All member reviews for Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Talky, tame original sci-fi study in paranoia.

Age

Kid, 12 years old June 13, 2010

A Venerable Inception

Perspective is what makes this film worthwhile; by perspective, I mean that, at the time, the Red Scare was receding, but was still very real for many Americans all across the country. This film symbolized that blatant fear in more prospects than the singular, the main idea being that the merits of communism, would convert every free-thinking human being into a mindless automaton. In a contemporary sense, this film still holds emotional weight, as the characters imagined during the plot itself form a bond with you, as well as with one another, forcing you to care about the imminent calamity that would strike their own small town and, eventually, the entire planet.
Parent of a 9, 10, 10, and 12 year old Written byDoc Kaos October 4, 2010

Great for all ages.

A great old black and white sci-fi movie that can be watched by almost any age. A great conversation starter for those semi-deep conversations kids love. How do we know the cat is really the cat we started with!?
Teen, 14 years old Written bycoolkid394 June 23, 2014

Sci-fi classic low on gore and heavy on suspense.

This movie is a beloved sci-fi classic. Like most of the other sci-fi movies of the fifties, this movie is low on gore, sex and language and it is harmless. But however this movie was not intended for younger kids. It could make them paranoid and fear that other people are aliens. The plot may also be too complicated for a younger kid to understand. The movie does have some good role models however. A man tries to warn other people of the aliens and he tries to save them.
Parent Written bydminer July 25, 2009

zombie night with the family ;)

1955 scary is not scary for kids in 2009 -- my 8 yr old says "it's cool and i liked it. it wasn't scary" - though i had to explain a bit more of the action- and my 10 yr old (who picked it out off the dvd shelf ) liked it even more. since they've seen so many 'zombie' stories on kids cartoons, i was able to call it 'the first zombie movie' so it had some context in their world.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 November 23, 2011

THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE 1978 REMAKE. Very graphic for a PG rating.

My rating: PG-13 [borderline with R] for some disturbing images, nudity, violence and gore. Positive Messages & Role Models: 0.5/5 - Very few can even remotely be considered positive. Violence: 4/5 - Infrequent (unless you count the pervasive discussion), but when it comes up, it's intense. Most noticeably, disturbing and gross images of bodies wrapped in foam; and a scene in which a man graphically axes through the head of a man who has been abducted, with blood shown. Sex: 3.5/5 - Bodies wrapped in foam show exposed breasts, though not graphically. Also, in the last few scenes, a woman walks around completely nude, and we see her from the waist up. Milder examples, also, such as a few brief kisses. Language: 1.5/5 - Nothing stands out. Consumerism: 0/5 - No problem. Drinking & Drugs: 1/5 - Nothing noticeable.