Kid reviews for Insidious: Chapter 2

Horror sequel brings more of the same creepy scares.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHorrorMovieFanatic November 1, 2016

Horror Sequel Brings More Of The Same Creepy Scares

"Insidious: Chapter 2" is a horror/thriller/mystery/drama film by James Wan, the director of "The Conjuring Series", "Saw Series", " Dead Silence", "Anabelle", "Demonic" etc. starring Leigh Whannell (Specs), Patrick Wilson (Josh Lambert), Lin Shaye (Elise Rainier), Rose Byrne (Renai Lambert), Angus Sampson (Tucker), Ty Simpkins (Dalton Lambert), Barbara Hershey (Lorraine Lambert), Andrew Astor (Foster Lambert), Steve Coulter (Carl), Danielle Bisutti (Michelle), Joecelin Donahue (Loraine Lambert), Lindsay Seim (Elise Rainier), Garrett Ryan (Josh Lambert), Tyler Griffin (Old Woman), Tom Fitzpatrick (Old Woman), J.Larose (Long Haired Fiend), Hank Harris (Carl), Jenna Ortega (Annie), Edwina Findley (Front Desk Nurse Hillary), Brooke Peoples (Jessica), Michael Beach (Detective Sendal), Stephanie Pearson (Dark Haired Woman), Priscilla Garita (Natalie), Jorge Palo (Ryan), Sienna Farall (Coma Ward Nurse) and finally Jack Walsh (Old Man In The Further) released on September 13, 2013. Because of this films high scariness factor, teenagers 13 and under should be accompanied by adult supervision. SUMMARY: Soon after their showdown with evil spirits that possessed their son, the Lamberts, Renai and Josh, are ready for their lives to return to normal. However, something still is seriously off, especially with Josh, who -- unbeknown to Renai -- is possessed too. In order to free Josh's soul and finally defeat the malevolent forces around them, Lorraine Lambert and her ghost-hunting friends investigate the past to save her family's future. Is this film any good? “Insidious: Chapter 2” simply presents more of the same stuff we saw in Insidious, and it no longer feels quite so fresh. The "Further," a great idea in the previous movie, is no longer an unknown entity, the characters aren't explored any more deeply, and even the ghosts have no new tricks. But just because it's not as good as the original doesn't make this sequel a bad movie. Director James Wan continues to develop his touch for truly scary horror. Unlike many of today's camera-shakers, Wan uses smooth, three-dimensional space and offscreen sound to generate his scares. His camera moves freely through houses and buildings, using natural obstacles like walls and doorways to generate prickly suspense. Like his film The Conjuring, it's also refreshingly free of gore, profanity, and sex. The weird, atonal score by Joseph Bishara adds another nightmarish layer. The bottom line is that it's still quite scary. That was it for the non-spoilery section. If you want to know if you’re mature enough to watch this movie, I recommend asking one of your parents to read the section below. It includes major spoilers about the film and some of the jump scares and startling scenes. SPOILERS: Positive Messages: Characters try to help one another in this movie, even entering into frightening and potentially dangerous situations to do so. Positive Role Models: The supporting characters ----------- the paranormal investigators-------------------------- are the ones who seem the most heroic and interesting. They’re forever forging ahead into frightening and unknown situations in the quest for knowledge and to help others. They’re sympathetic, brave and supportive. Violence: The movie is filled with scary imaged and sounds. Some of the sudden shocks will send sensitive viewers jumping out of their seats. Some disturbing images come up as well, as when the father is seen attacking his wife and attempting to attack his children. In these scenes, characters hurl household objects at one another and beat each other up. Ghosts attack a young boy. Characters use a Taser gun and a syringe full of sedative. A dead body is shown, and a tiny bit of blood is shown on a photograph and a knocked out tooth. Sex: A married couple is shown kissing. Language: A few uses of “s—t” plus “hell”, “goddamn”, “Oh My God” etc. A character refers to his “nuts” after falling down in a dark room. Consumerism: Not applicated. Drinking, Drugs & Smoking: Not applicated. Positive Messages: 20% Positive Role Models: 40% Violence: 80% Sex: 20% Language 60% Consumerism: 0% Drinking Drugs & Smoking: 0%. “Insidious: Chapter 2” was not as enthralling and scary as the first one. This film never made me jump or anything like that. I would recommend “Insidious: Chapter 2” to teenagers ages 14 and up. Grade: C-

Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2015

Better then the first story wise, but lacks some of the originals' creepy/scary qualities.

Like the first "Insidious", creepy shadows and figures are seen, some violent hand to hand combat, a needle that makes people pass out, terror of ambiguity, some language like goddamn, s--t and a man refers to his nuts. Bottom line? For kids only 13+

Teen, 14 years old Written byMarcelo14 March 9, 2016

Scary

This installment is, in my eyes, scarier than the original, but not as interesting.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAVTRlover 4 January 18, 2014

Insidious Chapter 2

This made for an enjoyable time, but it really didn't offer anything new over the first Insidious, which is quite possibly my favorite horror movie that I have ever seen. It wasn't nearly as scary as the first either. This series offers scares without much gore. There was minimal violence, but there was scary imagery. There was also use of mild language. This made for a fun time, but it wouldn't scare people who have seen the original as much as it would new people, so it could be disappointing.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKyle1414 September 18, 2013

HORRIFYING MOVIE!

Alright, so first let's just say this: I honestly do not find the first Insidious scary. I find it more creepy and erie than scary. I do enjoy the first installment, but Insidious: Chapter 2....is just....oh my god...it is HORRIFYING! There were so many jump scares, terrifying images...AHH! And I love horror movies so much, so I generally don't get too scared but Insidious 2 is MOST DEFINITELY the MOST HORRIFYING movie I have EVER seen! My Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 For Thematic Elements, Intense Sequences of Violence And Terror, Startling Moments, And Language. Parents, be careful!!! This movie was released in theaters September 13th. Comes to DVD on December 24th!

Teen, 14 years old Written byI am cookie monster September 15, 2013

Very fun and interesting movie!

First of all, I just wanna let everyone know that this is coming from someone who doesn't really get scared by movies. Insidious chapter 2 is a very fun and heart pounding movie that I reccommend to anyone 13 and up. I also reccommend that you bring a group of friends with you because, obviously, the more the merrier! It also has a surprisingly good and interesting (and slightly confusing) storyline. And as far as scary goes... I think if you're easily scared you should at least give this movie a try with some friends because it really is a blast.

Kid, 11 years old September 14, 2013

Insidous Chapter 2

Teen, 14 years old Written byCommon sense SU... March 9, 2019

This movie good as fuck

Yo this is legit the best horror movie I have ever seen not for pussy kids but really good. Great plot. Watch this shit it fire,
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2018

Just as good as the prequel!

My rating, PG-13: Horror violence and terror throughout, some disturbing images and brief strong language throughout. Violence: People fight with lots of household objects, (hammer...). Person wielding machete proceeds to brutally kill victims (this scene is not for 12-). Demon disguised as man attempts to kill his whole family with a hammer (not bloody, as they are not killed). Lots of the same imagery as the last movie. Darkness, shadows, and frightening scenes. There are lots of jump scares just like the last movie. Man throws people around. Language: One use of son of a b--ch. Some uses of goddamn, damn and hell.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBps 20999 October 19, 2018

Ok for ages 15 and Up

Teen, 15 years old Written byRhinoGamerHD October 6, 2018

scarier and more violent than the first film.

there were a few jump scares and suspense/tension moments in the film, some of them were scary and made me jump but some of them didn't. there were scenes of violence in this film but it's not too bad, there was 2 uses of b*tch and thats it. i don't really know if this film is better or as good as the first film, i would let a mature 13 year old watch this with a parent. 7/10.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJ.C. Aldridge August 30, 2018

Rated 15 (sustained threat, strong horror, violence).

Teen, 17 years old Written bykyle.the.killer April 4, 2018

Very Intense

This movie in my opinion is the scariest of all four insidious movies that are now out so far. It is very intense. The spirits are very creepy and violent, and this movie is FAR from cliche. Yes there are jump scares, but the movie itself has very tension filled scene. It is sooo amazing.

Kid, 10 years old January 24, 2018
A horror movie that is truly terrifying with no sex, little violence, and barely any language! Violence and scariness: Very scary, with lots of jump scares and tension, one murder, and a brief mention of suicide that young kids will miss. Language: A few brief swears, nothing too strong. My rating: PG-13 for intense and frightening scenes, disturbing images and brief mild language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJazzynyc04 January 16, 2018

Great Sequel and Pairs Perfectly With the First Installment!

Insidious: Chapter 2 is a great horror movie and works amazingly with the previously released Insidious. While there are a lot of scares throughout the movie, it is very interesting to see the ways in which it explains some of the content from the first edition. Personally, Insidious is one of my favorite horror movies and if you liked the first one you HAVE to see the second one. I wouldn't however recommend seeing it without having seen Insidious because of how much it refers to and depicts scenes from it. While there is a handful of violence in the second half of the movie, there is no gore and isn't really graphic at all. There is very minimal language and nothing that parents should be concerned about. Overall, if you are a horror fan and into the Insidious series, I definitely believe that this movie is a good choice and is fine for younger teens.
Kid, 10 years old January 6, 2018

Physiological sequel, has some intense content.

Wow, this movie was actually good. I watched this movie, knowing it would not be as good is the first one, Insidious. Oh, I was wrong, this movie topped the first one, well, in my opinion. It was more physiological then the first one, it didn’t include too much visual scares. It wasn’t afraid to let your mind do the thinking. There were jumpscares that actually scared me, so bravo to James Wan (the director) Enough talking let’s talk about the elements that the movie contains. Well, let’s start off with one of the biggest concerns, sex and nudity. The sexual content was really toned down. Yeah, yeah, yeah there’s kissing in it, but it’s really toned down. 1.4 out of 10. Another pretty big concern is language. The language is bad at sometimes, but there’s nothing too bad. Expect to hear b-words, s-words and stuff like that. 4.5 out of 10. Alcohol, drugs and smoking don’t play a big part in this movie. I myself, don’t even recall there being a brief moment of anything close to that particular subject. 0.9 out of 10. We also have violence and gore, there is violence and gore in the movie, but nothing that makes you feel disgusted. People are injected, killed, hurt, but really, all the violence is moderate. 8.6 out of 10. We have one last thing parents could be concerned about, which is the frightening and intense scenes. The movie is a horror movie, so it is scary. It’s less visually scary, it’s more physiologically scary. There’s jumpscares, tension and it is pretty scary. 8.9 out of 10. Well that’s my review. 13+ is my rating, take caution letting your children watch it. But, you NEED to watch the first Insidious before. (there connected) Thank you for reading my review. Bye.

Kid, 10 years old October 31, 2017

better then the first.

this movie was more scary then the first, more intense.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLoïc July 13, 2015

In 2nd movie, prepared to see a lot more terrifying horror show that is predecessor / Pour ce 2eme film, préparée à voir un spectacle d’horreur bien plus terrifiant que sont prédécesseur !

Insidious Chapter 2, following the isidious film is much more terrifying and scary as Insidious . This movie is really scary with very intense terror , of demons that we see and that really make fears corpses decomposition , haunted houses and sinister atmosphere really scary . This film shows disturbing and frightening images , sounds ... There is no blood but this film is more violent and the effrayant.que premier.Il can really hit a young audience and make nightmares long a child, even great . This film is against the great and very interesting history as it premer in learning more about premier.Il is essential for me to see the first before this one . Rating: 8/10 Great movie with a very interesting and intriguing story . Horror fans will be served by movie that will make them fear from beginning to end! Excuse me for the mistakes but I'm french ! FRANCAIS:Insidious chapitre 2, la suite du film isidious, est bien plus terrifiant et effrayant que Insidious. Ce film est vraiment très effrayant avec des terreurs très intenses, des démons que l’on voit et qui font vraiment peurs, des cadavres en décompositions, des maisons hantées sinistre et une ambiance vraiment angoissante. Ce film montre des images perturbantes et effrayantes, des bruits… Il n’y a pas de sang mais ce film est plus violent et effrayant.que le premier.Il peut vraiment heurté un jeune public et faire cauchemarder longtemps un enfant, meme grand. Ce film est par contre super et l'histoire très intéressante , car elle premer dans apprendre plus sur le premier.Il est pour moi indispensable de voir le premier avant celui-ci. Note:8/10 Très bon film avec une histoire très intéressante et intrigante. Les fan d'horreur seront servit par se film qui leur fera peur du début à la fin ! Excusez moi pour les fautes mais je suis francais !

Kid, 8 years old June 29, 2015

Disturbing,scary,but entertaining horror flick is improved but still not great.

My rating:PG-13 for intense sequences of horror,violence,racy material,and language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byalexis.castelli13 June 20, 2015
I think this is recommended for ages 12+ and for kids that are mature enough. It was an alright movie but it was quite confusing at times. Not that scary, which was a downfall but overall it was good :)