All member reviews for John Carter

Mars-based action epic has strong fantasy violence.

Parent of a 11 year old Written bychilipeppr March 10, 2012

great family movie

Let me begin by saying I was reluctant to let any of our kids see this movie, but my husband won that argument. Their ages are 11, 10, 8, and 4 (yes, 4) and they all went to see it tonight. It was almost non-stop violence and action but for the most part it never seemed gruesome or unnecessary. I glanced over at our 4 year old about a hundred times during the movie to make sure he wasn't traumatized and not once did I see him get upset. There's a scene in Monster's Inc. that he is terrified of, by the way. All in all, I thought it was appropriate for any kids who don't get scared too easily and who have an interest in "fantasy/sci fi plots." There were a few offensive words throughout, but unless you see a G movie, curse words of some sort are unavoidable. All in all it was a better movie than I anticipated, less scary than I had imagined, and less sexual content and language than the official review led on. Our family of six all give it 5 stars!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bykimt803 March 11, 2012

John Carter Deserves Acclaim

I was not looking forward to seeing this movie as I was not familiar with the story and previews did not entice me. However, I loved the movie. I do believe the PG-13 rating is appropriate. Some language and scant clothing might not be appropriate for some families with younger teens. However, most kids have heard worse and seen worse in day to day life. Violence might overwhelm some kids but the bloodiest battle results in a covering of blue blood that resembles tempera paint. This is a movie that families can discuss. The lead female plays a strong and intelligent character who plays a princess and a professor who is on the brink of a discovery that could save her community from evil enemies. Loyalty and commitment to family and community are also positive themes. I am now intrigued to read the book.
Kid, 11 years old March 12, 2012

just for me

Its the best movie! But some parents should know that its a little scary for kids under 11 and has some blood horror scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 March 10, 2012

jhgy

Boring Mars Movie is Chunky and Boring but Adventures and Weird
Educator Written byTLSyrie March 11, 2012

John Carter: Star Trek Meets Indiana Jones

We saw this movie as a family: my husand, 9 year old son, and me. We all gave it a thumbs up. Although there is violence, I was never overwhelmed by it. It was never too gruesome and not one of those movies where the violence seems the lead, where it takes over as the major theme. Even PG movies these days have the language, so a little of that doesn't bother me. Our son knows those words are only said by adults. It is a highly entertaining movie, and the two hours and twenty minutes went by far too quickly. Unless your young child is very sensitive, I think it's a great family movie. We can't wait to see John Carter Mars, part 2. The Youngs
Kid, 10 years old March 10, 2012

Guns and awesome

Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2012

vilont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parent of a 12 year old Written bysunflowers1 March 12, 2012

Great Movie and get away from all the TV junk

Our 12 yr old son loved it. He loves sci fi, Star Wars/Harry Potter/Indian Jones. At times he said he was even bored! However, he was on the edge of his seat a couple of times. It was long but we became totally ensconced. Have fun and go see this!
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byHappy-mom March 21, 2012

BIG disappointment!!!

This must be the worst Disney picture ever!! I just couldn't believe this was a Disney production! I could not wait for the movie to be over. It is too long, unbelievably boring, has very poor acting and was, for me, a BIG disappointment. Please, don't waste your time on this one!!
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byFruitpunch March 22, 2012

Not worth it

My son (age 9) and I went to see this movie with no expectations. We have not read the books. He and I both agreed this was the worst Disney movie ever. Seriously can't believe they put this out. Maybe if you have read the books it means more to you? If not, don't waste your time.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byJopersis March 23, 2012

Surprisingly delightful gem!

It is unfortunate the critics have not been kind to this movie. We took our 10 year old son and found it delightful. Adventurous, entertaining, and big on special effects. The story can be a little confusing at times, as there is a lot going on. As for the "gory" scenes mentioned in the review, the monster scene is not unexpected and really isn't that bad. Just an "ewwww" moment that had my son laughing! The decapitation scene is lightening fast with no gore and little time focused upon it. You barely know it happened! Despite what the critics say, we found this an unexpected pleasure. Sadly, it will lose impact and brilliance when it makes its way to video/small screen, so see it in the theater while you can!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn March 27, 2012

Special effects and a king-sized budget do not make a great movie. This is proven here.

John Carter, which wasn't nearly as anticipated as this weekends recent box-office smash, the Hunger Games, but definitely much more long-awaited, was obviously distended for failure, which really is shame, because the film has the directing talents of arguably the best director at Pixar, Andrew Stanton (Wall-e, Finding Nemo, Walt Disney Pictures backing the film up with a $250,000,000 budget, plenty of advertising and even some rather excessive rewrites and reprinting of the original novels, just to prepare for the arrival of this film. And than cam March 9, and this movie flopped on it's butt, taking in about $30,000,000 at the Box Office, on it's opening weekend. Yeah. That is bad. No, that isn't just bad, that is like the sound of 4,000 Walt Disney visual animating and sound editing workers being fired. First last March's Mars Needs Moms, and now Disney next Mars themed film, which arguably had much more to live up to, and than it all came crashing down. Oh well. Now, since I got the films recent box office failure out of the way, it's time to get to the review of the actual film, overall. Now, for all of it's misguided production and messy budget, I can say this for the film, though: Th special effects look fantastic. Really, I saw this film in Imax 3D, and that was the one thing that really impressed me about this film. But, once you get past that, John Carter is really nothing more than a very long 132 minute wannabe epic that comes off feeling more like a 21st century Dune, than the messianic Science-Fiction masterpiece that so many fans hoped it to be. With Taylor Kitsch cast as the main character, our hero, John Carter, h actually does do pretty much all he can with the role that h is given, but he unfortunately, he gives so many weak and bored line readings that they remind us of how weak and bored we are of watching this whole thing. But, on a slightly better note in the acting department, Lynn Collins manages to pull of a fairly decent role as the warrior queen, who actually made a pretty good one, herself. Also good here, is Willem Dafoe, in the body of a tall green martian, who gives a few of the films funnier lines and moments, as well. But, aside from that, most of the cast is just the same old hum drum characters that you would usually expect to see in a movie like this. Another minus, would be the equally misguided action and battle sequences, which feels so un-engaging that you can almost see Andrew Stanton standing off-screen, throwing his money at the cast, shouting "Make more Explosions! Come on, people! W have all this money, so we might as well use it" But, no, seriously people, that is rally what a large majority of this film unfortunately felt like. So, with the rarity of being a PG-13 Rated Walt Disney movie, here's is most of the films objectionable content: There is plenty of intense fantasy violence, with a increasingly surprising amount of brutality, mostly involving the green martians, with some battle sequences involving and including, slashing, hacking, decapitation, dismemberment, characters bursting from the stomachs of gigantic ape-like creatures, characters being shot in early scenes, and even an implied but completely off-screen torture scene. Also included here, is one very quick and off-screen aftermath of a sex scene at the very end of the movie, which hides most of the important body parts of both characters. And, finally, there is infrequent and mild language throughout the film as well, which mostly consists of words such as g-dd-mn, hell and d-mn. So, is John Carter a complete waste of time? Well, not exactly, no, with all of the special effects misguided opportunities and strong ideas hiding underneath an undercurrent of too much money being thrown at the screen, this film is still definitely worth watching for the one big reason, of watching something that could have been so much more.
Kid, 9 years old June 15, 2012

JOHN CARTER

Great and violent book based Mars fantasy.
Kid, 11 years old April 14, 2012

Really NOT THAT BAD.

The title of this review reflects my opinion of both the movie and the (for lack of better word) inappropriateness. The movie itself wasn't exactly amazing (certainly not as good as the Pirates of the Caribbean series or Avatar movie, both of which were produced by the same people), but it also certainly had a better plot than other visual spectacles such as Tron: Legacy. The special effects were put in when needed, not overdone, and really simply amazing. For once, I personally think the acting/plot and the CGI really blended well. Also, one thing my friends and I all agreed on was that while the female lead seemed independent and not stereotyped, it seemed as though the studio was trying to hard to make her seem anti-sexist. Besides, all she did half the movie was complain. Basically, sex or violence or all that stuff was not really terrible. There was a somewhat grotesque slaughter scene where a lot of blue blood flew, but other than that, nothing I can remember was particularly offensive other than one scene where the Princess of Mars climbed out of bed partially naked (you could see no straps or clothing on her shoulders, but lower down she was wrapped in her blanket.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bySavvy_Mommy March 29, 2012

Great movie for older kids and families.

There is a lot of violence and somewhat suggestive material/brief strong language. I would not recommend this for younger kids, but did see it with my tween. It was a great movie with a good message about standing up for what you believe in.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieWizard April 28, 2012

Nice change in scenery.

Educator Written byLadymagpie June 18, 2012

John Carter is a blast. Good clean action adventure.

It was very well done. The violence is far less than in many current police/dective dramas. I loved these books as a teen. The film does a good job of capturing the flavor of this classic tale. If you were ever a fan of Tarzan, John Carter will suit your taste for clean action adventure.
Parent Written byokbill June 10, 2012

Mars Adventure, reminds kids the importance of science, dreams & possibilities

Good story about a man who has lost all, only to be lucky enough to find it all again. Of course plenty of cool sci-fi characters, a princess and world to save, and heart to be mended with a new purpose.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLegoGamer123 May 29, 2012

John Carter

John Carter has quite a bit of blood, though it's blood from aliens and it's blue so it's not real blood, but it's a boring movie that doesn't make a lot of sense and many things are poorly explained if it's explained at all
Educator and Parent Written bySheriS June 16, 2012

Good action movie for preteens

Good action packed movie for the preteens. Nothing alarming about the movie...other than a very cute "dog".