All member reviews for Inkheart

Tween-targeted fantasy adaptation is no Harry Potter.

Kid, 10 years old January 27, 2009

Should I see it?

I wanted to see Inkheart when it first came out. To me it looked like a good movie, mostly. But when my friend told me it wasn't as she thought it would be (in other words, an overall bad movie), I was a little disappointed. But that's just my thinking.
Parent Written byewe2lambs November 7, 2010

We enjoyed this film - but then we haven't read the book - oops or maybe not, the writing on the faces of the actors and the burning of the books worried our 8 yo, but she still enjoyed it, 5yo sort of liked it but zoned out at the scarey bits and played with his playmobil!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybibliophile February 10, 2009

Okay. Entertaining.

This movie was entertaining, but by no means briliant. It had exciting parts, and a few humourous comments, and was, overall, a great family movie. One or two intense scenes could scare children younger than seven (maybe), and there were only two swear words: d-mn and jack-ss. In one scene we get a really nice view down a woman's copious chest, as a ferret digs a key out from between her breasts. Other than that, there is no innappropriate content.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLittle movie freak September 18, 2009

WARNING: This movie may be to scary for some little kids!

This film was not what I expected to be. At first I thought that this movie would be cool ( kind of) fun for the whole family. Instead I thought that this this movie was a little too long and bit scary for kids -6-7 and under.This movie may maybe iffy and somewhat scary for kids ages 8 +. Mostly this movie would be a pretty good movie for ages 11- 12+. I did think that this movie was a bit scary at the end .If kids want to see this movie they need to know that is movie has some scary scenes like in the Harry Potter movies. This movie has very brief language. It only has one or two bad words. I would recommend this movie to kids who have read and liked the book, or to to kids who like fantasy movies like this and the other 6 Harry Potter movies.
Kid, 11 years old September 28, 2009

great for all ages

I think inkheart was a great movie for all ages.It is kind of funny and it rocked. It has some good family messages.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni January 12, 2010

perfect for all ages!

a great movie due to the fact that it does not differ much from the book. the main storyline is followed, although the ending is different. The book is brought alive in this great film, and i recommend it for kids as young as nine. however, some of the violence may be too young for kids eight and younger. the henchmen of Capricorn may scare some; they are dressed in black and are scarred with tatoos. they are usually brutal towards prisoners and villagers. but all in all, the movie is really great for kids to teens.
Kid, 8 years old May 16, 2010

lovly film

it somtimes just popped up with different bits and it was a bit scary
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 14, 2010

basically exact PG-level movie.
Kid, 12 years old November 9, 2010

HUGE Letdown

When I heard there was going to be a movie of Inkheart I was overjoyed, but that all wen away when I actually watched it. I guess if you don't read the book first it's alright, but read first and watch second, you'll see that it's very different. It's so different that it's kind of hard to enjoy it, but that's my opinion.
Teen, 14 years old Written byallyra99 June 15, 2010

Scary

The d word and j a word.Better than book.
Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2010

OK Movie

It's a great movie. Not much like the book (a little better). I like it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOldBob13 April 18, 2010

Middling tween-based fantasy brings nothing new to the table

Inkheart falls into the same the-book-is-probably-better theory. It could've been very good, but thanks to another disappointing performance by Brendan Fraser, Inkheart falls flat. The story follows pretty well with the book, but some scenes were clearly added. One offensive scene depicts a rodent crawling into a woman's giant breasts. And the camera zooms in for a close-up shot, revealing almost everything. It was obviously a throw-back to the Black Caldroun (when a frog got caught in a witch's breasts) but this movie is not animated. That scene alone makes this flick for preteens an up only. Other than that, there is some violence, a few scary scenes, and a use of "d**n. Overall, better choices definetly are around. Preteens looking for fantasy fun should check out the Narnia series.
Kid, 10 years old February 10, 2010

Great for 8+

I loved this movie. I watched it three times. One reason being I love ferrets. Great acting, and a few funny things said, like 'I LOVE Duckt Tape.' A bad word, d-mn, but I think it kind of hit it off well, like, it made you see how mean Eleanor was. This movie I recommend for kids 8+. Not because a seven-year-old couldn't see it, just that they wouldn't like too much action, I think they'd like a movie better about Clifford The Big Red Dog. 8-yr-olds, I think this is for them and older. Everyone I'v met that has seen this movie loves it too!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBeeshu July 2, 2011

Not for young kids

Kid, 12 years old November 13, 2010

great family movie harry potter style to it.

wonderful fantasy love the great messages!!!!!
Adult Written byDanna Kryss January 23, 2011

You are the one who knows your child the best, so only you can make a proper decision if this movie would scare him or not. It was hard even for me to see burning books, for I have great love for them, but neither painted faces of some characters, nor evil creatures from fairy-tales, nor even violent actions of bandits frightened my 8 year old. The dark atmosphere of the story is much more noticeable and has much more influence. The idea of the story is really great although the realization could be better. But we still had pleasure when watching it.
Kid, 9 years old November 8, 2009

inkheart

it was cool how you got to like bring people out of the story it was a cool effect
Teen, 15 years old Written byJoey123 August 20, 2009

Pretty good...

The movie was a lot better than I thought that it would be. But the PG rating may have been pushing it a little. There is much more language than it says in the review. A few s-words and possible and uttered f-word. The camera also looks DOWN a woman's dress, and we see A LOT of cleavage. All in all, it wasn't too bad. But it is definitely not for kids.
Adult Written byLyndaSLP February 8, 2009

Great movie -- but not if you read the book first.

Inkheart truly is a great movie - entertaining for the whole family. The violence would be a bit much for younger children. If you've read the book, don't expect the movie to follow the book. As I've been telling friends, "The movie and the book have the same premise: a man can read objects/people out of books". Beyond that, not much is the same. Within the first 10 minutes, my 7-year old son (who read the book) leaned over to me and said, "That doesn't happen now... that happens later... why did they do that?" So, as a book lover, I was disappointed that the movie didn't really resemble the book.
Adult Written byatgmom January 24, 2009

Fantasic Family Film

I thought Inkheart was a wonderful film, perfect for the whole family. My children are 8, 12 and 14 and each of them enjoyed this film immensely. It had the perfect blend of action and adventure, holding everyone's attention to the end. I definitely recommend this film to everyone looking for a good family film.