All member reviews for Jack the Giant Slayer

Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 March 1, 2013

Violent fantasy adventure has dazzling effects, action and humor

Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 3, 2013

superb fairy tale twist has incredible action, but may be too graphic for tweens

another film on my top action movies, Jack the Giant Slayer is one heck of a fun ride. filled with constant action, great actors, and beautiful special effects. even though its a fantasy film, it still has enough destruction and killings to make it way too intense for younger kids. this film continues the streak of violent (and much better) fairy tale movies. its crammed with wall to wall fantasy violence. there are stabbings, slicings, crushings, burnings, people getting eaten onscreen and falling from great heights. giants are killed in those ways also, but i is killed by a giant beanstalk that explodes him and crushes his second head, making an eye fly out. theres also massive destruction with the beanstalk, a bell, and flaming trees. alongside the strong violence, is 1 fully pronounced f**k
Kid, 12 years old March 1, 2013

"Ew" and "Eh?"

Instead of writing a long, drawn out review, there's really a simple way to sum up this movie- "ew" and "eh?". It's definitely not Bryan Singer's best movie, and it's really not that much of a great movie at all. I'd say it's worth one watch, maybe two if you're seeing it in the theaters. I didn't see it in 3D, but I did see it in IMAX, and it's pretty intense in both images and startle scenes/loud sounds. In other words, CSM is right about this one in that it's best for 11 year olds and up. Despite being PG-13, a lot of the deaths are pretty disturbing- giants eat people repeatedly (not gory, but rather gross despite seen from a far in that you can clearly see what's going on). In fact, there are a lot of just gross scenes, in that the giants are really disgusting beings. Once again, the bottom line is "ew" and "eh?". (SPOILERS) Oh, and in one scene, Jack drops a magic bean down a giant's throat and it explodes, kind of in a gory way.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBroadwayFan7 March 12, 2013

Funny, but violent

This movie was rated PG-13, which should make you think twice about bringing your little kids to see it. It had a lot of violence, including people getting eaten, crushed, or dropped by the giants. In one of the scenes, five people are killed by falling off the beanstalk. Later, you see them laying on the ground, dead, however, there is not much blood shown. There are also some scenes where the giants bite off people's heads or break them in half and eat them. The giants are very disturbing, and might frighten younger children. They also show some toilet humor, which isn't funny if you're over 12. There were one or two instances of a character saying 'hell', and one time where a character started to say 'F***', but then died. Despite all the violence, this movie was very entertaining and had some funny parts. It had a good lesson, and the characters were very likeable, except for the giants and one man who appeared to be insane. My whole family liked this movie, even my mom, who usually hates fantasy/action/magical movies. I would reccomend seeing this movie if you're over 13, and aren't disturbed by a little violence. This movie was well-made, and the special effects were great, especially about the beanstalk growing from the sky and falling to earth. Ewan McGregor was excellent in his role as the leader of the palace's army, and the roles of Jack and Isabelle were also very well acted. Overall, I would recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys fantasy or fairy tales shown with a more mature attitude.
Kid, 6 years old March 3, 2013

Good but too violent for small kids

It's a good movie but it's violent. I was very excited because I really like the story of Jack, but there were scenes I couldn't see [spoiler alert] like when a bean falls into a giant's mouth and the beanstalk grows inside of him. A lot of giants eat a lot of people.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnozzlywins August 3, 2013

Exciting twist on the fairy tale!

Jack the giant slayer is a great movie, the giants eat several humans but this is not gory because the camera goes of it. I wouldn't recommend it to younger children, most ten year olds should be able to watch this but I would recommend it to 11 and up.
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2013

Jack the giant slayer

This movie is very good for tweeners and young teens not that bad violence
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew September 21, 2014

Comic violence+potty humor=fun adventure for Tweens and teens

My rating:PG-13 for comic violence and action,sensuality,scary images and thematic elements
Teen, 14 years old Written byDorotea Dukovac August 19, 2014

I dont like it so much

My sister loves it. It is just... boring. I have watched it just from curiosity and... I do not like it.
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2014

REALLY GOOD!!

I liked the movie but a lot of violence.
Kid, 12 years old April 16, 2014

No Name

Not that much action, TOO MUCH SNOGGING
Kid, 8 years old January 3, 2014

JTGS

my 8 year old daughter watched this, it was not too scary.
Kid, 9 years old December 23, 2013

i really liked it

It's a pretty good movie, though it's PG-13, I watched it and I wasn't scared by violence.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhockeyguy August 11, 2013

It's Ok I Guess

Okay, 2 out of 5, because even though it was directed by the director of xmen doesn't mean it's good. It was super boring through the first half but the second half was awesome.
Kid, 11 years old August 11, 2013

It was fairly good with some fantasy action.

My two younger cousins came to see it. The six year old was quite frightened. The eight year old was a bit frightened. Where as I would have been fine with it at that age so it kind of depends who you are. It contains one use of slightly strong language and some milder words.
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2013

Good Fantasy, few laughs

Jack the Giant Slayer is a very good action/fantasy film with memorable laughs. Violence is intense, war breaks out between man and giants, fire burns people to their death, a giant's head pops, and a giant is stabbed. Pigs are cooked and eaten. Language is not bad, not bad at all. "B-----d" and "p--s" are the only swear words said. The scene were the beanstalk breaks Jack's house is scary, and the giants look menacing. 12+
Teen, 13 years old Written byphilip1302 August 8, 2013

All in all the movie is okay.

Kid, 11 years old August 7, 2013

Awesome!!

I loved this movie! It was just like Jack and the beanstalk, but with a little twist. Its perfectly appropriate for kids above the age of 10. I only heard 2 curses in the whole movie. It is very violent but its clean, no blood like everywhere. Warning: It also contains magic and 2 short kisses .
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. July 31, 2013

Sure...

Huhh.........................
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 July 19, 2013

My family enjoyed it (including 8yr old)

Jack the giant slayer is almost like a more violent version than "the princess bride." Jack's life is totally altered when princess Izabelle shows up at his door, lost, and looking for shelter. First, earlier in the movie a runaway monk gave jack magic beans for his horse and promises money, which never happens. This is when jack accidentally gets one wet and grows a giant beanstalk leading directly into the unknown. When princess izabelle is taken up in the beanstalk and jack is left behind, he offers to climb along with the kings best men to save her. Just at the top is land home to evil giants. I won't spoil anymore, but the reasons I think it is ok for 8+ is because there is brief strong language (f--k) and sometimes gruesome violence like eating people and for example a giants eye pops out. Basicly all the violence occurs due to the giants and there's a big battle sequence in the end. 8 and up. Grade A-