I wish I would have checked this site before watching this movie with my 5 and 7 year olds. Most of their friends had seen it and other mothers told me it was fine for my kids. Not so. My kids were scared by the "creepiness" which occurs when Indy is inside the tomb and at the end when the Ark is opened and people literally MELT. They were afraid to be alone for a couple of days after watching this movie. I felt like a fab parent. :(
Adult Written byDr3w November 7, 2011

Not As Clean As You Think

This film defies age. I don't know how many of my teenage guy friends still enjoy the Indiana Jones movies. My favorite is The Last Crusade, but this is a good one too. That said. I don't understand why so many people let their children see this movie. I saw it at age fourteen and it was still intense. People get impaled through the head with spears. Riddled with blowdarts. Burned to death. Shot and have blood dribble out of their mouth. Melted. Have their heads explode. Get shredded by an airplane propeller and have their blood spray a window. Some of this is fairly fake-looking, but I don't think that mitigates the violence. The Indiana Jones films try to gross you out with disgusting violence. This film was originally going to be rated R. Does that surprise anyone? It didn't surprise me at all. The language used in this film is overall not that bad for a PG movie in the eighties, but it should still be noted that there are about eight uses of cursing in this film (including one s-word). Also, Indiana Jones and his girlfriend have a very strongly implied tryst. The film shows them kissing on top of a bed in a fairly sensual scene and later shows her naked wrapped in the sheets so no nudity is visible there. Earlier in the film, the said girl-friend's bare back is visible as she changes and she wears a dress that isn't terribly modest. That all said, I think a lot depends on your teens when deciding whether or not to let them see this film. However, I don't think I'd let most kids under the age of fourteen see this particular Indiana Jones movie. The PG-rating is deceptive parents. Don't be fooled by it into thinking that this is a family movie. This was nearly rated R, remember? Treat it at least like a PG-13 (and an edgy one at that).
Kid, 10 years old July 15, 2010

fun for preteens and up

love danger and advencher this will blow your mind away not my fav but it is a mix of nashanol tresher and pirets of the carebbean and a pinch of star wars but a cup of fun but deservs a PG-13 but grat movie but not famly fun
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 12, 2010

definitely would NOT be PG in our times,would be rated PG-13

awesome movie
Parent of a 9 year old Written byChitch January 19, 2011

Great movie but too violent for younger kids

I can't believe the guy who wrote "What parents need to know" says that there is "nothing graphic". Did he watch this movie?! I have always loved the Indiana Jones films but they are the reason PG-13 was invented. WAY too violent for younger kids.
Parent of a 2, 6, and 9 year old Written byDeerfieldDad May 13, 2011

Ok for 9 year olds but caution

The fighting in the movie is tame by modern day standards. In fact, the movie itself moves rather slowly. There is a lot of sword fighting, death, and the like but it's not actually that graphic. SPOILER ALERT: The part that sticks out that some 9 year olds won't deal well with is the whole face-melting scene when the ark is opened. My 9 year old tends to run away and hide when things get too scary or embarrassing, but his tush was firmly planted on the couch the entire time. Recommended.
Adult Written byPaigeG April 9, 2008

Great movie - not for young kids

Be very cautious with this movie. I know the newest Indy is out in the theaters, but the original was made before the PG-13 rating was available. Lots and lots of violence - including blood splatters from an airplane rotor and melting faces. Also, tons of drinking in excess and profanity that you would not want young kids to hear (including several GDs). Review this movie yourself before you introduce it to your kids.
Educator and Parent Written byaikos February 7, 2015

Should be PG13

I watched this long time ago and forgot how inappropriate this movie could be for kids under 12 or 13. If this movie was made in present time, it would be rated as PG13. Really shocking violent scenes.
Kid, 11 years old June 23, 2014

Should be rated PG-13

This film is really violent! People are shot and stabbed (quite frequently), and one guy is dramatically ripped to pieces by a helicopter propeller! I've seen R rated movies less violent than this! Also, it's kind of sexist. The guy's girlfriend starts out a really strong, female character, but buy the end she's this damsel in distress and always needs her boyfriend to save her. Also, there's a drinking contest and one character nearly passes out.
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2011

Too much violence is what I hate about this movie! I swear I will never watch another Indiana Jones movie again.
Adult Written bypzelchenko July 26, 2009

Depends...

Depends on your family's personal attitudes. Kids can imagine worse than this. I like to laugh loudly during the horrific scenes (e.g., faces melting) to convey the message that it's just Hollywood. Worse is the bad role-modeling. Everyone is a mercenary, even the heroic couple. Don't really like that.
Adult Written byNM_Mike February 27, 2009

What about the language!

The language in this film is unacceptable. How many times does a movie have to take the Lord's name in vain before that is included in a "Family Friendly" review? There were at least two instances in this movie. Also, the violence was very graphic. As a college student, I didn't notice, but as a father watching with young children I was mortified. In my opinion, this should have been rated R and restricted to those 17 years and older.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byRT96950 December 25, 2010

Great for older kids, but to "evil" and too violent for tweens.

What a thrilling movie! Jones is a good role model almost every respect.
Kid, 10 years old August 23, 2010

Violence (R): Lots od dueling with fire, guns, swords, and fists. Sexual Content (PG): It's clear Belloq wants to trick Marion into having sex with him. Language (PG-13): Alot, even for a Jones movie.
Parent of a 1, 1, 4, 9, 9, and 16 year old Written byMariofan January 26, 2010

The best movie ever !

My kid likes it! It's his favorite movie. He is constantly using the characters in his imagination. He makes a couple of bad characters good, and makes others extremely bad. My kid is a TohtFan , so he started crying during the Ark Ceremony. He makes jokes about the characters! Very funny ones.
Teen, 15 years old Written byVinnyMatser9999 December 29, 2014

Let 'em wait

Although the Indiana Jones trilogy is an all time classic, parents need to know that with all the uplifting reviews said about it, there's a large handful of violence that comes with it. This includes many fistfights, gunfights, and, well, bloody deaths. Telling your kids to wait won't kill them and they'll probably be glad they did. Overall, I love Raiders of the Lost Ark and should be watched (eventually) by families everywhere!
Kid, 10 years old August 7, 2014

Nail biting film delivers the excitement

The start to the Indiana Jones series is a delicious treat; we have a snake pit, an ark and other objects to bring this original film to life. Filled with fighting from the start, this installment keeps you superglued to your seat. Expect moderate violence, (face meltings, a hurt monkey and threats) as well as cruel Nazis and intense action to make Raiders of the Lost Ark top notch. Do not suspect that this masterpiece is nonsense action - this Indy will even be enjoyed by most adults. Although no movie is perfect, this film is close to flawless.
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2014

Good movie kinda

A little causing but when I was around 6 I watch a ton of pg-13 movies but they do some dangerous stuff and there's a lot of action
Kid, 9 years old March 24, 2014

Parenting review for Indiana jones: Raiders of the lost ark

To be honest, If your kid is not interested in religion and knows nothing about religious artifacts, He or She will not understand this movie, There is one drinking contest scene, But I wouldn't mind it. Your kid must be mature and cautious about this movie, Indiana jones is looking for one of the most powerful things in the entire history of man kind: The Ark of the covenant which melts one of the villains' face off brutally at the end and explodes another's head and sucks them into the sky. I only heard about 2 bad words; "Sh--t" and "Damn".... There is one scene where Indy and his girlfriend marian are having some sexual desires on a boat scene but don't worry, There isn't any sex. On a car chase scene someone shoots Indy in the arm and after getting thrown out of the car he comes back and tries to climb the engine, Unfortunately the poles of the engine break and he falls off and gets ran over but not on screen. I think this movie is for mature kids. (PS. on the bottom when it says "too much violence", I mean it just has violence in it)
Kid, 12 years old February 10, 2014

Raiders of the Lost Ark movie review

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" is a film that changed cinema forever. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. The way Steven Spielberg directed "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is outstanding. I liked how Indiana Jones was a vulnerable hero. He wasn't Rambo or John Matrix. Jones was a different kind of protagonist. Throughout the movie, you wanted to root for him when he was getting beaten up. The action and special effects were amazing in this movie. When Indiana Jones went under the truck, I wondered how much work had to be put in doing that. The movie's story-line is very interesting. It was an original idea in 1981. The ending to Raiders of the Lost Ark doesn't feel weird or unnatural. It feels like it could actually happen because the way this movie is set up. The cinematography for "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is brilliant. The shots are perfect and the audio quality is very good. John Williams' score for the Indiana Jones movies are flawless. It is one of the best scores I have ever heard. The action in this masterpiece is incredible. There are some moments in the film are very bloody. Because of the blood, I think this movie is better for older children and teenagers. Nowadays, this movie would never ever be PG. If you have not seen this movie, you really should." Raiders of the Lost Ark" is one of the best action movies I have ever seen. To this day, it is my favorite "Indiana Jones" movie. Go check it out if you have not. It is definitely one of the most influential films in movie history.