All member reviews for Inside Llewyn Davis

Bleak, but lovely journey OK for older-teen music fans.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydoubleE December 31, 2013

The Movie is Phenomenal... The Language Isn't

First of all this movie was FANTASTIC! I have no idea why I wanted to see this but I was so glad I did. The music is terrific and this was one of the best movies of 2013. There is so much language in this movie. It seems like the F word was used 400 times or in every sentence. There is no sex but some really heavy discussions on abortion. Violence is very slim with a couple of fist fights. A mature teen could handles but I doubt a teen would want to see this... AMAZING movie!
Parent Written byMommaKorn December 27, 2013

Pretty Boring

I'm not sure you should even spend the $$ to take a kid to this movie. It's going to be a must-see for Coen Brothers fans but kids won't get it. In fact I've seen every Coen Brother's movie and even I didn't get the point. The protagonist is a tragic figure, but he's unlikable. There's no one to "root for." Content wise, there is little in there that will traumatize your kid unless you're sensitive about f-bombs and abortion.
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah January 1, 2014

Kind of messy, but fitfully so.

Each performance is stellar even if some are minimized, and the direction and music complements it perfectly. The story drifts a fair amount and I honestly don't have any problem with, it's just that the marketing and promotional material for the film showcases several people that are just barely there (don't expect to see more than two scenes of Justin Timberlake and John Goodman). The marketing for this movie is actually pretty terrible. However, as with this film, I quite like drifting stories because they allow for a more realistic and first-person perspective of events. Oscar Isaac is sosososo good and his character verges on anti-hero since he's such a bad person when you think about what he does, but he gives it depth and loads of charisma. Carey Mulligan was surprisingly convincing as a sort of totally mean person, which I haven't really seen from her before. The thing I was the most skeptical of was the music, but thank God it works super well. It's crucial, of course, but works because the actors the play subtle and everything feels realistic. It drags a bit, but the color pallet and coldly immersive nature helps.
Written byAnonymous March 15, 2014

One of the best movies of 2013 but very harsh in language

This movie is a really good movie that's very funny VIOLENCE: Hardly any violence. A few punches here and there, a minor car crash, 2 chase scenes with A CAT. SEX: No sex. But talks about condom on condom, triple condoms. Talking about abortion and contraception. LANGUAGE: They say the F bomb a lot. And some other curses. DRUG/DRINKING/SMOKING: No drugs, wine drinking and frequent cigarette smoking 'CAUSE IT'S THE 60s CONSUMERISM: A gibson guitar MESSAGES/ROLE MODELS: None.
Educator and Parent of a 20 year old Written byredjed March 7, 2014

Man, Oh Man

It's not really that this movie is inappropriate in terms of content for teens, but it doesn't really seem to be out to do much for them except to tell them that life will beat you down, and you can tell yourself you can beat it all you want, you ultimately can't. I'm now going to tell you the ending. And no spoiler alert, ’cause I'm saving you time: Llewyn doesn't accomplish anything. He goes to Chicago, gets rejected, tries to apply to the Marines (think “Captain Phillips”), gets rejected there because he burned his pilot's license, then goes back to where he started at the beginning. That's basically it. The movie had you spend a great deal of time getting involved with his story and hoping he'll get out of the slump he's in, simply to bottleneck at a cheap ending in which absolutely none of that mattered. In doing this, the Coens broke a cardinal rule of storytelling they had not broken before: Don't have anything in the story happen by accident. The whole plot is treated as an accident. As a result, the film comes across as much creative and technical mastery, little (if any) point. “You can't short-change yourself.” Unfortunately, Llewyn ends the movie where he started: Thinking there's little, if anything, TO shortchange, when the audience sees countless things.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 March 23, 2014

Pitch black Coens dramedy

After the odd and flatly uninteresting "A Serious Man," the Coens' return to dramedy is "Inside Llewyn Davis," about a pessimistic and almost unlikable folk singer who bears the titular name of the film. Davis is a pretty good folk singer in the early 60s, but nobody seems to want him around: his ex-girlfriend dating his friend especially. While there isn't much character development for old Llewyn, the film really isn't concerned with that as it is a snapshot of this misanthropic man's life, and how his self destructive tendencies hurt the ones around him. Isaac is a revelation as Llewyn, showing the audience the small sliver in potential he has in him. John Goodman however, is HYSTERICAL as Rolan, an eclectic old man Davis meets in his homeless travels. His 10 minute role was so thoroughly hilarious I think he was snubbed for the Oscars!