All member reviews for Iron Man

Great action, lots of style, some iffy stuff.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byChris01 September 10, 2009

Parents should be more careful reguarding the media they select for their children

Us parents, tend to be too liberal when it comes to making decisions reguarding movies our children should watch. I have noticed a reviewer ( even though he/she is only twelve) saying: " I've seen more violent movies than this", as if this argument makes it ok to go against what the experts say regarding violence for young children. Before being informed about ratings and age appropriate media for children, I let my 7 year old watch this movie. Now that I am informed ( after a huge amount of research) I can say that I regret letting my son watch it. I don't care what a turn around "Playboy" tony had towards the end of a movie. He is shown in bed with a stranger ( and I don't want anyone giving me ANY crap that they did not show anything. REGARDLESS, you do not need to show the whole sex scene for the child to subconsciously comprehend that tony just had an "adventure" with that reporter only to have left her dumped in his room to be escorted by his secretary and to make things worse, to not even have remembered her name when he encountered her again. Parents, may I remind you not to judge the sexual and violent scenes according to the 30+ years you have been living, but, instead, according to the kind of scenes a child should be exposed to? May I remind parents that children MUST be exposed to good role models of masculine and femenine behavior. It doesn't matter that Tony had a turnaround in his life. The problems he had were on an adult level. Problems should be more at the child's reality. If it does not, I think that is a clear indicator that the movie is inappropriate. For example, can it be possibly good for an 8 or 9 year old to learn from a Playboy bandit turn good? The problem he turned away from is by far, ages away from youngsters realities.
Adult Written bybeachgrl123 April 9, 2008

Too Intense and Violent

I took my 3 kids 14, 12, 8 to see it thinking it would be somewhat like Transformers. Much more of a older teen movie!! My two younger ones and older daughter watched the movie with their eyes covered through many of the blow up scenes. One scene shows a middle eastern soldier holding a gun to a father and the kids begging for him not to be killed. That was barely a second in the beginning but I thought was awful. Too much violence and too intense for little kids I think. This movie is better for 15-17 year olds. I hate how the trailers make it look so "cool" and then you get there and it is much more violent than you would expect.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner March 21, 2011

Superhero fans will have a field day with this movie

Action packed with lots of suspensful scenes. I enjoyed it. parent's may not like the cursing and how the film potrays Tony Stark (Iron Man) as a sexual based person in some scenes.
Adult Written byPinget April 9, 2008

Very upsetting

I completely disagree with the reviews of this movie in the press. I am 37 and I found it very upsetting. The first part of the movie has an incredible body count - perhaps 100 Afghanis. Part of my reaction may also have been disgust with the audience I saw it with. Violence is never funny, yet they took every Afghani death as a punchline, especially the one who is killed by his own ricocheting bullet. (Had I been on my own, I was ready to leave at that point.) The audience seemed to feel Afghani deaths were funny, but when white people die - now that's serious! Until the scene later in the movie where a father is almost shot in front of his wife and kids. Then they got it. There are many parts of the movie that seem to be a comment on the Iraq war; one of the very first scenes is an IED attack on a convoy. We get to see this from within and without - wrenching either way. This movie contains the sort of violence you would only encounter in a war zone. There is no way our children should become accustomed to this level of violence. Do not take kids to see this. If I could erase it from my head, I would.
Written byAnonymous September 10, 2014

COOL

Adult Written by4Spice October 22, 2009

great classic 10 and up

awesome movie worth watching great actors too mild violence barley any sex at all 10 and up is fine for you familys with kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 April 24, 2011

Awesome!

This movie was great! It's different (and personally, better) than the series. But there is a lot of violence (though not as much as some other PG-13 films), which mostly includes shooting, lasers, etc. There is a bit of sex. In one scene, a man and a women (unmarried) are shown tumbling off the bed, implying sex. Some language, like h-ll. Some drinking. But it's a really good movie, and it isn't an edgy PG-13.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byBelloftheBall August 12, 2009

Some "real life" violence, but a very intense movie with a good underlying message

As with my general train of thought, you know your kids, you decide. My 8 year old loves this movie. some parts of it hit alittle to close to home, regarding the terrorists, but on the other hand, I feel thats what made this movie something "deeper" then other "out there" sci fi movies. Mild sexual references, some language and smoking/drinking..nothing more then kids see nowadays. I clicked good role models, as Tony Stark turns his life around from a boozing womanizer to someone intent on helping others. Robert Downey Jr. was excellent in this movie..
Adult Written bylsdgls August 8, 2009

Kid, 10 years old August 23, 2010

Violence (R): Lots of strong weaponary combat. Sexual Content (PG-13) One scene of sex. Language (PG-13): Mild profanity. Drugs/Tobacco/Alchohol (PG): Tony is a playboy with a taste for alchohol.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written byrico1112 May 15, 2010

Enjoyable movie with some troubling violent scenes

I really enjoyed the movie. The story and special effects were excellent though the body count was fairly high. There was really no need for the bedroom scene - though brief, it was not innocent nor necessary for the story. I was kind of surprised that there wasn't some product placement at that point though - it seems like a missed opportunity (grin). The violence was excessive, though not from Iron Man himself. A disturbing violent scene occurred in a village where a group of armed thugs was conducting what could only be identified as terrorist activities. In this particular scene unarmed civilians were chased down and murdered in their homes by gunfire and explosives. Another scene occurs when a group of men, belonging to the aforementioned thugs, are gunned down by a security force while they were unarmed and on their knees. I agree with the age recommendation as long as the child is watching it with a parent.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byjsmartinson July 23, 2009

It took me two hours to calm down after watching this intensely violent and disturbing film and I usually like action films. I certainly would not allow my 6 or 8-year old to watch it. I follow the MPAA ratings and always check commonsensemedia.org, but in this case, I would wait until they are 17.
Kid, 12 years old April 21, 2009

Perfect Movie for the Marvel Wizards

Violence is comic book explosions, nothing to worry about. Brief suggestive content but so quick nothing is shown.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

good 10+

Some making out and tumbling about in bed (partially clothed woman); dance suggestively (a stripper pole is present but not used) Some flirting. Mild sexually suggestive language. Very mild swearing.Alcohol is consumed frequently; one character enjoys a cigar, albeit mostly as a prop. Extensive, constant sci-fi action and war violence. Characters (including kids) are held at gunpoint; adult villagers are rounded up by bad guys and separated from their kids; wounded characters bleed; people perish in explosions or at the hands of weapons; Iron Man's armor shoots energy rays, micro-missiles, and, in an early version, flames -- all of which are used as weapons (the flame throwers result in some massive fireballs). Characters in high-tech power armor have impressive, super-powered fistfights.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

I liked this movie. Mostly fluff and good hearty action. Oldest enjoyed it. Good fun.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 7, 2010

good movie but violent

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byCountryMom27 May 9, 2010

Another adult movie targeted to little ones

Not appropriate for the under 10 crowd, and questionable for pre-teens. A good adult movie, very entertaining, but frustrating for parents as all of the marketing is directed toward the little ones and yet they cannot watch it.
Adult Written bygamenerd323 November 12, 2009

Good for a mature person that loves movies!

This great classic is a must own, I do not know anyone that doesn't love this movie. But it shows realestic views of war time and child peril the violence is gruesomly realestic and not for the faint of heart.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleboy July 8, 2009

Did I Miss Something?

"Iron Man" was a good movie. Robert Downey, Jr. and Gwenyth Paltrow are very good. The action is good. The plot is original. But, despite the hype, it's no masterpiece. I feel like everyone I know saw a different movie than I did, and here's why: despite the actors, the characters feel slightly one-dimensional, the 'villain' element to the plot is laughable and feels like an afterthought, and finally, it just didn't feel profound. It's better than some summer action movies (Transformers 2, Indiana Jones 4), but isn't nearly as good as others (Watchmen, The Dark Knight). I don't want it to seem like I hated the film, just that it's not all that it's cracked up to be. The content is fairly mild, save for some action violence and witty sexual innuendos.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeastside01 June 11, 2009

Iron Man will deliver.

Iron Man is an exhilarating action film from Robert Downey Jr. and has a good story and characters. everyone will enjoy it.