Drama based on classic novel is moody, complex.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 16, 2011

the book is better

the book is better but this movie is still awesome!
Adult Written bykhan2705 June 27, 2011

a nice movie, worth watching.

Raised by her aunt Sarah (Sally Hawkins) after her parents die of typhus, young Jane Eyre (Amelia Clarkson) is later shipped off to a stark boarding school as the result of her perceived insolence, and suffers greatly at the hands of the cold, unusually strict administration. Upon turning 18 and completing her education, Jane (Mia Wasikowska) finds work as a governess for Adle Varens (Romy Settbon Moore), the ward of Edward Fairfax Rochester (Michael Fassbender), master of Thornfield Hall. It doesn't take long for the young Adle to warm to Jane, and upon returning home the charming Rochester, too, falls under the spell of his modest yet captivating governess. On what was supposed to be the happiest day of Jane's life, however, a scandalous secret is revealed, and the emotionally shattered governess takes flight. well this is i don't know 5th or 6th movie version of this beloved novel by Charlotte Brontë. i personally haven't read the novel but i do wan't to read it now. i have seen one of its movie, don't remember which one because while watching this movie i was having these Deja vu feelings. this movie was one of my anticipated movies of this year, i was really looking forward to this movie and i am so glad the movie didn't disappointed movie. its a good production and if not perfect but a good adaptation of the novel. this is the story of a girl Jane Eyre, she had a really tragic, lonely and rough childhood. she is in a different isolated type of school system. once she is grown up she goes out into the world and becomes a governess at a place. she is doing her job really well and soon the owner of the house arrives. he is really cold, dark and abrupt master of this house soon and slowly she started feeling for him. both of them actually. but he has a secret, a past that may destroy not just their relationship but their life too. and then the movie goes on but i am not gonna tell any details. Directed by Cary Fakunaga is a good direction if not excellent. Cinematography is superbly perfect, the cold dark atmosphere created in this movie is so delightful to watch as if it casts a magic spell on you. superb visuals of the beautiful countryside that alone makes it a worthwhile adaption. Screenplay is well written but overall lacks a big punch. story is good. i was really into the movie and enjoyed it. art direction and costumes are perfect too. Editing was nice too and so was score. it stars Mia Wasikowska, perfectly cast. i really liked her in this movie, she really did a nice job this girl has a lot of potential. Michael Fassbender was good too, nice job by him, he is so good looking and i am his big fan. it was nice to see him. their overall chemistry was nice too, not much good but still nice and it surprisingly develops slowly and you least expect it too in the beginning but it does. other actors are my favorite Judi Dench, Jamie Bell, Sally Hawkins, Holliday Grainger, Imogen Poots and others. nice performances. this to we is a nice and watchable movie. one of the best movies of the year. Do watch.
Teen, 16 years old Written byawesomenesss June 16, 2014
ok movie I read the book nothing like the movie. there is one scene where he beets and shoots a horse in the head for tripping in a race.
Parent Written bybill colins August 22, 2011

Wonderful movie

My girls 9,10 and 16 adored this film. The speech and manner of this period piece captivated them. A story of love to enchant and old fashioned thinking prompted lots of questions particularly on the strictness of the school, the nasty upper-class attitude and even the social divide between classes of help. Great performances and a great adaptation.
Teen, 13 years old Written byizzy358 March 26, 2011

Great classic

I really loved this movie so so much! Such a classic. I'm reading the book right now, and the movie left out a lot of scenes, but hey, what can you do? You can't fit everything in a movie I guess
Teen, 16 years old Written byBookNerd1 October 5, 2013

Left out a lot of stuff from the book!

They left out a ton of stuff from the book. I'm not going to go into all that they left out! Its an ok movie. I felt like I didn't get into the story very much. I honestly didn't care much for Jane. And some of the main events in the book felt rushed in this movie. I don't really think this was worth the watch. Read the book instead. It's way better! btw the "lingering shot on a nude painting" isn't bad. It's a little random and has nothing to do with the movie but it wasn't bad. It was a little dark but not nearly as dark as the book!
Adult Written bylmtrav May 30, 2013

Best Adaptation of the Novel

I have read the novel many times, and I find this to be the best adaptation of it. Many of the other adaptations just didn't quite get the core of the story right. This version does a great job of incorporating the more Gothic elements of the original work. Mia Wasikowska is excellent as Jane and actually was around the right age for the role. (one version has a 31-year-old playing the 18-year-old character) Michael Fassbender is by far the best Rochester I've seen and makes this movie really great. So many other actors completely overdo the character. I also enjoyed that this version gave much more attention to the second half of the novel. So many other versions only give it about 10 to 20 minutes when it is half the book. It is very crucial to the plot and point of the story so it is nice to see someone not decide to cut it out. The movie itself is briefly violent at times including a scene with a pretty nasty and bloody wound. However, most older kids should be fine. However, children should be reasonably mature before they watch this movie or read the story to grasp a fuller enjoyment of it. It is a very complex and thought-provoking story that takes a certain level of maturity to understand.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2011

What do you want to see in a movie?

This movie is very dark, but very good. Jane is a good role model in that she is different and realizes it when people are being cruel or mean in ways. This does cost her because she is lower class, and the movie makes sure you realize it several times. Richer people don't treat her very nicely, and in a part a boy is teasing her, then he hits her and she bleeds. She fights back and gets punished for it. Sad and unjust moments like this are common. But there are lighter parts in the movie. The reason I have chosen 12 and up for this movie is for these very moments, when you wonder when it's going to get better for Jane, instead of watching a cat beat the smaller smarter mouse into silence. There is no strong language or any of the things that give a movie an R rating. There is a happy ending for our heroine, and that is what I look for.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJaneEyre<3 August 22, 2011

YES!YES!YES!

I'm so happy! I watched this with my mom and sisters, and I ABSOLUTELY adore this version. If you read the book(which I have) the movie is rushed to an extent of wow,but then they had to get it under 2 hours and they keep pretty darn close to the story. Mia was the best possible Jane(she's my fav.)and Rochester is the best. and finally they got St.John RIGHT!! WATCH IT.....
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 8, 2011

i rate this title ON for ages 12+

The good stuff * Messages: The movie's take-away is that, yes, life can be chillingly, relentlessly difficult, but you have a choice: You can let it defeat you or embolden you. Also, that true love finds its way. Role models: Jane herself is a determined young lady, but for the most part, women and children are treated like chattel in the movie's 19th century setting. It’s very difficult for women like Jane to find someone who will treat them as equals. It’s disheartening to see how men (and other women) approach her and behave toward her; some are dismissive, and others are heartless -- but at least one man is prepared to buck conventions and see her as an equal. What to watch out for * Violence: A woman lunges at a man with brute force; he and others have to hold her down. A teenage boy hits a young girl with a book. A headmaster pretty much invites a young girl’s classmates to shun her for supposedly having misbehaved; he humiliates her in public. Talk of how a character commits suicide (jumping to her death). * Sex: Passionate embraces and kissing between a young woman and her older male employer. Images (relatively brief) of a painting of a fully naked woman. * Language: Not an issue. * Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, &amp; smoking: Era-accurate social drinking.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoviegirl100 December 30, 2013

Give it a try

This film is a period drama and I don't particularly like them but something about this film made me sit and watch all of it
Teen, 16 years old Written bypeace.luv.az October 10, 2011

I'm still awake!

I waited forever for this to come out and I was very excited because I had just read the book. I was very shocked by this movie because most based-on-a-classic-novel movies don't follow the book at all or are really boring. This followed the book perfectly and I enjoyed the way it was set up. No major concerns at all. 5 stars miss eyre!
Parent Written byLady Ren September 18, 2011

Masterly Interpretation of Jane Eyre

I thoroughly enjoyed this remake of Jane Eyre. A novel I have loved from a child. It didn't try to move away from the book and kept to the point. Dark brooding yet hopeful. Acting superb. The audience was spell bound and you could hear a pin drop at the end.WonderfulMaste