Serviceable but forgettable Cruise thriller is very violent.

Kid, 12 years old January 13, 2013

Cool action movie.

Jack Reacher is a boss action movie that is good to see with friends. It is too confusing for anyone under 10 probably. It is also pretty violent. It is about a sniper shooting five random people and an ex military cop getting to the bottom of the mystery. You can see the shooting, and there is also lots of other violent scenes where people are shot or beaten up. But there is no blood or gore. They also say words like f--k, s--t, p---y, pr--k, or b---h once or twice. Overall good movie but not for young kids.
Parent Written bydheads December 27, 2012

Torture threats and deaths a mile a minute

I'm no prude but this movie is extremely violent (and tedious to boot) - my 12 year old was genuinely scared the entire time (e.g., threats of chewing off fingers and other torture). If this were an otherwise fabulous movie with a point this might be excusable, but don't waste your money (or your kid's brain).
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Next Big Thing June 28, 2016

A well-made and often-disturbing thriller with a cool lead performance

Jack Reacher is a very good action thriller written for screen and directed by Academy Award winner Christopher McQuarrie. With this film, McQuarrie shows his talent for directing. His use of close ups to highlight information, and also he also uses his camera to show character non-verbally very well. As for the writing, there are flaws. It begins very well, and the mystery is excellent. However, in between it takes a break, and it becomes boring for a bit. Still, Jack Reacher is still able to come back after the break, and ends with a satisfying end, but still isn't up to par for what the beginning had to offer. The lead performance from Tom Cruise is really good. He may not be as heavy nor as tall as Reacher, but if you put that aside, you will see that Cruise is able to get in this guy's head, and it shows on screen. Tom Cruise really is Jack Reacher. The other performances aren't bad. Rosamund Pike, like Cruise, is able to get into her character's head, and it shows on screen. Richard Jenkins and David Oyelowo both show their tough sides, but there with strength, there is vulnerability. Especially Oyelowo, who shows vulnerability without speaking a word. Joseph Sikora nails his character's helplessness. Werner Herzog has a scary presence, while actually acting like a gentleman. Alexia Fast shows fear very well, and Robert Duvall is pretty eccentric as Martin Cash. Jack Reacher is a violent film. It is never graphic, there is almost no blood. The violence has been toned down for a PG-13 rating, but nevertheless, the violence will be disturbing to some. Jack Reacher is a violent man. He doesn't want to get in trouble, but when in trouble, he will be very violent. The film opens with the murder of five people. Later, the victims's personal stories are revealed. One happens to be a 19 year old girl who was only babysitting a five year old girl, and one happens to be a mother of a young boy. These two deaths can be unsettling for some viewers. In a brief flashback, we see a man being beaten up very badly. This is also disturbing. A scene where someone has to bite their fingers off, a scene with a girl suffocated to death. These are disturbing scenes. There are other violent scenes, but not as disturbing. Reacher takes down five guys in a bar fight. You can see and hear the pain the victims suffer. Reacher kills two guys by hitting one's head on the other, and hurts a guy holding a gun by twisting his fingers. Reacher kills one guy with a rock, and there are a couple other murders. There is a fight scene with a villain and Reacher, and that doesn't end up very pleasantly. In addition to that, there is brief language. The f-word, the b-word, and sh*t is uttered, but there is not a lot of it. Plus there is brief drug use, but I wouldn't worry about that a lot. Some kids under 13 may watch this movie and won't be disturbed by the violence. It really depends on your kid. I would say that in general, if your kid is under 13, this may not be the movie for him.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAudenC August 25, 2015

Jack Reacher

The trailers lead you to believe this is the next Mission Impossible film. In actual fact, this is a compelling, exiting and extremely well written and directed (props to Christopher McQuarrie) mystery with some excellent action sequences. One use of the F word and some violence with blood but not too bad. can be a bit scary intence, especially the nail-biting opener and a scene involving Werner Herzog's character.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 22, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnunay Maheshwari October 22, 2014

@We$oMe

It's a awesome movie. Cruise has acted very well. There is volience but not too much.
Adult Written bykarako July 21, 2014

Should have been rated R.

A bland, sexist, plotless film with non-stop graphic violence and disturbing scenes of torture. Not for kids. I have no idea why this movie is rated PG-13 when other films with mild language and no violence get the same rating.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylimabeanzrule May 22, 2014

WTF was that garbage?!

Enough said.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygree43 March 16, 2014

Good but really intense.

Its a good movie, but I was grinding my teeth the first time I saw it. even though its not gory, its one of those "do whatever we want off-screen type of movies". Overall, a decent action flick.
Kid, 8 years old July 13, 2013

JEALOUS!

My 8 and 11 year old friends saw it in december.THEY WERE 7 AND 11 WHEN THEY SAW IT.VERY JEALOUS!
Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written byNick's Momma May 12, 2013

Not worth the time or the rental fee

This is by far one of the worst movies Tom Cruise has ever made. Every line out of his mouth sounds like it is trying to be a new signature phase. Became so bad that we started making fun of it about half way through.
Parent of an infant, 3, and 6 year old Written byGambleFam May 5, 2013

Good but, PG-13? Really??

Thought this was a good, but tad long, film. Had good action scenes, with a good story which made it even more intriguing to watch. I was glued to the screen. (Notes for parents, as I'm a father of three.) I think there is way to much killing and violence for young eyes. Some brutal killing with people being shot down to a young girl being murdered by a single punch. I'm very surprised that this cleared the PG-13 rating. Overall I actually like the movie. It shows that good does prevail and that if you do wrong and kill you will be tracked down and caught or in this case killed. Tom Cruise did a great job in his roll. I recommend this movie for ADULTS, good story.
Kid, 12 years old March 24, 2013

Jack Reacher

Jack Reacher is a decent movie. There is quite a bit of action but it can be confusing. It has some pretty intense violence, especially at the beggining when a sniper shoots innocent people. There is also a few f-words and s-words, and a little bit of blood.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 January 18, 2013

Fairly good action movie has lots of violence and thrills

Kid, 9 years old January 16, 2013

Me and my dad chose this between "The Impossible", and "Zero Dark Thirty."

Me and my dad Had to choose between these films: "The Impossible", "Zero Dark Thirty", and this. We chose this because dad didn't think "Zero Dark Thirty was appropriate and "The Impossible" didn't fit our schedule. Language: "Sh*t" "F*ck" is used once, "B*tch". Violence: A lot of fighting and shooting, there is a sequence of torture for nothing that a 13/14 year old can't stand. Jack Reacher is a good role-model for kids who wanna become detectives.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatie v January 5, 2013

Okay for 12&13 year olds

I think this movie was really good it was sort of violent in parts but the hunger games were more violent there is some swearing but for a 12 & 13 year old they should be responsible enough
Teen, 13 years old Written bysavannah5677 January 2, 2013

Jack Reacher 13+

I thought this movie was very funny in a serious way. Like the characters weren't trying to be funny but acted funny if you know what i mean. The movie should be okay for ages 13+ but depends on what they can handle. The only part that bothered me was when Jack slowly broke the bad guy's wrist and arm. Another part that was hard was when another bad guy was told to bite his finger off to show loyalty and that he is willing to survive no matter what, though he did not do it. Sex was not a problem in this movie at all. There was a lot of violence and language, and one family was shown to have done drugs. In my opinion Jack Reacher was a very good movie but is not for kids under 12.