All member reviews for It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Halloween isn't complete without this classic.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byJ T November 2, 2010

Doesn't send a good message to young kids on how to treat others with repect.

I've watched this movie classic since I was a child and can't believe the horrible message it's sending out to children on how poorly they treat each other. Name calling and putting each other down terribly bad. Lucy is down right horrible to everyone, including her brother till the very last part of the movie. I'm not sure where the original review of the movie came from but it's not as positive as it seems from the cover. You may not notice it as a child, but you definitely notice it as an adult with your children watching. We actually turned the movie off while watching it with our kids (ages 4 and 6) because of how horrible they treat each other. Bad example, bad message to send to kids. Just because they're the cute Peanuts characters doesn't make it right to degrade each other and put each other down and name call and think they're cute and funny.
Parent Written bymyab October 14, 2010

Can Watch With Any Age Level

My family loves this movie. Great family fun, and one line ("I got a rock") has become family catch phrase. My son wants to dress up in Charlie Brown's poor cut up ghost sheet, my daughter wants to wait for the Great Pumpkin every year, and personally I want to don my own WWI Flying Ace costume. Nothing to worry about here.
Kid, 2 years old December 19, 2011

"you stupid blockhead"

In the 70s/80s this movie was awesome. We let my 3 yr old watch it, and should have pre-screened, as it is just a bunch of kids fighting and taunting and calling each other stupid and blockhead. We won't be watching it again. Plus my son found it a bit boring and hasn't asked to watch it again.
Parent of a 9, 15, and 16 year old Written bymwestjohnson October 13, 2011

It's The Best!

A classic film, it doesn't feel like Halloween without watching this one. My children (and I!) have watched it since they were old enough to be interested in television, and know that the teasing and name calling is part of the cartoon. Although sadly a lot of kids do it in real life, mine do not.
Parent Written byViannaR October 25, 2014

Bullying not for little ones

These Peanuts films are classic and wonderful. However, the bullying scenes are very intense for little ones. The name-calling is brutal for young ones developing a social sensibility. So, I strongly disagree that this is appropriate for four-year-olds.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 27, 2010
Parent of an infant, 4, and 6 year old Written byjmo444 October 26, 2012

peanuts and pumpkins

this is a classic for halloween movie night. my biggest concerns are the amount that the word stupid is used (frequently), and also how to explain to my children why everyone picks on charlie brown, even the people giving out the candy.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byhill_dk October 29, 2010
My husband and I enjoyed watching this holiday classic with our son.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byCarlDG October 16, 2009
It's a classic that it can be passed through generations.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byDogLover in DE October 27, 2011

Good movie--and yes it does have language I don't like

My daughter (6) has watched this since she was 2. She asked us why they use the words stupid and blockhead and we just explained that we don't think it is nice. But it is still a great movie otherwise. This year our son (2) will get to watch also.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byTabernash October 29, 2010
It is wonderful to see us continue a family tradition to watch (and wait for) The Great Pumpkin that I grew up with in my family. Our kids have watched this since they were 2+. The use of stupid and blockhead make us a little uncomfortable with the little ones but nothing to make a stink over.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 16 year old Written bylauradavis723@m... February 28, 2016

Family fun with some insults

This is a wholesome, family movie. Nothing you should beware except two words that are insulting and not nice-- like "blockhead."
Adult Written byMichael Loughrie February 14, 2016

Fun and Friendly--- and a poor film

There are so many problems with this movie. The first thing I remember about this movie is its plot. Charlie wants to find this "great pumpkin" that doesn't come out. The animations are dated for a 2000 film. More importantly the fact it's a 2D film. Where is 3D? The movie also has a big problem with dialog. Poor lines like "Wow! Nice costume!" Those aren't very creative at all. It's unoriginal. The characters are the same. It's just a poor film. Bad and just a waste of time.
Adult Written byLowe's man October 19, 2014

a Halloween treat

Whether you have children or not, you just get memories watching this again and again. While parts of this special will frighten some children under 4, others under 4 will not be frightened even the least little bit. All the fun of Halloween. Snoopy's journey as a World War I flying ace is the best part of all. In fact, when Linus thought he saw The Great Pumpkin he really saw Snoopy. This will bring back memories of imaginary people (or creatures) that many of us "knew" when we were younger. The only thing that I'd change is that Charlie Brown should've gotten candy or money instead of rocks. After all, he was in costume, so no one was supposed to know that it was him. But again, this was only the 3rd Charlie Brown special. Had more been made before that Charlie Brown may well have gotten a "real" treat, just for a plot twist if for no other reason. This is one that can and should be passed down to each new generation.
Kid, 4 years old November 11, 2011

Too many unkindnesses that I didn't remember

I was so excited to show this classic to my girls! And then, every other word out of Lucy's mouth was "stupid". I have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and I don't want them talking like that at all. Why is it acceptable at all? It teaches kids it is ok to be unkind and the world doesn't need more unkindness.
Educator Written bymaddox121 August 25, 2015

watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every October 31st watch it!! I've got a rock is funny.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimboTheErradicator December 14, 2013

Not for kids

The word "blockhead" is used, among other bullying. Linus and Sally have constant sexual innuendo. Violence is shown through halloween costumes and through Snopy's "flying ace" scene.
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2009

Adorable.

Awee Charlie Brown is so cute and funny! It teaches kids how to be good friends and much more. The Halloween special is also very cute because it shows children to have 'spirit' in things, which they need when they get older when children will say things like Santa or the Easter Bunny doesn't exist. I personally do not think stupid, blockhead, or good grief are bad, they're expressions even teachers use. The only serious issue is children may say them to others, as if they were a bully.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycooliobigfart11 October 29, 2011

Okay for Family

This is an okay movie for the whole family to enjoy
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2011

Completes a holiday.

For once, you all are right. All the Peanuts complete a holiday.