All member reviews for Iron Man 3

Fewer playboy antics, but still plenty of violence.

Adult Written byVoicetek May 5, 2013

Not Kid Friendly

I'm a 32 year old male who loves superhero/action movies. I'm a big fan of Marvel and the previous Iron Man movies. However, I was really disappointed with this movie. I was kind of hoping that since Disney bought Marvel and are advertising these movies on the kid-friendly Disney Channel and selling products in the Disney Store, that these newer Marvel movies would be slightly more family friendly. I can definitely say that this movie is worse and less kid/family friendly than the others. The first thing I noticed was how much language there was in this movie. 95% of the bad language was completely unneccasary and by the end of the movie it just started to feel like they were throwing it around just to use it. One that that really shocked me was when Tony Stark told a 12 year old boy that he was acting like a "p*ssy" for being upset over his dad leaving. Really Disney? This movie also was the first Iron Man and Marvel movie to introduce religious profanities. The use of the words *od dam* was used in this movie. There was also a lot of sexuality and drinking. This movie was also a lot heavier on violence. This movie showed real people blowing up, catching on fire, being shot, murdered, people falling from planes, beat up, broken and and bloodied and lots more. Honestly, I was kind of done with the movie about half way through. It just really bothered me that Disney would consciously market this type of a movie to children and families. Sure, I understand that this is a Marvel movie and probably meant to be more of an adult oriented film, so please stop marketing this film to children. Even without all the negatives, I feel that this movie didn't even really live up to the previous two. I was kind of bored and the movie seemed to go on longer than it needed. Overall a big disappointment. Parents, think twice before taking your children to see this movie. The language alone is bad enough and the violence is ever worse. Sad to see that this is the direction Disney and Marvel are taking with these films.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywestonyoung May 3, 2013

Disturbing, again I will say, disturbing

I'll be honest. It wasn't good. As I walked in the theater, I was so pumped for the Friday night premiere. But, I will say, almost the whole movie was just REALLY DISTURBING. Language wasn't as bad this time, but still a problem. But the violence was ridiculous. Most of it wasn't even exciting violence, it was just grossly unsettling violence that very few kids would like. The scenes with the Mandarin (that's the bad guy) were horrible. With scary flashing images, and of course, the live murders. In one scene, he just kills someone and has it broadcasted across the country. It was extremely disturbing. I think Common Sense made this sound much less gruesome than it really was. The violence was WAY WORSE than Common Sense claimed. In fact, there's several scenes involving people being killed for no reason. As Common Sense said, even Tony Stark himself kills random security guards in an almost glamorous way, as if it's cool or fun. And, of course there's the creepy demon-looking people the Mandarin uses that appear frequently throughout the movie. It's as if the producers of this film wanted the audience to feel creeped out the entire time. And there's lots of scary scenes involving fire. Of course, there were some heroic scenes, and those were great, but the stuff in between was horrible. And, it didn't teach me any sort of lesson, no positive role models except maybe Colonel Rhodes. I'd skip it. Don't take young kids. It wasn't good. I didn't like it and you probably won't either.
Kid, 12 years old May 3, 2013

My New 3nd Favorite Suprehero Movie

The Avengers is #1. Green Lantern is #2. Like the others, there's plenty of action, and some swearing. There's less predictabality, some surprises, and some funny lines from Tony Stark. I have a feeling this will be a box office smash. UPDATE: Now it is a box office smash. And I'm tired of the overprotective parents. There are many PG 13 movies that are just as bad as this. I thought I Am Legend was a little disturbing, but this was NOT DISTURBING AT ALL! But it might be for kids under 9 or 10.
Parent Written byHopeful Pa January 2, 2014

Our Culture is Broken

This was the first time for us that this website was completely misleading and off the mark. To be clear: we enjoyed The Avengers and even the first Iron Man, and I respect the actors Don Cheadle and Ben Kingsley, who are glimmers of humanity here. But who is this movie for? I'm not sure which I loathed more: the depraved conceptions of violence beyond that of the comic book variety, the grandiose and monstrously bad script that seemed written by a zombie-loving algorithm, the misrepresentations of an anxiety disorder seemingly surmountable by a child's snarky suggestion, the completely incompetent president, the ambiguous motivations of veterans as minions, the enormous waste of talent and money, or the utter pointlessness of this decadent project except to nudge the Marvel corporate plan inexorably forward. The cold-blooded killing of the geneticist was particularly uncalled for in reaching for fresh depictions of evil. To market the "Marvel universe" to young boys borders on the criminal. Leave our boys alone. I mean it. Corporate filmmaking at its worst.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bymibb May 3, 2013

Darker and more violent than previous two films

The previous film (Iron Man 2) is my 5-year-old's favorite movie, so I had hoped to bring him to this one. No dice. Often the age suggestions on CommonSense feel too high, but in this case I agree that 13 is appropriate. This film is darker and more serious than the previous two Iron Man films. There are several scenes of grownups talking about mature themes, including terrorism, in a way that will scare, baffle, or simply bore younger kids. There are also several moments where things are not as they seem, which I know my kids would not be able to follow. Most significantly to me, a lot of real people get shot and killed. Compare that to the robot-against-robot fighting of Iron Man 2. If you're trying to moderate your kids' ingestion of violence, I'd suggest seeing this film first to judge for yourself whether your kids are ready.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byLongstride May 3, 2013

A little too much for young minds...

This is obviously not aimed at young kids (PG 13?) but every little boy from say 5 and up loves superhero's and with all the toy/game tie in's that are out there, it's guaranteed that every kid is going to want to see this. My son who is 9 was jumping out of his skin to see this movie IE: "Dad,dad dont forget IM3 is starting Friday, I want to see it sooo much please, please!" etc... We went to a 3D screening at 5PM, we lasted 20 mins, honestly it is too much for kids younger than say 11. The movie has the ususal action hero violence but also an element of Horror/Thriller that is a little too much for young minds. My little guy ended up in almost a state shock after the "exploding man" at Mann's Chinese theatre. It looks like it's a great ride but too much of the Horror/Thriller trip for the young ones...you have been alerted!!
Parent of a 13 and 14 year old Written bypatriciaHSP May 25, 2013

Graphically violent - people killing people.

This movie is far too graphic for young teens/tweens. It's graphically violent, with people killing people. In one scene the audience sees the villain come up behind another person and snap his neck. In another, the audience sees Killian shoot a woman at point blank. Tony Stark maliciously hurts others and there's no purpose to it. The violence and mature content warrant an 'R'. There are several scenes with women in only their underwear, and several scenes show degrading behavior towards women, such as the completely unnecessary scene that depicts a woman who is drugged-up, strewn on a couch. The language was deplorable, and I grew tired of Tony Stark's arrogant, insensitive, and flippant attitude about 10 minutes into it. As a parent of young teen boys, I was very disappointed and outraged that this movie is being marketed (by Disney) to young boys. Definitely adults only.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bylhc May 6, 2013

Awesome Movie for Kids

I thought this was a really, really good movie. Kids might find this movie confusing if they haven't watched the Avengers because it's a continuation of that movie. Kids should know that this movie really, really violent. It's funny at times also though. I thought that this was the best movie I've ever seen and I would recommend it to viewers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Joe Age 9)
Parent Written byDan G. May 4, 2013

It's too bad that Hollywood keeps selling sex to kids

This movie might have been passable for a younger crowd, but the hero is now living with his girlfriend. "If that's good enough for Iron Man and his woman, it must be good enough for me", is what the tween group may be thinking by the end of this movie. It is very clear that they are sleeping together, and there is sexual activity strongly suggested. Other than that, the film is fairly violent, and some of the language is not befitting children, profanity, rude and crude language occasionally is uttered.
Educator and Parent Written byDani The Persian Guy May 3, 2013

Last Night's Film

I watched this movie last night at the theaters with a friend. This film does show some positive messages to kids to be morally good as in to fight against evil but apart from that there were things that should not be shown to kids at a younger because it might be weird to them and might spark to a new curiosity to discover. The film is part of a franchise of two other films and a related film all together. I would highly advise that the child to be at least 13 years of age and could tell what roles men and women play in reality. The violence might seem disturbing to a few but some parts of the film is a bit comedic.
Teen, 16 years old Written bypatilly100 May 3, 2013

Let-down from Common Sense Media

I come to Common Sense Media just about everytime I want to watch a movie. My family's number one rule is: 'If it has 'Gd' in it, then we don't watch it.' So since Iron Man 3 came out, we were all excited to see it and so we looked at Common Sense Media. Not ONCE did it say that 'Gd' was in the movie. That said, we were VERY shocked and VERY disappointed that it was, in fact, in the movie. We are all also very disappointed that Common Sense Media did NOT state ONCE that the movie contained such a curse word. I think this site has lost some of our trust, but hey, in this world, you can hardly trust anyone. Besides that, if you don't want your kids to be influenced by another kid using curse words, there is a scene where a 10-ish year old boy uses h***.
Parent of a 13, 16, and 20 year old Written byshelly2121 August 14, 2013

over sexualized trash

This is just a sad example of how to ruin a great marvel comic. The sex and womanizing is throughout the entire movie, what an example for the little girls out there. Bikini and beauty contests, women high on drugs laying on a couch, women in underwear, 2 women in bed awaiting one man. Horrible & disgusting. WHY can't they make a great hero movie without all this raunchy sex stuff that exploits women? Man of steel made a great movie without all that trashy stuff. Parents, don't take your kids, and in fact, I'd skip this movie altogether unless I was a lonely bachelor who needed to watch half naked women because I couldn't get one of my own :) lol
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarvelNerd14 July 28, 2013

Good movie

I've seen all Iron Man movies, and I'm one of the few who think it was the best one. Tony Stark was just, overall, a better person. I was very shocked at the amount of violence and language. The language was not as bad as some movies, but it was worse than any Marvel movie that I've seen. It's just unnecessary. As for the violence, well, it's pretty much non-stop. The whole thing is an in-your-face movie. People are constantly getting shot, bombed, thrown out of aircraft, things like that. And a lot of the shootings occur on-screen, and although it's bloodless, it's still pretty graphic. The Mandarin is a disturbing character, as he murders people on live broadcasts on every TV in the world. The people affected by Extremis have a disturbing, almost zombie-like appearance, something that could give a younger kid nightmares for days. I would definitely not recommend anyone under 13 seeing this. My parents haven't seen any of the Marvel movies, and let me tell you, if they'd have seen this first, it would have been a solid no for me to go see it. But, if you like violent action movies, I'm sure you'd like Iron Man 3.
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2013

Iron Man 3: A Movie Mix of good and bad

Note: Parents of kids younger then 13 DON"T let them see this movie. There is a great moral to this movie, far less playboy activity then the last one. This movie is way darker then the last two. It is way two intense for young kids. Wait for it on DVD and buy it. The two worse parts in it are: In the trailers their is a trailer for the upcoming R-rated horror movie called The Purge that was terrible. Also Tony Stark said to a twelve-year-old to stop acting like a little p*ssy over his father leaving him.
Parent of a 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byshemack321 May 10, 2013

Wait until it comes on video so that you can fast-forward through parts not suitable for 12 and under.

My family (kids ages 10 - 15) loves a good action movie, so we splurged on seeing Iron Man 3 in the movie theater. I have to say that I felt very uncomfortable as a mom in this movie. Some scenes were too violent on a deeper level. Terrorism was a threat throughout most of the movie. Fantasy is a great genre because it is far-fetched, and although it may be scary, you know it could never happen. This movie hit on topics that are scary and real. On a positive note, I liked the message Stark gave to one of the bad guys (girl, actually) that she was in contrast to Pepper because Pepper still "had her soul". Another lesson that it taught my kids was never give the bad guys your home address!!!
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byTeacher Mom101 May 4, 2013

Not for the under 10s

My nine year old did NOT hang with this movie----peril from about a half hour in, til the end. My hubs had to take her out just "when it was getting good", as she was covering her eyes AND ears by then. PG-13 FOR SURE, if your child is sensitive to peril and/or violence.
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 4, 2013

Nice way to start the summer movies of 2013!

This movie was a nice descent way to get Marvel fans, like myself, excited to see the continuing story of our metaled hero! As always, the special effects are great! Although I do admit: There is a surprise between the middle and end of the movie that may shock Marvel fans (The villain, Mandarin, may not be what you expected. You'll see!). So put simply, this movie is a little bit different than the first 2 Iron Man movies. Good thing Tony is still funny! So yeah, I recommend this movie to all Marvel fans! There's references to the events of The Avengers throughout, including after the credits!
Teen, 15 years old Written byNapoleon15 August 9, 2013

A rotten mess

Rarely have I seen such a grotesque and hideous film as Iron Man 3. The Avengers set a high bar for the Marvel franchise, it was an outstanding success became the third highest grossing film in cinema history. I am aware that the Marvel films are not to be taken seriously, these are supposed to be fun guy flicks with lots of action and witty one liners. That does not mean however, that every female character is either barely clad, about to have sex, or just had sex. The objectification of woman in this film is extraordinary. What’s more they have no brains. Those that have lines are all damsels in distress. Second, the violence. One gets the feeling that Director and screenwriter Shane Black wanted to bring the franchise to the level of Christopher Nolan’s Batman Trilogy. Shane therefore injects all sorts of violence towards innocent people, including a bombing in a city area, incredibly disrespectful due to the recent Boston incident. None of these events achieve the realism of Nolan’s dark villains, and just makes the film quiet idiotic. A total let down and a stain on the Avengers franchise.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa July 29, 2013

Not about the violence

I went in with high hopes - Robert Downey Jr. is Robert Downey Jr., and he's just such a good actor. Unfortunately, even his comedy couldn't make up for movie. The villain and all of his henchmen seemed like an incredibly far-out bad guy army (regenerative, demonic, fire-spewing cyborgs that get killed in random ways that are never explained). That was the worst for me, but the whole plot seemed a little weak to me...and WHY, pray tell, did he **SPOILER ALERT** blow up all of his suits? I understand the reasoning behind it, but really? The fact that the villains can regenerate suggests that they might not all have been dead, and simple common sense should check that out before you go and blow up your only weapon. Also, he's not Iron Man anymore. He's Tony Stark, and I was disappointing also with the lack of selflessness he was supposedly to have gained during the Avengers. Tony still acted like a real jerk to everyone around him. And Iron Man is supposed to be so fantastic - so he needs an armada of suits behind him to rescue Pepper Potts, while Don Cheadle (Colonel Rhodes) carried away the day by rescuing the President in jeans and a polo shirt, armed with only a handgun. I felt like Tony was really weak. The acting was good, though, for the most part. It was a very violent movie for Marvel, and I was surprised at the amount of dead bodies, not to mention the method in which many people were killed (bombings, burnings, electrocution, point blank range, etc.) No kid needs to see a woman strung on an electrical wire, or someone blow someone else's head of with a gun. Do. Not. Bring. Your. Children. I noticed people have been saying it is not violent at all, and that kids five can watch it. While you know what's best for your children, its not just the violence - the bad guys are terrifying. Their eyes frequently glow red, they blow fire, they blow up and then piece themselves back together. It's a demonic phenomena that I would not recommend letting children watch if you value your night's sleep. I think children should be allowed to keep their innocence a little longer than five, and even if they don't understand what's going on in the movie, there's no reason that they need to see an image of The Mandarin shooting someone in the head. Isn't the real world violent enough? The movie is a popcorn flick that I would watch again but wish I hadn't spent my money on.
Kid, 10 years old June 16, 2013

PLEASE READ!!! MUST KNOW FOR YOUNGER KIDS!!!

i have seen this movie twice and I enjoyed it much. My favorite super hero is Batman so i never knew what all of the other super heroes were like. I have no experience at all with Iron Man. I thought that the movie wasn't just about well Iron Man. Aldrige Killian (Guy Pearce) has made an ejection gone bad when he accidentally makes demons and starts going on a killing spree. They're are a few scenes of mildly scary parts for younger kids in this movie. In one part of the movie a guy who was supposedly captured gets shot in the head apparently over all televisions in the world. It tells about many bombs and shootings all over the world. There are a few words like (d*ck,ass,goddamn,p*ssy,) If i were an adult with kids i would take them when they are ten ore maybe older depending on your own style and opinions. Thank you very much for taking your time to read my review.