All member reviews for It's a Wonderful Life

This classic delivers warmth all year long.

Parent of a 11 year old Written bylizruest December 23, 2009

Reassure first-time viewers

We thought our 11-yr-old was ready for it, but he questioned the suicide theme, and the scene where George gets hit and his ear bleeds. He liked it in the end, but was disturbed several times at our choice! As adults, we tend to wrap it in the good feelings from the end of the movie, but a first-time young viewer may need reassurance.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaidanqm1996 August 23, 2009
I hate black and white movies. Good message though.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion November 2, 2008

One of the best holiday movies ever!

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is, and always will be, one of the best holiday movies. The strong message of being thankful and living life to the fullest never ceases to inspire. You're always rooting for George Banks to see how precious his life really is. As the film opens, you hear a voice in the stars (supposedly God) speaking to another star named Clarence. He tells Clarence that he must go down to Earth to save George, who is about to take God's most precious gift (life). We then see the events of George's life played out, up to the point where Clarence, his charming guardian angel, must show him how great his life really is. And the only way to do this...show him what life would be like if he never were born. The overall theme of suicide is tense but not scary. There is no violence or language. Sex is very minor, with no sex, but when George and his soon-to-be wife are playing, she runs and her robe gets snagged in a bush. She then hides in the bush (we hear her voice) and is presumably nude (but we don't see anything at all). It's a great movie. Watch it if you can.
Kid, 12 years old December 22, 2010

Great for just about all ages if you think they could follow it

This is a great classic Christmas movies that you should show your kids. I gave it a 9 + just because you younger kids might get bored, and might not follow it.
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2013

AWESOME TOUCHING MOVE!!!

It is a wonderful movie! I watch it every Christmas and make cookies! There is not much violence only a bit because the guy gets punched in the ear and lip. There is a really cute guy named Terrence and he is a super cute angle and almost everybody likes him! It may be hard for people under 6 to really understand. It is one of my most favorite movies and I think you people would enjoy it. Hope this helps!
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviefan115 March 14, 2012

A Great Christmas Movie

One of my favorite movies ever. It just has a wonderful story and it has a wonderful message about life. Great acting and directing. The ending always gives me tears of joy. :)
Written byAnonymous December 19, 2012

This movie is Rated PG by the MPAA.

MPAA Rated this Rated PG for thematic elements, smoking and some violence. in 2012 which is this year. But still this is a good movie. There is Smoking in this movie.
Kid, 8 years old January 1, 2015

pretty good

It was definitely good, but not for nine year olds. I would say at least 10 year olds would be fine. there is drugs and drinking but thats about as bad as it gets. There are good lessons in it and good role models, but violence too. Not for little kids. But a good movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byButlorkitty05 January 3, 2014

Middle teens

There is one disturbing scene of Mr Jones being mean to his worker. Mr John is seen taking prescription pills.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byJazzerGyrl December 16, 2009

A true classic!

We absolutely love this movie in my house. Well, I do! My 9 year old watched it with me all the way through the other night...a little hard for her attention span, but she loved the ending. It has a great message to send to all ages!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 April 6, 2009

4 Stars!

An absoulute classic for the entire family!
Parent Written byPlague December 18, 2009

It's a Wonderful Life

A classic movie the whole family can watch and charish together. 5 stars for sure.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byeldetee March 5, 2009

Kids don't appreciate it!

While there is no objectionable content for kids, my husband and I feel you can't really appreciate this movie until you're a young adult - college age at least. We recently saw it in a vintage theater (fantastic venue for this) with a 9- and 15-year-old and they were both BORED! I would rather have my own kids see it for the first time when they can truly understand and value its message.
Adult Written bysarah91 April 9, 2008

A must see classic!

I love this movie! it's wholesome, great for anyone of any age, great heart-warming messege. I watch it multiple times around Christmas!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKelsey B February 16, 2016

One of my favorite movies

This movie is a classic and has great messages. I say 8+ because there is a little bit of violence and obviously the main character considers suicide.
Educator and Parent Written byfilmviewer January 23, 2016

No doubt excellent but perhaps not for a 7yo

It's definitely a classic and very good film - super acting and great message. But I think it was a bit too intense for my 7yo. The gunshots were not the biggest issue; bigger ones for me were concepts of suicide, cheating, stealing, fistfights, and unkindness. The ideas of being nice, caring for friends and family, honest, and unselfish were already appreciated by my daughter, but I was happy that the film reinforced them. I'd like her to see this again when she's 9 or 10 and won't be scared by parts of it (she closed her eyes a number of times).
Adult Written byUnknown Agent December 28, 2015

Good

Good movie has some mild Violence and brief drinking.
Adult Written byLowe's man February 18, 2015

a wonderful movie indeed

I'd have reservations about letting a child under 10 watch because of the suicidal theme. For those 10 and up, though, this is a movie that they should watch. When George wishes that he'd never been born, Clarence the angel is sent to tell him the positive impact that he's had on his family, his community and people he knows, and how lives changed for the better because of him. At that point George realizes that it's a wonderful life indeed. Essential viewing for 10 and up. Moreover, this movie can be viewed all year.
Adult Written byoctober1985 December 12, 2010
Good movie but drags a bit in the middle
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2015

Too complex

So I don't want anyone to get mad because it's like a classic, but I don't think it is appropriate for kids under 10. The suicide theme might confuse and upset little kids. Also, the movie has lots of scary parts... and the plot line may be confusing to kids because the movie is long and the plot has lots of ups and downs. There will be a happy part, and then you think the movie is over, and then it will get scary. Think twice before watching this with little kids.