Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Jaws

'70s classic horror tale is still scary as ever.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bywmoon6744 May 31, 2015
Best Movie Ever! Isn't That Bloody And Scary For Me. But Iffy For 4 And 5 Year Olds. Overall. 6 And 7 Year Olds Should Be Fine With It.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bySuperParent August 29, 2009
Best Speilberg Film! reccomend it for all ages!

Adult Written byMasterPlayer2342 July 30, 2011

An awesome thrilling adventurer film!

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I saw it 4 weeks before I was 11 years, and it rocked! but some parts had too much blood, it has some swearing and smoking, But other then that it was a blast! It was the first horror Movie I've ever seen and I don't think it's that scary! It's just thrilling and exiting! 5 Stars WATCH IT!

Parent of a 11 year old Written bycoolmom11 August 18, 2019

not at all 13+

AWESOME! TOTALLY APPROPRIATE FOR YOUNG KIDS

Adult Written byChloe Lynn Cui ... June 25, 2019

Ages 10+

Ages 10 and up
Parent of a 8 year old Written byOllie_review June 20, 2019

MY FAVORITE MOVIE!

bit scary, but awesome! I hid under some blankets in about 3 scenes, but it was was not to scary; the sunken heads were pathetic, only rare swearing, and a bit of drinking/smoking

Parent of a 12 year old Written byBeryle C. May 17, 2019

The most amazing movie ever but some gruesome scenes so not appropriate for young children

Great!! Make sure to watch this as a family though. I am 12 and there still were some scenes when even I had to turn my head away.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byHermione87 April 26, 2019

Best movie ever

Let me first say that jaws is the best movie ever made. My MPAA Rating: PG13. For people who think it has too much blood it’s a shark movie of coarse it has blood. Nothing too intense the bloodiest things include a severed leg a had sticking out of the sand and blood coming out of a mans mouth. I think any mature 10 year old would be fine with this. Remember it’s the 20th century and kids don’t get scared as easily. Also one more thing is that the main character smokes a lot just thought I should add that.

Adult Written byThe BBFC Official April 13, 2019

Jaws

I advise people not to pay attention to the 7+ reviews as they are just nonsense. Jaws is scary and violent. Lots of gushing blood and many jumpscares. We see cut off limbs everywhere, and a young boy around 11 yrs old on a yellow float is brutally gored to death. One of the three main character is eaten by the shark. Lots of blood sprays everywhere and it’s awful to watch. That aside, the movie has a good storyline and I would recommend it for older teens

Parent of a 15 year old Written bysprinkles577345 April 5, 2019

Sharks' Violence Overdone- Have Fun Trying to Stomach This...

Sharks are not as violent as in this movie. There were a lot of suspenseful scenes, and we had to fast-forward through most of it, otherwise very boring and miscommunications of sharks. There was blood and gore, and the last fourth of the movie was hard to watch, so we turned it off.

Adult Written byJeff A. March 4, 2019

Classic Film That Should Have Recieved An R Rating

It's without question that Jaws is a classic, and is without a doubt the best killer shark movie ever made! This film was rated PG by the MPAA when it was released in 1975, however, regardless of its PG rating Jaws is very violent and has some pretty graphic and bloody shark attack scenes. If this film came out today, it would most definitely receive an R rating. Great film but definitely not for very young viewers, I'd say it's suitable for teens ages 15 and up.

Adult Written bykjnrooye December 10, 2018

Jaws

This movie has more blood then the meg um a man gets slaughterd and their is dexual stuff cusing
Adult Written byArrrrrrrrrr antwon November 24, 2018

Pg-14

Look I watched this movie but why is it PG it should be PG-13 strong language strongle violence and some female nreif nudity

Adult Written byGreenThumb October 1, 2018

Good film.

Might scare the bejeebers out of young small kids like toddlers. Great film !

Adult Written byawesomeparent September 21, 2018

Okay but not for families with little kids

Good for kids that are good with scary things but be careful

Adult Written byBigboi12 September 17, 2018
Great shark film but not suitable for everyone. Might come as a shock but jaws was originally rated a PG which was totally wrong because of the violence and brief language. The violence is what kept people off guard because people thought it was a PG shark film whereas it wasn’t. The violence is quite strong for a kids film with lots of blood including Quinn’s death at the end of the film being the most brutal and most violent with blood spurting out of his mouth and body. Language isn’t bad just a few s-words. I’m glad it is rated 12 so now parents know not to show it to kids who are young because it is inappropriate. Great shark film but not for all kids.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byBinge W. July 30, 2018

TV-14

My MPAA rating: PG-13 for some strong violence, some language, Smoking, and brief nudity.

My parents guide:

Violence 4/5
People are killed and blood is Shown. Severed arms are shown. Plus dumb intense action.

Sex: 2/5
A couple kisses at the beginning and there is some flirting and A woman takes her shirt off but no nudity is shown just her bare butt is shown.

Smoking, alcohol, drugs: 2/5
People are shown smoking

Language 3/5
The S word, ass and SOB are said

Adult Written byblahblahblahbla... July 19, 2018

Best for older children

I think that Jaws is a very good classic movie to watch in the summer. I recommend that you don't let your 5 year old watch jaws as it contains some bloody and gory scenes. There is a scene where the remains of a once drunk woman that was clearly eaten by a shark. Another thing that happened is one of the main characters gets grabbed by the shark and spits blood everywhere.There is also a scene where you see a fisherman (or what was left of him) with one eye. In that scene you can see the veins/cords of where the eye was. It may be a little disturbing for younger children so I recommend 11+. There is also a lot of drinking involved. It was overall a very good movie but if you have a weak stomach or have bad nightmares often you might never want to go swimming again.

Adult Written byMatt B. April 21, 2018

This movie has a scene with marijuana, NOT for 13+

How can you say that this is appropriate for 13+? The violence is not the reason for me saying this, it's because of the marijuana shown on screen. This movie should be rated R. I don't know how this got by with PG-13.
Parent Written byJacob m. February 23, 2018

You're Gonna Need A Bigger Boat!

Jaws is considered a classic for many reasons. It’s acting is superb, with Richard Dreyfuss being a stand-out performance. It was phenomenal. The violence is there, the film is considered to have some of the best practical effects ever. The blood is obviously fake, like, if your kid can think logically and understand that humans don’t produce as much blood as the film suggests then its fine. The only real problem as far as violence goes (this is not a spoiler it happens in the first 30 minutes) is a kid does get eaten. But it's just that there a fine line between scary (witch this film is) and violent (witch this film mostly isn't). It is amazing though. But then Quint enters the picture, he came in at the beginning asking for a lot of money to catch the shark, that wasn't the problem. Towards the beginning part of the second half of the movie, they gave him a bigger part. Witch was mabey a bad choice. It's not that Robert Shaw was not good in the part, that's not at all what I’m saying, he is a great actor. But I don’t know if it's that they didn't develop him enough or they developed him way too much for too long of a time, but Quint was incredibly unrelatable and boring. But that did not stop me from LOVING the first hour and the last 30 minutes. It’s just that 2 hours and four minutes is a LONG runtime for a film. But that aside anyone (particularly if they are a filmgoer) has to see this masterpiece. And no surprise Steven Spielberg is the director.