All member reviews for Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Clancy-based political thriller has moderate violence.

Age

Teen, 14 years old Written byjmh1000 January 19, 2014

Not too intense

This is one of the first "action" movies in which I really liked the main character. He only kills (wait for it) 2 people in the WHOLE movie. Both of the times he is completely forced to. Their is only two really intense scenes, one in which a man is graphically drowned in a bathtub and another in which a villain threatens to make a women bite on a light-bulb but is stopped at the last second.
Teen, 15 years old Written byironkid21 January 17, 2014

latest Jack Ryan reboot is okay; has its moments...

When I went to the advance screening a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't very fond of it and sort of had a headache during it. This time, I watched it without the headache and...it wasn't so bad. Not a great movie, not a bad one either. The screenplay is pretty messy and sometimes lacking in sense (ex. Jack would not be in that great of condition after being treated after the plane crash), and a lot of the action scenes have too much shaky cam (I will not excuse how horrible the shaky cam is!), but it has some entertaining moments, some really fun action and chase scenes (despite some of the horrible shaky cam), another solid leading role for Chris Pine and another solid supporting role for Kevin Costner! Keira Knightely, while a little bit annoying on one part of the film (if you've guys seen the film, you most likely know what I'm talking about), is decent here and her american accent isn't so bad! Overall, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is not a great film nor a bad one but it's an okay action film with some pretty fun moments and not a bad way to let some time go by...
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 January 18, 2014

Enjoyable even if it's your first jack ryan flick

This was my first Jack Ryan movie, and I enjoyed it very much. Chris pine is Jack Ryan, an previously injured marine who is recruited by the CIA to stop a Russian terrorist plot to destroy the U.S. economy. This movie, to me, was almost flawless. Towards the middle of the movie many scenes lacked action and concentrated to much on conversation and other minor details. Which was important, but was a little excessive. Anyway, when it has it's action it is thrilling and intense with some top notch acting from Chris Pine, Kiera Knightley, Kevin Costner, Kenneth Baragnah (however you spell it), e.t.c. Very enjoyable overall but best for ages 11 or 12+.
Adult Written bysky65z January 18, 2014

Jack Ryan is a very entertaining movie and much better than I expected it to be

Jack Ryan shadow recruit surprised me. Coming out in January after being delayed from a Christmas Day release date I was expecting the studio knew it wasn't good so they moved it from the crowded Christmas slate. Maybe it's because of those low expectations I loved this movie. Chris pine does great in the title role and the rest of the cast does great too. The movie is pretty much constant suspense and it has a few good action scenes. Now the content. Violence is stronger than the mission impossible movies but it's just a tad bit less than the Bourne series. Sex-some kissing nothing bad. Profanity- 2 f-words although one is hard to here under a Russian accent. s--t h-ll d--n and g-dd--n appear as well. Overall jack Ryan shadow recruit is a very good spy movie and is the first big pg-13 blockbuster of the year.
Parent Written byDan G. January 18, 2014

Great for adults, but too much objectionable material for children

Another good Jack Ryan film, but really only for adults. The movie depicts an unmarried couple living together as if that is perfectly OK, significant and gory violence and shootings, and the typical disgusting language children should never hear.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKerstinAndrews January 20, 2014

Review for Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

I think it should be fine for mature kids who you believe could handle the violence. It could be perceived as a bit scary for younger Tweens/Teens, but besides that it only has a few cuss words - and overall it's a good movie with lots of action scenes!(: The violence is relentless with many gun, fist, and knife fights throughout. However it is not that much more graphic than a Bourne or Bond movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 January 31, 2014

Fine action thriller

Lots of action and swearing, but interesting story and not overly heavy on mature content.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJeffrey9789 January 18, 2014

A very good action film and so far the best action film of 2014

Jack Ryan shadow recruit is a very good film it has a lot of action, and a very fast pace Chris pine is good as Jack Ryan and Kevin Costner was good as the one who recruited him to the CIA if you like films like mission impossible or James bond this film is for you and it is great for the kids who like action films plus its 1 hour 46 min and it felt like 1 hour so go see this film you will love it and ill buy this one when it comes out on blu ray
Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2014

Good Espionage

An amazing spy thriller. There is violence, innuendo, and language. Only one scene that is hilarious. It might not be for kids 12 or under
Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 6, 2014

13 and up.

this action/adventure movie Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is a great action movie stars with Chris pine good for your teens and parents you need to know that Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit has some intense violence some strong language used and drinking used such as wine and vodka.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNlj2 February 18, 2014

great movie

duh parents exagreate
Teen, 14 years old Written byOlivia T A. February 2, 2014

Enjoyable, high action movie that is great for tweens and up

Jack Ryan is a great spy movie for most older kids. It is a Mission Impossible type movie with a lot of fast paced action. There is a scene where the main couple, who are engaged, are in bed, but only the shoulders are shown. There is one other scene, where the main character drowns someone trying to kill him in a bathtub that is very graphic, showing almost all of the time it takes for the killer to drown. I really enjoyed it, and it's nothing that a teen shouldn't be able to handle, but if you think your children would be hurt by either of those scenes, you should watch something else. Overall, I think that Jack Ryan is a fantastic spy movie, and would be wonderful for anyone who isn't affected by some graphic violence
Written byAnonymous December 22, 2014

Thrilling spy franchise is colorful but somewhat violent

My rating:PG-13 for intense violence and action,brief strong language,partial nudity and drug use
Kid, 11 years old October 11, 2014

See this one

nothing too bad the swearing isn't frequent but does include two uses of f--k and several uses of s--t and bulls--t plus several uses of a-- and a--hole and occasionally h--l d--n godd--n p---y and b---h but nothing else too bad
Teen, 14 years old Written bybnsevy2000 June 20, 2014

Kid, 11 years old May 21, 2014

It wasn't as violent as I expected.

It's almost like there are more violent descriptions than on-screen violence. In the beginning of the movie, Jack's helicopter is blown up and his face is covered in blood. A Russian bad guy threatens Jack by torturing Jack's wife. Sexual content, not much. There is just some kissing. There is surprisingly a lot of profanity. There are also alongside this all some great role models.
Educator and Parent Written byskiddered January 20, 2014

A bit violent, but a fun thriller for young teens and their parents

Violence is on par with Mission Impossible series and some James Bond films; probably not as graphic as some in the Bourne series. The title character is taken aback by his first killing, but there are plenty of killings by both good guys and bad guys alike without any sign of remorse. This is, after all, a political thriller. Some tough-to-understand plot points for the younger set involving high finance and global economics, but most young teens will get the basic ideas.
Teen, 14 years old Written byleakingrye January 19, 2014

Jack

I loved this movie. It was just great. Some stuff but the best
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan October 29, 2014

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit movie review

I not going to lie. "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" is not the best movie on God's green Earth. It's not a bad movie in many ways. In fact, I liked many scenes. "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" is very far from a perfect movie. The movie itself has a very fragile plot. The scenes feel very rushed. That is not a good thing. The characters I did like. They were witty, they were charming and intelligent. Chris Pine plays Jack Ryan as if his life depends on it. Kevin Costner is in my opinion, is the best part of the movie. Costner makes everything better. I did say that "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" has a weak plot, but it does have its moments. There are some moments that are actually suspenseful. However, sometimes I can easily see the fragile nature of the film. Sure it was an okay movie, but I would have liked to seen a little more substance within the movie.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

A well above average thriller

Violence- 3 (Many people are shot and killed) Language- 4 (Uses of s**t and 2 uses of f**k)