All member reviews for Joe

Indie drama is well made but extremely grim and brutal.

Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah May 3, 2014

Fine. That's all I can really say.

I honestly don't have that much to say about this. It's fittingly realistic, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's interesting. It has its moments but tends to feel like it's made specifically to showcase the actors (who are all very good). It's well-made, but the pacing isn't that good. 6.2/10, okay, one thumb (barely) down, average, etc.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJustin Rivera July 17, 2014

Powerful and amazing

Carrying some of the most emotionally entrancing performances of the year by far, Nicholas Cage and Gary Poulter in particular, "Joe" delivers itself almost perfectly. Carrying heavy themes such as alcoholism, regret, family turmoil and the grim side of a southern US lifestyle, "Joe" manages to be haunting, grim and bleak while still being optimistic about the future. Nicholas Cage delivers without a doubt, his greatest performance in recent memory, I defy the academy to see this and not consider him for a nomination. It's not just Cage, everyone was absolutely amazing in this film, delivering very genuine and believable performances. This film not only carries enchanting performances, but is also extremely well made, carrying truly gorgeous shots of the wilderness and an ominous yet truly hypnotic score, "Joe" is one of the best watches of the year for all audiences. As for content, the film isn't something young children should see, "Joe" carries some rather disturbing but infrequent violence, including senseless murder, brutal child abuse and some shootings. The film also carries some somewhat inexplicit sexual content, not much if not any nudity, there is a brothel in the film but there is only one scene with real sexual content. There is some very salty language. Nicholas Cage's character, though he is flawed, is a strong and protective person, particularly to a teen who has an alcoholic and abusive father, and does everything he can to keep him out of harms way.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 July 12, 2014

Brutal, realistic, with an actually very good Cage

Anyone who's been on the internet for over a year can tell you Nic Cage is the king of B-movie schlock, but he's (hopefully) turned his career around with this gritty, depressing depiction of a man just bound to not get his life together. He's well-respected in his backwoods neighborhood, except by Willie, a man born to pick fights with the likes of Joe. His interactions with these characters, most importantly Gary, who he's a bit of a role model to, build who the man really is. It was unexpectedly violent, with some very un-Hollywood sex scenes and a lot of cursing, so it's mostly for mature teens looking for some alternative, southern drama.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTeenageCritic100 December 29, 2015

Brutal grim drama is hard to watch.

To be honest, I didn't like this movie much. It got pretty good reviews elsewhere and I was disappointed. I will say that Nicolas Cage's performance was undoubtedly one of his better ones and Tye Sheridan is impressive as well (go see Mud if you want to see him in a truly excellent movie). There's a lot of language, heavy violence, and some pretty sexual scenes. I handle violence pretty well but cringed during some parts. All in all, this movie was okay, but I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you really think that you'd be into it. There's supposed to be a message of an ex-con redeeming himself but I really didn't see it that way. He smokes and drinks a lot. He did help a young boy but also proved himself to be hotheaded, brash, and quick to violence, so that could be misleading. Parents - I would use good judgement. As a teenager who can handle mature themes, I probably wouldn't have shown me this.