All member reviews for Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Teen, 14 years old Written byjmh1000 January 19, 2014

Not too intense

This is one of the first "action" movies in which I really liked the main character. He only kills (wait for it) 2 people in the WHOLE movie. Both of the times he is completely forced to. Their is only two really intense scenes, one in which a man is graphically drowned in a bathtub and another in which a villain threatens to make a women bite on a light-bulb but is stopped at the last second.
Teen, 15 years old Written byironkid21 January 17, 2014

latest Jack Ryan reboot is okay; has its moments...

When I went to the advance screening a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't very fond of it and sort of had a headache during it. This time, I watched it without the headache and...it wasn't so bad. Not a great movie, not a bad one either. The screenplay is pretty messy and sometimes lacking in sense (ex. Jack would not be in that great of condition after being treated after the plane crash), and a lot of the action scenes have too much shaky cam (I will not excuse how horrible the shaky cam is!), but it has some entertaining moments, some really fun action and chase scenes (despite some of the horrible shaky cam), another solid leading role for Chris Pine and another solid supporting role for Kevin Costner! Keira Knightely, while a little bit annoying on one part of the film (if you've guys seen the film, you most likely know what I'm talking about), is decent here and her american accent isn't so bad! Overall, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is not a great film nor a bad one but it's an okay action film with some pretty fun moments and not a bad way to let some time go by...
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 January 18, 2014

Enjoyable even if it's your first jack ryan flick

This was my first Jack Ryan movie, and I enjoyed it very much. Chris pine is Jack Ryan, an previously injured marine who is recruited by the CIA to stop a Russian terrorist plot to destroy the U.S. economy. This movie, to me, was almost flawless. Towards the middle of the movie many scenes lacked action and concentrated to much on conversation and other minor details. Which was important, but was a little excessive. Anyway, when it has it's action it is thrilling and intense with some top notch acting from Chris Pine, Kiera Knightley, Kevin Costner, Kenneth Baragnah (however you spell it), e.t.c. Very enjoyable overall but best for ages 11 or 12+.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKerstinAndrews January 20, 2014

Review for Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

I think it should be fine for mature kids who you believe could handle the violence. It could be perceived as a bit scary for younger Tweens/Teens, but besides that it only has a few cuss words - and overall it's a good movie with lots of action scenes!(: The violence is relentless with many gun, fist, and knife fights throughout. However it is not that much more graphic than a Bourne or Bond movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 January 31, 2014

Fine action thriller

Lots of action and swearing, but interesting story and not overly heavy on mature content.
Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2014

Good Espionage

An amazing spy thriller. There is violence, innuendo, and language. Only one scene that is hilarious. It might not be for kids 12 or under
Teen, 13 years old Written byNlj2 February 18, 2014

great movie

duh parents exagreate
Teen, 14 years old Written byOlivia T A. February 2, 2014

Enjoyable, high action movie that is great for tweens and up

Jack Ryan is a great spy movie for most older kids. It is a Mission Impossible type movie with a lot of fast paced action. There is a scene where the main couple, who are engaged, are in bed, but only the shoulders are shown. There is one other scene, where the main character drowns someone trying to kill him in a bathtub that is very graphic, showing almost all of the time it takes for the killer to drown. I really enjoyed it, and it's nothing that a teen shouldn't be able to handle, but if you think your children would be hurt by either of those scenes, you should watch something else. Overall, I think that Jack Ryan is a fantastic spy movie, and would be wonderful for anyone who isn't affected by some graphic violence
Teen, 14 years old Written byJeffrey9789 January 18, 2014

A very good action film and so far the best action film of 2014

Jack Ryan shadow recruit is a very good film it has a lot of action, and a very fast pace Chris pine is good as Jack Ryan and Kevin Costner was good as the one who recruited him to the CIA if you like films like mission impossible or James bond this film is for you and it is great for the kids who like action films plus its 1 hour 46 min and it felt like 1 hour so go see this film you will love it and ill buy this one when it comes out on blu ray
Kid, 11 years old October 11, 2014

See this one

nothing too bad the swearing isn't frequent but does include two uses of f--k and several uses of s--t and bulls--t plus several uses of a-- and a--hole and occasionally h--l d--n godd--n p---y and b---h but nothing else too bad
Teen, 14 years old Written bybnsevy2000 June 20, 2014

Kid, 11 years old May 21, 2014

It wasn't as violent as I expected.

It's almost like there are more violent descriptions than on-screen violence. In the beginning of the movie, Jack's helicopter is blown up and his face is covered in blood. A Russian bad guy threatens Jack by torturing Jack's wife. Sexual content, not much. There is just some kissing. There is surprisingly a lot of profanity. There are also alongside this all some great role models.
Teen, 14 years old Written byleakingrye January 19, 2014

Jack

I loved this movie. It was just great. Some stuff but the best
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan October 29, 2014

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit movie review

I not going to lie. "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" is not the best movie on God's green Earth. It's not a bad movie in many ways. In fact, I liked many scenes. "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" is very far from a perfect movie. The movie itself has a very fragile plot. The scenes feel very rushed. That is not a good thing. The characters I did like. They were witty, they were charming and intelligent. Chris Pine plays Jack Ryan as if his life depends on it. Kevin Costner is in my opinion, is the best part of the movie. Costner makes everything better. I did say that "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" has a weak plot, but it does have its moments. There are some moments that are actually suspenseful. However, sometimes I can easily see the fragile nature of the film. Sure it was an okay movie, but I would have liked to seen a little more substance within the movie.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

A well above average thriller

Violence- 3 (Many people are shot and killed) Language- 4 (Uses of s**t and 2 uses of f**k)
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmel51kmg365 February 20, 2014

Outstanding movie

I loved it, it had a lot of violence and freaking awesome explosions!
Teen, 15 years old Written byRadelite October 25, 2014

What can I say, movie about secret agents.

This is a good movie but I can't help but feel like secret agent movies end up being about pretty much the same thing(guy gets sent somewhere and ends up being chased or must chase someone else).
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 22, 2015

Kid, 8 years old May 15, 2015

Action packed thriller has lots of brutal violence, language, and racy content.

My rating R for: intense sequences of violence and action, racy content, and language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAVTRlover 4 January 28, 2014

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

This was decent, but not great, it had a lot of slow parts, but it was an overall OK movie. There was some violence, but like I mentioned, there were a lot of slow parts. There was some profanity. One memorable scene involved Jack acting like he was drunk. This was a decent movie, but it was sort-of disappointing because there were parts that bored me. I wouldn't be surprised because of the poor box office and it not being very good, that this reboot doesn't get any sequels.