All member reviews for Inherit the Wind

Knock-out courtroom drama has deft comic touches.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 9, 2011

Inherit the wind: A masterpiece

Inherit the wind is a fascinating debate film. The movie stars Spencer Tracy, Frederic Marsh, and Gene Kelly, who are all excellent. The movie focuses on the battle between religion and evolution, a perfect debate film that fairly judges both sides of the argument. Note to Parents: Kids may not be ready for a debate between religion and evolution, they must be willing to handle both sides of the argument. Yet if they are mature enough, a great film.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion September 20, 2009

A Spectacular Court-Room Movie!

Here, in this film, we have a giant, a king of a genre. This is the greatest courtroom drama I have ever seen, towering at an apex of emotion and grand symbolism. The film, which is based on the famous 1925 Scopes Monkey Trial, has a perfect script, brimming with enough sharp dialogue to satisfy any movie-goer. There is also perfect acting, especially from the amazing Spencer Tracy. There is no particularly objectionable content in the film, aside from a few "d**n"s and "h*ll"s. The whole films is about evolution vs. religion, and, though the film feels like it takes the side of evolution, in the end they are evenly weighed. There are many mature discussions throughout the film that will most likely bore kids, but anyone who can appreciate it should watch it. All characters fight for what they think is right, and bigoted people are portrayed in a negative light. Even characters who use underhanded means to get what they want are fully-fleshed out, sympathetic people who apologize for their actions.
Adult Written byotakucode April 9, 2008

Fantastic movie for older kids and teens

While you might have trouble getting a youngster to sit through this dialog-heavy movie, it carries important messages about the dangers of letting emotional pleas to continue the status quo drive the show. If they believe it, the movie should let them know that even when a lot of loud and powerful people around you are dead wrong, you have a chance to be heard when the truth is on your side.
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2013

My Personal Favorite Movie

Inherit the Wind is my favorite movie of all time. It has pitch-perfect acting, extremely likable characters (my personal favorite being Gene Kelly's E.K. Hornbeck, which snagged him a Best Actor nomination), and a story like no other. A schoolteacher is arrested and prosecuted for teaching evolution, and it's up to the most agile legal mind in the nation, Henry Drummond, to prove he committed no crime. The only problem? The entire town is against him, and the judge seems equally biased. Not to mention the opposition: a public speaker and highly religious politician set in his ways. It's progress versus tradition, and it all comes together in a climax showcasing some of the finest acting of all time. Inherit the Wind: I can't say enough good things about it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus October 31, 2012

Really good!

This was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. We read "Inherit the Wind" in my English class and then watched the movie. I liked the occasional humor. Some mild language.