All member reviews for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Stage musical successfully brought to the screen.

Teen, 13 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 June 26, 2011

:-) i'm in the play - it's awesome

I haven't actually seen the MOVIE, but I'm in the PLAY and it's a great storyline, especially for Christians like myself!!! (hahahaha) (follow up - the play is now over. so sad. but it was still tons of fun and i loved it! still a great message!)
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN February 5, 2011

An educational Christian movie.

This movie is very educational and funny for young kids and parents alike. Told through song, kids easily access the meaning of Joseph and his struggles while also being thoroughly entertained. The only thing that worries me about this movie is some of the outfits; some are a little skin-tight and at times Joseph's (Donny Osmond) clothing is a little too short.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFathomT January 8, 2015

Dead

I normally don't like movie musicals. The main reason for this is that without being in the audience, a lot of the time the performers seem to give off no energy and kinda look dead. There are a quite a few exceptions, Chicago almost (almost) works better on screen, Into the Woods perfectly captures the wit and darkness of the stage production, Mamma Mia is fun and the only thing wrong with 2012 Les Mis is Russell Crowe. However, there are many examples of really crappy movie musicals, The Producers fails to capture the screwball energy it should, all the NBC live productions feature at least 3 weak links, and this has no good performances, is so freaking over the to cheesy, and has no energy from anywhere. The only thing that makes me not rate this 1 star is that it has a so-bad-it's-good theme (that gets really old fast) and really great music. Buy a cast album instead. If telling a kid this won't help, then the only thing wrong with tis is one number where Joseph's boss's wife tries to seduce him, and then has what I think is some kind of orgy with him after he won't comply. Most kids won't pick up on the sexual side, but from personal experience, I can tell you that there aren't a lot of things creepier than a 5 year old constantly repeating the line "come and lie with me in love" (a line from the movie.). Plus, Joseph's dad is very obviously a polygamist. Not really OK for the youngest, but the oldest will hate it.
Adult Written byVinnie01 November 7, 2010

I think this movie is great is this did bring back old school time memories realating to the story
Teen, 13 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

not frightening........

My 4 year old sister & I both saw this. She enjoyed it a lot, I looked at appropriateness, here's what I came up with. this isn't a frightening movie at all, anyoe could see this without being scared. But it had a little inapropriatness, a lot of scenes are filmed with a bare chested man (mostly Joseph) so it can be inapropriate for some parents, there's a lot of flirting and possibly sex in one scene with potiphar's wife and Joseph. a lot of people near the Pharoh wear clothes that you can see an outline. also there are some scenes with smoking and alchohol. I'd say this is alright for little kids but sensitive parents might find this inapropriate.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDominicboo1 June 22, 2013

Colorful and Charming.

Joseph and the Amazing Techincolor Dreamcoat is a charming retelling of the old story. Joseph himself is a good role model by using his gifts resourcefully and is very forgiving towards his brothers. Jacob is a polygamist and choose the son of his favorite wife (Joseph)as his favorite son and makes no effort in hiding it. Potiphar's wife seduces Jacob (it's pretty mild however). It has some things you might worry about, but it's nothing worse than what would be in the actual Bible. The songs particularly Any Dream Will Do are all wondeful!
Kid, 12 years old February 21, 2010

AMAZING MUSIC

THIS MOVIE IS AMAZING. disregard the views below. the music and visuals are fantastic and donnie osmond is great. ive watched this all my life. it also helps teach the story in the bible. lil sexy at some parts.
Kid, 11 years old May 22, 2015

Nice show, good for school plays and watching at theatres. But old fashioned and a predictable happy ending. And obviously Jacob has divorced up to 12 wives.
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE June 7, 2010

Awesome musical!

Next to Cats (also written by Andrew Lloyd Webber), Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat is my favourite musical! At first I thought it'd be overrated, but I was quite mistakened. It's got amazing music, it's funny, and if you're looking for a Biblical kind of movie (this I think has to do with both the Christian and Jewish religion since the story of Joseph is in the Old Testament... right?) then you're right on target. Not only that but it's not very long-- it's a short musical (did you know the original 1st draft of the musical was only a few minutes?), a little over an hour. The only concern for your kids would be the costumes-- some of them are a bit dirty; and then there's the Potiphar scene, which very dirty and is pretty disturbing... plus, Donny Osmond (Joseph) is shirtless for the vast majority of the movie. o_o A liiiiittle weird... Anyway, my favourite song in the musical is Go Go Go Joseph! It's extremely catchy. My sisters and I sing it around the house all the time. XD I also like Close Every Door. It's very touching. We had to sing it in chorus a few years ago. And Pharaoh's Dream Explained is another one of those easily-stuck-in-your-head songs. This is a musical that shouldn't be missed!
Kid, 11 years old March 21, 2010

It's really great! (Barely mentions god, if your concerned about it.) And is just a great story.There is one scene that if your a very sensetive parent, you may not want your child to see this, in potiphar's house, which is joseph's master after he is sold into slavery, mrs. potiphar flirts with him. there are many fully clothed dancers, just with a little risqu'e feautures. and a goat is attachked, but is easily seen as a manequin. i sugest going on youtube and looking for these certain scenes, and then deciding for yourself. Again, great movie! i watched it all the time when i was little!
Adult Written bywallyk2334 June 29, 2009

My kids love it. They started watching it when they were 3 and 5. It is good for long car rides when you have listen to what they are watching, the music is very catchy :-)
Kid, 10 years old June 21, 2009

not bad at all!

well, it's not bad at all. Yes there is a scene that might be a little bit sexual, and a little bit of violence,(though it's a mannequin.) But otherwise very vgood movie.