Exceptionally scary flick is too intense for younger teens.

Kid, 8 years old June 29, 2015

Dumb,boring,disturbing,scary horror flick is very violent

This thriller fallows Josh, Renai, Dalton, Foster, a family who moves into a house that they think is haunted. Creepy things start happening 1st there son Dalton goes into a-coma, second creepy figures are shown then disappear, 3 things start moving around. Now they decided to move but the strange events continue. So they call a demon fighter a friend of Joshes dad, the demon fighters name is Elise she comes to help to get Dalton back. Now Josh goes into a dimension called the further that is where Dalton is so now he must get him back. This horror movie is quite scary but not as scary as common sense says, there are jump shocks, demons, creepy noises, disturbing images, bloody claw marks, ghosts, and creepy songs that play. Its also very violent but this movie does not use gory killings, guts, or splattering blood to scary its just scary toys, doles, jump shocks, some blood, and disturbing images but only 1 but shocking death. There is also a good amount of swearing including 1 f--king a couple s--ts d--n h--l b---h w----r. There is no drinking, drugs, or gore but its way to scary for kids. My rating:PG-13 for horror throughout,and violent content.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPugluv2388 June 23, 2015

Great movie for kids who are starting to get in to the horror genre!

I absolutely love this movie and the entire series. It is a little scary with more suspense. Another thing I like is that this movie has no sexual activity, a lot of horror movies have unneeded sex scenes. The best part about this movie is the actual story is very creative and interesting. Another thing is that all 3 movies fit together, watch them in order or you will have no idea what is going on. I love this movie! It is a must see!
Teen, 16 years old Written bySuperginge June 20, 2015
Teen, 14 years old Written byTIE41 June 19, 2015

Scary

This is a very scary film and unsuitable for kids 13 and under. Although no sexual stuff, and the fact there was only 3 times where someone cussed, this is still not a movie you should show to a young child . This is a very good and scary movie if you enjoy that stuff.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDuckCommander13 June 16, 2015

Really Good Horror Movie

Insidious is made by James Wan. the director of The Conjuring and Saw. Even though it has a lot of jumps scares,blood and 1 kill, it's alright for kids ages 12 and up if they can handle it. There are 3 "F" words (one is written), and some other minor language. There is no drinking, drugs, or sex in the movie at all. This is rated PG-13, so there's no way it can be iffy for kids 15 and up. The bottom line is, if you like horror, watch this!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bycoolcreativekid June 7, 2015

good for 13 and up

Insidious is an amazing super natural/paranormal activity horror movie. This movie has no inappropriate intimate scenes what so ever. There may be a small swear word or two. There is an image of a demon, but only for a brief second. Overall this movie is made up with a good story line and well timed jump scares. perfect for 13 and up!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty47 June 3, 2015

Overall good movie

Kid, 12 years old May 25, 2015

This movie was really scary most of the film, so I recommend it for ages 12 and up. The scariest scenes were when the dad goes into the further and sees the creepy family smiling at him, and the scene with the hallway twins, both of those made me jump. There is some cussing, and one F bomb dropped, but it wasn't that bad. There is some violence and possession scenes that have alot of peril, but if you are 12 and up, you will be fine.

Teen, 13 years old Written byakirschner April 21, 2015

really scary

This film was surprisingly great, and it was exceptionally creepy for a pg13. Language is not constant but does include one F-word, and some other words such as whore. Sexual content is definitely not an issue in this movie. This movie is very creepy, and should only be watched by kids who can handle lots of jump scares, creepy faces, and dark elements.
Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2015

18A

Contains strong horror and very strong menace.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFilmguy15 December 4, 2014

Beginner horror movie

This movie is great if you're just beginning with horror movies. It's scary in the moment but once you're done watching it the fear goes away because it's just kind of unbelievable. If you have a hard time sleeping because of you get scared easily I don't think it would be a good idea to watch this... haha. Oh and also at one point the father say's the F word but just once. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byjohnstewart August 20, 2014

THIS MOVIE IS F***IN SCARY BUT SO GOOD

i just cant stop watching this movie (cause i found it really good) but it's so scary, so i couldn't sleep for like 4 months and got like 3 nightmares. btw there isn't much violence, only a person gets strangled and there are bloody handprints, and one fight that isnt much violent. and language, well, it is kind of strong, but i'm used to language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAverageteenager August 5, 2014

Great movie! But...

I personally think it was a greatly made movie but it scared me and I couldn't sleep that night.yeah it is scarier than the conjuring even though it is PG 13 and the conjuring is R.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRockAndRollKid July 29, 2014

Truly horrifying. Many jumps and language

Parents insidous is considered "the scariest movie since the excorsist" which means this film is scary. Even though this and the sequel are PG13 there both terrifying. The story starts off with a family moving in. They switch houses when ghostly images and things start popping up. Then after it doesn't change. Those images are still comming up. After Dalten (their son) gets into a "coma" because of ghostly things. After they get ghost experts who try solving the problem. But results end up with deaths,some blood,language,and a terrifying twist the last few minutes of the film. First off this film HAS MANY JUMP SCENES SO MUCH I CANT EVEN TELL YOU HOW MANY THERE ARE. So if your kids or teens are sensitive with jump scenes then please PASS. Images are also lurking at people several times and appear in the background or our heard in noises. And there even a place called the further which is completely dark. Were several ghosts pop out and try attacking. Violence isn't to strong because the freighting imagery is what holds up. Violence is moderate with yelling,fighting with souls,and some blood. Blood is only shown twice in minor ways with a bloody handprint shown several times. And a little extra blood. Language is mild with s*it,w*ore,damn,hell,crap,and one use of f*ck when characters are talking about their new life as a family. Some drinking is also shown but nothing much. Violence: 3/5: violence that's physically isn't bad there's attacks,yelling,fighting with both humans and souls,and a few deaths but are mostly off screen. Mild blood. Frightening/scary moments: 5/5: this is the scariest film in decades. And there are MANY JUMP SCENES (atleast 30) imagery also pops up in the back and some shocking moments do come up. Please be warned the graphics are also terrifying. And there is a very creepy song (tip toe through the tulips) played in a very creepy way a couple times in the film. Some blood also. Language: 3/5: s*it is used several times! a demon calls a women a b*tch and wh*re. Other language includes one unnessicsry f*ck,crap!hell,and damn Drinking: 2.5/5: some wine and beer is drank. Smoking atleast once also in the film Sex: 2/5: though it's not strong once scene involves a creepy demon French kissing one of the main characters thats a girl. Some passonate kissing and in the beginning their about to have sex but are interrupted. Hugging also but nothing else besides that. SUGGESTED MPAA RATING(S): PG13 for frequent strong terror,disturbing images,some violence,language Or.. (An equivalent rating) R for Terror,disturbing images
Teen, 13 years old Written bykyle_the_killer June 28, 2014

Common Sense Media says 15 and up? Insidious isn't even as scary as you think. I promise.

Don't get me wrong, I love this movie, but it's really not a 'terrifying movie.' This movie is honestly quite strange :/ There's also some things left unexplained but they'll get explained in Insidious: Chapter 2. The 'demon' in this movie is not scary at all...he just looks like a little monster with a little red and black makeup. Yes, this movie gives you a very creepy vibe, but it's not horrifying. The second one is horrifying...and it's SO much better than the first Insidious. Again, I find this movie good, and interesting, but not at all too scary. You should be fine watching this if you're a teenager.
Teen, 15 years old Written byYpseru June 19, 2014

Really good, but a little scary

To be honest, this movie isn't too scary, a few occasional jump scares, but that's about it. This movie is a really good horror movie, there's just some violence, and it's just scary. I'd say mature 14 and older.
Kid, 10 years old June 16, 2014

SCARE CRAP OUT OF ME

I saw it was I was 5 and that was a bad decision my three year old brother watched and had no idea what was going he just got freaked out because it was scary. I mean I'm aloud to see the one pg-13 poltergeist but I don't know if I will. I would imagine blood prints on my bed. Listen if your just watching to be cool don't do it. Besides the Scary stuff it was still a bad movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2014

By far the scariest movie I have ever seen!

Okay, let me just say first of all: THIS MOVIE IS VERY SCARY AND THIS IS THE SCARIEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN. In my opinion, this movie IS scarier than 'The Conjuring', 'The Exorcist', 'The Ring', 'Sinister' etc. Second - violence: This movie is not that violent actually. The ending is kind of, though. That is the most violent scene in the movie. But then, there are bloody handprints, PG-9 level violence, except the ending, that is a PG-13. (I just made the PG-9 rating up) Third - language: This movie has strong language. Some of them are said by the kid, but we only hear it from a man (It's kind of hard to explain). All bad language contain 2 f--k's, 1 w---e, 1 b---h, and more, which I don't actually remember. Then - sexual content: This movie has NOTHING to do with that. Although, we see the parents chatting in bed, then kissing, but NOTHING sexual happens. Then, there is a scene where a woman is sexually assaulted, but it only lasts for 2 seconds. Consumerism: An apple laptop is seen, and also, a man is seen with an iPhone, but we don't see the apple logo, it's just obvious. Overall, this movie has PG-level, except the ending and all the terror and intense scenes. SHOULD be okay with 12+
Teen, 13 years old Written byMr SheMan April 14, 2014

Insidious

Insidious is a great movie, that satisfies both those who want to watch a good-quality film with solid storytelling and likeable characters, and those who simply want to be scared. There are no positive messages here, nor are there any particularly strong role models. The sexual content and drinking/drugs/smoking content are minimal (if existent at all), and I didn't notice any major consumerism in the film. There is not too much inappropriate language either, except for one use of 'f*ck' and a couple of other, milder words. The movie chooses to focus more on scares than violence, but there are some bloodless fights where characters battle demons during the film, as well as a scene where a woman is strangled to death. Overall, despite an unrealistic third act, Insidious is one of the smartest and creepiest horror movies in some time and I highly recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAli_0220 April 14, 2014

Mostly Appropriate

I'm a 13 year old girl, and this was my first horror movie. I recommend this movie ONLY IF your 12+ child is already involved in the horror genre. Insidious concentrates on fear of darkness and he unknown, and uses terrifying and haggard characters to portray it. It is full of jump scares, and those under 12 may be frightened by the fact that it involves a young child who deals with these thinners without his family. Finally, I recommend watching this with another person. I am still jumpy and paranoid after 2 days. On the subject of swearing, the f-word is used once, but besides that it doesn't go much farther than saying the h-word once in a while.